*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > 1800 IPA: Pseudo-historic IPA recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2013, 10:06 PM   #51
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2052 Times on 1792 Posts
Likes Given: 1518

Cue appropriate music...
http://

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 06:56 AM   #52
patto1ro
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbx View Post
Ron, do you know when dry hops would have been added to an early 1800s IPA? Would fresh hops added before the year long secondary or did they add them in the cask before shipping and serving? The book wasn't clear on that.
Loftus, writing in the 1850's, recommends 2 lbs per barrel of dry hops when the beer is racked into storage casks, i.e. at the start of secondary fermentation.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:20 AM   #53
gbx
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by patto1ro View Post
I lurk a lot. I only post when I think I can contribute soemthing.

Funnily enough, I just got an email from Kristen about the reason for delay in Let's Brew recipes. Blame his kids (they've wrecked two laptops) and his brewery. The good news is that there should be a new recipe soon.
Now that Let's Brew is back, if anyone is interested I started a Let's Brew thread here http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/subp...thread-384441/ ...I guess I should have called suabp ...oops

Old 01-25-2013, 08:10 PM   #54
othellomcbane
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Brewed my 1800's India Pale Aged Ale a few weeks ago, you can read my long break-down of what I'm doing and hoping to find out on my blog here: bear-flavored.com/2013/01/brew-day-and-recipe-1800s-ipa-india.html

Basically, I am planning to age the majority of the batch in secondary with Brett C, and bottle a small portion of it fresh. Then I'll save a few bottles of the fresh portion to drink in a year and a half or so after the Brett portion is bottled. I suspect the long aging process is crucial to determine what the beer actually tasted like back then, probably more so than pils malt vs Maris Otter vs. pale ale malt.

I'm also wondering if the presence of Brett is what made historic IPA taste good at all. I mean, no one ages IPA at all anymore, and for a reason: it tastes terrible aged. Even IPA that's only a few months old can be pretty bad. So the aging process of the IPA seems like a contradiction to me, but I think Brett's ability to rearrange hop compounds could play a key role. Hopefully tasting the Brett portion next to the "plain" portion will be enlightening.

rexbanner Likes This 
Old 02-07-2013, 09:30 PM   #55
rexbanner
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Brewed my 1800 IPA today. This recipe, along with a bunch more, are available in my e-book which you can get for donating $25 to my nanobrewery Kickstarter project. There are also some other cool rewards. Check it out: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...se-nanobrewery

Peep my nanobrewery: http://crookedrunbrewing.com

Crooked Run Brewing: Traditional ales, local ingredients

Old 02-10-2013, 04:25 PM   #56
vacobeer
Recipes 

i brewed the NB townhall1800 AG a couple years back. hated the first case i drank in the first year after bottling, then, on a lark, i opened a bottle about 13 months after bottling: stunning! the very aggressive hop bittness had mellowed considerably, the beer was perfectly balanced. i am planning to brew it again and INTEND to store it a year or more before opening. have faith in this beer, wouldn't want to touch the recipe, maybe just swap out yeasts to try different things.

Quick Reply