Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > 16oz Plastic Lipton Ice Tea Bottes for bottling?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2012, 02:49 AM   #1
guttoc27
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 16oz Plastic Lipton Ice Tea Bottes for bottling?

Does anyone have experience with, or opinions about bottling in the plastic Lipton Ice Tea bottles (16oz)? Do they hold up to the carbonation pressures created?

I apologize if this has been previously discussed, I couldn't find a thread about it.

Thank you!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2012, 03:30 AM   #2
zeg
Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 137

No first-hand experience, but I'd guess probably not. It's possible they are bottled using the same bottles as carbonated drinks that share the bottling facility. Given the push in the beverage industries toward lower cost / lower waste, I'd be a bit surprised if they were using carbonation-spec bottles for an uncarbonated beverage, though.

If you don't get any other answers and feel adventurous, I'd start by carefully comparing the bottle (thickness, ribbing, cap seal, threads) to a carbonated soda bottle. If they look very similar, then I'd do one of those bottles on my next batch and store it in a cooler or plastic trash bag or something ton contain any disasters. If that worked and it held carb, well, I guess you could try a whole batch. I wouldn't, but you could. :-) (There's no guarantee that your single bottle test wasn't a "hero" sample and that they don't all have what it takes.)

Old 09-25-2012, 03:46 AM   #3
pohldogg
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Not to discourage you, but why. There's already a really good container for holding beer... a beer bottle. There's lots of places to get them free and they're not that expensive new.

However, if I recall the lipton bottles never seemed too thin the way water bottles do so you may be ok. But I never felt that comfortable trying to re-sanitize the multi piece caps that come with plastic bottles.

Old 09-25-2012, 03:55 AM   #4
Zamial
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I have been saving and reusing Pepsi Max brown PET bottles with good success. My advice would be to try one. Worst case it doesn't make it and it pops, just put it in a Rubbermaid container with a lid on it.

My concern is with flavor scalping, some flavors will and others wont. Lighter beer will tell the tale.

As for WHY??? Many parks and like places do not allow glass. Since cans are out for most of us PET is a great alternative...

Old 09-25-2012, 04:11 AM   #5
pohldogg
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Ah, I concede the nature aspect of the plastic bottle. Not much of a parks guy myself and too far from the beach to be an issue. But why no home canning line

Old 09-25-2012, 01:13 PM   #6
ktblunden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 250 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Tea is a strong flavor, I would be worried about the plastic and particularly the rubber lining of the cap retaining flavor and aroma. Only one way to test whether it works, but make sure you clean them very well and pay close attention to whether any smell remains after cleaning.

Old 09-25-2012, 01:23 PM   #7
loud1
Swill Maker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Kinda like rootbeer, you'll never ever ever ever never ever get that flavor out of the bottle.

"Why yesh, I have been drinking my homebrew again, How nische of you to notisch."

Old 10-11-2012, 02:16 PM   #8
zmanzorro
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I'm going to start fermenting smaller batches in 5 gallon plastic water cooler jugs. Anyone see an issue with this? I need to see if my airlocks will fit, but I think everything else should be fine.

“Beer is the center of everything. Everything revolves around beer. When you drink beer, everything revolves. Therefore beer is the center of everything.” — University of Waterloo Engineers

Primary/Secondary: Assassyn IIPA (Odell's Myrcenary clone)
Bottle: Battering Ram Belgian Golden Strong Ale

Old 10-11-2012, 07:54 PM   #9
ktblunden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 250 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmanzorro View Post
I'm going to start fermenting smaller batches in 5 gallon plastic water cooler jugs. Anyone see an issue with this? I need to see if my airlocks will fit, but I think everything else should be fine.
As long as you can sanitize it you'll be fine. Keep in mind that clear containers should be kept out of direct light. Stick a T-shirt over the jug with the airlock sticking out and you'll be fine.

Quick Reply