Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > 18 brews, but I don't like beer...What next?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2012, 11:09 PM   #1
sput
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default 18 brews, but I don't like beer...What next?

So I've done 12 beers, 3 ciders, and 3 wines, and some spirits, mostly in the last few months. Only problem is I tend to keep my beer drinking to nights of binging with friends so most of my beer is given away. At the bar I'll usually drink a cocktail or a guiness but I enjoy brewing beer as it appeals to my list of generally science hobbies.

Question is, what do I brew next? The only IPA I really liked was brewed with irish ale yeast, the split batch was also done with half as nottingham which was a dead ringer for dogfishhead 90 and I simply can't drink more than one of those. The belgian white, triple, and patiersbiers were also tasty. The irish red, pilsners and oktoberfest were good for what they were but they don't make me crave them. The ciders(made from my own apple and crabapple trees) were tasty, but altogether too much like drinking thin apple pee wine. The dry irish stout was decent and didnt last long while the imperial stout made with nottingham is lacking the flavors i was looking for and is sitting quietly in bottles.

Maybe a milk stout? Any other suggestions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2012, 01:31 AM   #2
msa8967
mickaweapon
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Are you brewing beer using extract or all grain ingredients?

Mick Arnett
North Liberty, Iowa
"Beer will change the world. I don't know how, but it will."

Old 10-09-2012, 01:53 AM   #3
Phunhog
Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 68

I think ultimately you are going to have to find another science related hobby. If you don't like beer....why brew? Can you imagine the guitar player who doesn't enjoy music? Probably not going to practice very much and will never get very good. I guess you should just ask your friends what you should brew since they will be drinking most of it.

Check out my nanobrewery!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Two-Trees-Brewing-Co/102323289804018

Old 10-09-2012, 02:01 AM   #4
inhousebrew
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 36

So you don't like beer period? Or you don't like many beer styles? If there is a style you enjoy pick it and run with it brewing different recipes until you nail one down that you love. If you IPAs or hoppy beers like you kind of alluded to but want to drink more than one try a scaled down 4% ABV hop forward beer. That's my goal right now, trying to craft a American Session Pale Ale. Hopefully want something with hop presence that clocks in around 4%. Anyways, we can't tell you what to brew, but if you give us more info on what you do like, we can probably help you move forward.

I hate Walder Frey...

Old 10-09-2012, 02:12 AM   #5
Ramitt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Get a new hobby.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:12 AM   #6
xmacro
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Well, try different brews, but in the end, if you don't like beer, then you're an asshole

just kidding - if you don't like beer, you don't like beer. Simple as that

Old 10-09-2012, 02:32 AM   #7
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 22

How about a Pale Ale?

In my last batch, I experimented with Rice Solids, boosting the ABV while keeping it on the thinner side. And I really liked the results. It has substantial residual maltiness in the flavor and aroma, thanks to using Windsor yeast, but is still uncommonly thin and easy drinking. It would make a fantastic Pale Alt, as a BMC alternative.

I think it came in around 22IBU's, with most of that coming from late additions.

somedudefromguam Likes This 
Old 10-09-2012, 02:38 AM   #8
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 425 Times on 295 Posts
Likes Given: 321

Sounds to me like you like beer. You're just not a heavy beer drinker, and you haven't found that magic recipe that brings a tear to your eye when you pour the last pint. Even if you never find it, I'm sure your friends will enjoy your efforts. As for what to brew next, how bout an oatmeal raisin rasberry porter. Sounds like an interesting science experiment.

Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:56 AM   #9
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 22

What about a sour? Something to brew and stick away in a basement for 6 months to a year. Now THAT would be a science experiment!!!

Pick up a bottle of Oud Bruin, or Rodenbach and tell us what you think...

Old 10-09-2012, 03:07 AM   #10
sput
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

These replies were all way better than I could have hoped for. Really. LMFAO

First two were extract, next ten were all-grain.

As for asking my friends what to brew, well that's a lost cause since the answer is either going to be miller, bud, or heineken.

I do actually like beer but my idea of easy drinking isn't the same as some people. I find the usual BMC beers all very difficult to drink but a pint of guiness(which I find more sweet than bitter) goes done a treat. So I'm looking for something easily drinkable. I find typical IPA's and IIPAs interesting but not easy to drink (that irish being the exception). In contrast, the 14% belgian triple I made that still isn't ready (hasn't bottle carbed) is a touch sweet and friggin delicious.

Boiled down, I'm looking for a beer to make that would broaden my horizons while potentially fitting my tastes. Something more malty than hoppy but still a little complicated, a little roasty, and a touch sweet.

xmacro: Hero status. Immediately.

BBL_Brewer has it right, and the search for that beer will yield many delicious gallons. Oatmeal raisin raspberry porter- Yes!

Sir Humpsalot: Sounds like I need to take another trip to the bottle shop. Last time round I ended up with 8 beers that while good, didn't speak to me. The sierra nevada bigfoot actually got dumped along with the southern 2xipa. Oud bruin, Rodenbach. Check. I enjoy a tasty lambic from time to time but thats the closest thing I've had to a sour. Recommend a commercial Pale Ale?

Thanks for all the replies. HBT is where its at.

I have plenty of other science/engineering hobbies(engineer by trade). Oddly enough, this is the cheapest and most fun to share with friends.

Quick Reply