Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > 185,000 BTUs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2013, 04:26 PM   #51
thadius856
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 574 Times on 250 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by looneybomber View Post
My first thought was "Holy hell he is going to warp the Sh.. out of that pan", then I saw him use metal utensils in a teflon pan
Mmmm. Nope, that's not teflon.

Woks are usually carbon steel. So that makes them cheap. Sub-$20 for a household size machine-stamped wok that can last decades. Like cast iron, it needs to be treated to prevent rusting.

The black stuff you're probably mistaking for teflon is the patina and conditioning the he has given the wok over years of use. Brand new woks come out dull grey, darker than polished aluminum. You have to scrub the machine oil off, then condition them.

Some use leeks and peanut oil to condition. Others use vegetable oil sprays (PAM) and bake it on in an oven. Woks are never washed, only wiped down.

My wife's Wok is arriving from China soon. Most are stamped, but since hers was her Valentine's present (she loves cooking Asian food), I'm getting hers hand-made by an artisan. The cost was several times more than an entry-level wok, but hopefully it's something we can hand down to our kids when we croak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eWoks
It takes one highly skilled worker 6 straight hours to make the diameter 36cm wok, 12 hours to make diameter 50cm wok, 2 workers 2 days to make 64cm wok!!!

Thadius Miller, Project Manager -> RaspberryPints

Before you build a keezer, look at this!
Chest Freezer Spec Sheets and Layout Drawings (15 models and counting)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2013, 10:17 PM   #52
Hopper77
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 11 Posts

I finally brewed using my new burner last night. It brought the strike and sparge water up slower than I thought it would. It did good in the boil. I opened it up full throttle and watched the temp jump 20 degrees almost instantly. At the end of my 60 minute boil I still had to boil off 1 gallon to get down to 5. Took the hops out and cranked the heat up. Boiled off in no time at all. Like 10 minutes. For me using a little more propane is worth it if it saves me time.

Old 03-03-2013, 12:57 AM   #53
stompbox
Served up in the backyard

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Same here. As a parent of 9 month old twins. My time is worth way more than a few bucks

Old 03-03-2013, 01:22 AM   #54
onthekeg
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Yup, me too. Thats why I spent a dime and turned up my 5500w electric unit at the end for 20 minutes. I couldn't turn it all the way up as it would have thrown out liquid, but turned it up a little. It would have cost me .28 to run it for a full hour, but as it was only at 80% for 15 min, it was less than a dime. I pay .07/KWH here.

Old 03-03-2013, 02:07 AM   #55
thadius856

Recipes 

Liked 574 Times on 250 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthekeg View Post
Yup, me too. Thats why I spent a dime and turned up my 5500w electric unit at the end for 20 minutes. I couldn't turn it all the way up as it would have thrown out liquid, but turned it up a little. It would have cost me .28 to run it for a full hour, but as it was only at 80% for 15 min, it was less than a dime. I pay .07/KWH here.
Big difference. We heat the bottoms and sides of our kettles, hoping some of the heat makes it to the wort before it floats away into space. You heat your wort. The kettle gets warm as a side-effect.

Jealous of your 7c/KWH. I pay 10c/KWH, and I'm on the state's low income price tier.

I offset my propane costs by striking and sparging with natural gas on the stove top. 100k BTU of natural gas (1 therm) costs me $0.48. 100k BTU of propane costs me $4.23 (at $3.85/gal).

My $0.48 therm is equivalent to 31.8 of your $0.07 kWh, so your electricity is about 4.65x more expensive before we apply an efficiency co-efficient.

Thadius Miller, Project Manager -> RaspberryPints

Before you build a keezer, look at this!
Chest Freezer Spec Sheets and Layout Drawings (15 models and counting)

Old 03-06-2013, 09:51 AM   #56
Clef051
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I just ordered mine yesterday

Old 03-06-2013, 02:50 PM   #57
D_Nyholm
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthekeg View Post
I was considering using a heat stick to supplement stove top boils until I realized we pay .22/KWH here wish I had your price, it is going to be brutal this summer with the a/c and pool filter on!

Old 03-06-2013, 05:23 PM   #58
formula2fast
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

http://www.blichmannengineering.com/...d_modular.html
Click on the tab that says burner data and see what Blichmann says about the BTU's of burners.

If you don't want to link to the page, here is what they said. There are also a few graphs on the page.

We weren't satisfied with selecting just any burner for the TopTier™, so we developed and tuned our own! While many manufacturers claim an impressive BTU capability, all they're talking about is the input energy -NOT- the actual energy entering the pot! Isn't the whole point to heat wort not the atmosphere?

Our requirements?
•High efficiency
•Fast heating
•Non rusting fume free stainless frame
•Excellent outdoor flame stability
•Quiet operation
•Great low setting performance without yellow flame ( blackens bottom of pot)

Our Result:

A 72,000 BTU/hr burner that is a great blend of heating power and efficiency - and does so whisper quietly! In addition, low flame combustion is clean, wind performance is outstanding, and the heavy stainless construction is built to last a lifetime! For operation on natural gas expect 15% less power and 15% longer heating times due to the lower BTU contelt of natural gas vs. propane.

We also documented that the published BTU of competitive burners varied wildly from actual measured results. And measuring the performance is straightforward: simply run the burner for an hour at full power and measure the weight of the propane used in lb. Then multiply the weight in lb X 21,000 to get the burner rating in BTU/hr. For example. the Bayou Classic has a published rating of 180 KBTU/hr but only measured at 68 KBTU/hr!

TieBEERio Brewing Co. - We litrally have armadillos in our trousers.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:52 PM   #59
Fordzilla
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 34

So the Bayou classic, according to Blichmann, puts out 4k BTU less and sells for about 1/4 the price? Sounds like the Bayou is the smarter buy.

Old 04-27-2013, 03:25 AM   #60
Hopper77
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 11 Posts

Update.

Still awesomeness. I love this burner not only for the price but for the time it saves. I don't mind one bit spending a little bit more on propane. And that's usually only when I crank it up wide open. I can say I've found my burner. Won't buy anything else

Quick Reply