Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > 180 on IPAs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2012, 01:56 AM   #1
McMalty
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default 180 on IPAs

Ok, so i've been drinking beer for a long time (not always good beer, but none the less), and IPAs were always my last choice. Not only that, but i had contempt towards what i thought was a national community that was just hopping on the next fad. To me, hoppiness was not a desire, it was a nuisance. I wanted to taste a lot of malt in my beer, not all the bitterness (which is typical of many american style brews). Well as it turns out, my palette was just not yet refined. The reason I didn't enjoy IPAs previously was the same reason kids don't enjoy hot wings. The turning point was Lagunitas Undercover Investigator Shutdown (and every other Lagunitas brew since then), it's a very balanced brew (and it's not an IPA btw), so you can appreciate the sweet maltiness with the hoppiness. From there, the spark started a fire. Now 3/4 of the beers in my fridge are IPAs. I enjoy my stouts and porters just as much as i ever did, but my world has opened up with the addition of IPAs. Sometimes I just crave that sweet hoppiness that makes u feel like ur actually drinking something. So I strongly encourage all the IPA haters out there to venture off into higher IBU brews.....(pretty much anything Lagunitas makes), b/c you might figure out something you've been missing all along.

For all the people like me, what was the brew that turned you...or at least put you in that particular direction?

"Life's short. Drink a lot of beer." -Randolph McMalty

"I don't care too much for BMC" -Abraham Lincoln

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2012, 02:22 AM   #2
pm5k00
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Ahh the good 'ol Lupulin Shift, welcome to the club brother. Your story is how it works out for a lot of people. I personally used to think Sierra Nevada Pale Ale was a touch too bitter, and now I can drink a 100+ IBU IPA and love every sip.

Old 04-06-2012, 02:37 AM   #3
LoneWolfPR
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Terrapin's India Brown Ale is what turned me around. Had all the malt of a brown, but got me appreciating hop flavor and bitterness. You're now open to a whole new area of beers.

Interestingly enough, my palette went from all malty, to very hoppy, and now I'm all about sours.

Old 04-06-2012, 02:42 AM   #4
McMalty
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm5k00 View Post
Ahh the good 'ol Lupulin Shift, welcome to the club brother. Your story is how it works out for a lot of people. I personally used to think Sierra Nevada Pale Ale was a touch too bitter, and now I can drink a 100+ IBU IPA and love every sip.
....yeah....SNPA used to be way to bitter for me...now it's more or less a 4th beer (a beer i drink once i drink 3 good beers and don't really care as much about the taste of the 4th)

"Life's short. Drink a lot of beer." -Randolph McMalty

"I don't care too much for BMC" -Abraham Lincoln

Old 04-06-2012, 02:42 AM   #5
logdrum
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Great Lakes Burning River was my gateway hop shift beer.

Old 04-06-2012, 06:17 AM   #6
scrambledegg81
Flocculation Nation
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 88

I was basically thrown in the bitter end of the beer pool, so to speak. I first became interested in craft beer after I moved to San Diego about 7 years ago. One day my landlord/roommate saw that I had stuff like Stone IPA, Red Stripe and Gordon Biersch in the fridge (being the only "decent" stuff I could find at the local Albertson's), and he asks if I knew that I lived about 10 minutes away from Stone Brewery.

Needless to say, the open patio became my weekend hangout rather quickly, and my craving for all things hoppy & mouth-puckering increased a hundred fold.

Primary: Nada
Secondary: The Plinian Legacy (NB clone of Pliny the Elder)
Bottled/Fridge: Firestone Easy Jack IPA
Bombers/Growlers/Aging: Firestone 17th & 18th Anniversary ales
Kegerator: Uinta Hop Notch IPA
Coming Up: something spiffy, most likely

Old 04-06-2012, 06:21 AM   #7
brewski08
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Short's Liberator.

i don't care what anyone says, i'd take a Short's over a Bell's any day.

you michiganians take your beer for granted, i tell ya!

Old 04-06-2012, 10:33 AM   #8
Tamarlane
Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I have always enjoyed IPAs much more on tap at the pub than at home from a bottle. Not sure why that is but the bitterness just seems smoother on tap.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:20 AM   #9
BradleyBrew
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMalty View Post
Ok, so i've been drinking beer for a long time (not always good beer, but none the less), and IPAs were always my last choice. Not only that, but i had contempt towards what i thought was a national community that was just hopping on the next fad. To me, hoppiness was not a desire, it was a nuisance. I wanted to taste a lot of malt in my beer, not all the bitterness (which is typical of many american style brews). Well as it turns out, my palette was just not yet refined. The reason I didn't enjoy IPAs previously was the same reason kids don't enjoy hot wings. The turning point was Lagunitas Undercover Investigator Shutdown (and every other Lagunitas brew since then), it's a very balanced brew (and it's not an IPA btw), so you can appreciate the sweet maltiness with the hoppiness. From there, the spark started a fire. Now 3/4 of the beers in my fridge are IPAs. I enjoy my stouts and porters just as much as i ever did, but my world has opened up with the addition of IPAs. Sometimes I just crave that sweet hoppiness that makes u feel like ur actually drinking something. So I strongly encourage all the IPA haters out there to venture off into higher IBU brews.....(pretty much anything Lagunitas makes), b/c you might figure out something you've been missing all along.

For all the people like me, what was the brew that turned you...or at least put you in that particular direction?
+1

I moved into IPA bombs and now I have really been experimenting with large hop additions for flavor & aroma with moderate bittering. I love the citrus smells as much as the bittering.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:29 AM   #10
downtown3641
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewski08
you michiganians take your beer for granted, i tell ya!
Indeed. When I was in Michigan last summer, we stopped at a liquor store on our way out and picked up as much beer as we could fit in the car with all of our stuff and our two dogs. It wasn't enough.

Kegged: Dusseldorf Altbier, Mild
Up next: Belgian Wheat/Rye, Kolsch

Quick Reply