Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > 14 year old homebrew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2012, 03:11 AM   #11
SouthBay
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlanoue View Post
My litle girl helps me bottle my brews. Last year, we did the Northern brewer No.1, which is a really strong Old Ale. We used a gold cap for one bottle instead of the usual silver. That one is marked for her when she turns 21 (in 2025). I think I'll keep an extra one on hand for myself for that day.
awesome. I moon shined a batch of whiskey for my boys when they were each born. I'm going to crack it when they're each 21.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2012, 03:12 AM   #12
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 246 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 2

It will not kill you.

I gave up brewing for 7 years, and had a number of bottles left over for that time. The stronger 'Imperial' beers were great, but the apricot ale didn't do too well in storage.

Certainly worth finding out how well they fared.

Old 05-19-2012, 03:26 AM   #13
Spartan1979
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 102

I have some 15+years old barleywine I brewed. I open one occasionally. Some are amazing, most are just okay, kind of bland. But they've all been carbonated.

Old 05-19-2012, 04:07 AM   #14
borloff
Recipes 

Likes Given: 6

Let us know how it goes.

Old 05-19-2012, 04:16 AM   #15
lumpher
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 15

taste it

Taps:
1: Yeti RIS clone
2: Mangrove Hefe
3: Barkshack Gingermead
4: Oatmeal Stout
5: Bavarian Wheat
6: Premium Lager

Fermenting: Concord Wine, ESB

Old 05-19-2012, 05:04 AM   #16
bwomp313
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 28

drink it drink it drink it drink it drink it drink it drink it drink it drink it drink it drink it drink it drink it drink it drink it drink it drink it drink it drink it drink it drink it drink it drink it drink it drink it drink it drink it drink it drink it drink it drink it drink it drink it drink it drink it drink it

Old 05-19-2012, 06:31 AM   #17
brewingmeister
Recipes 

Liked 169 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwomp313
drink it drink it drink it drink it drink it drink it drink it drink it drink it drink it drink it drink it drink it drink it drink it drink it drink it drink it drink it drink it drink it drink it drink it drink it drink it drink it drink it drink it drink it drink it drink it drink it drink it drink it drink it drink it
....yes....drink it...

Old 05-20-2012, 03:10 PM   #18
JPFuller
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

About a month ago my sons and I drank a bottle I brewed up in 1986 alongside a bottle of 1992 'vintage' Thos. Hardy's. Both were carbonated, extremely smooth with lots of cocoa on the palate. Actually preferred my own but loved them both. Enjoy yours.

Old 05-21-2012, 03:10 AM   #19
John1337
Melancholy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Thanks to everyone for the input.

Well...it wasn't great, but it was pretty good. It was as enjoyable to talk about when and how we brewed it as it was to drink it. It opened with good carbonation and poured well into a glass. It smelled good and I was pleasantly surprised. It's hard to say how much it had changed because I didn't drink any when it was bottled. So I'll just say it tasted exactly as it should have.

I found my notes from when I brewed it, and needless to say, it was a simple technique. Sanitation was most important and everything was done with bleach. Carboys, instruments and bottles. PITA. So, I don't know how much the bleach effected the flavor. Bleach is one of the reasons that I gave it up.

I have included a picture of it in a glass and the receipt I found from the LHBS. Haven't priced anything lately, so I don't know what the prices have done.

I have found the four other brews that I had brewed around the same time and look forward to tasting them as well.

Plus...I still have a case of this one to drink. Lucky for me!

14yr-old-honey-brown.jpg   photo-2-.jpg  

Old 05-21-2012, 03:23 AM   #20
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3302 Times on 2057 Posts
Likes Given: 2823

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1337 View Post
Thanks to everyone for the input.

Well...it wasn't great, but it was pretty good. It was as enjoyable to talk about when and how we brewed it as it was to drink it. It opened with good carbonation and poured well into a glass. It smelled good and I was pleasantly surprised. It's hard to say how much it had changed because I didn't drink any when it was bottled. So I'll just say it tasted exactly as it should have.

I found my notes from when I brewed it, and needless to say, it was a simple technique. Sanitation was most important and everything was done with bleach. Carboys, instruments and bottles. PITA. So, I don't know how much the bleach effected the flavor. Bleach is one of the reasons that I gave it up.

I have included a picture of it in a glass and the receipt I found from the LHBS. Haven't priced anything lately, so I don't know what the prices have done.

I have found the four other brews that I had brewed around the same time and look forward to tasting them as well.

Plus...I still have a case of this one to drink. Lucky for me!
Excellent. I'm glad my guesses were completely wrong.

Food is not taxed in FL, so the only taxable item on that list would have been the hop sack.

Interesting that whatever machine calculated the receipt miscalculated the change back. Off by a penny. Is that normal?

Oh, and prices are significantly higher than that now. A pound of chocolate malt for 38 cents?

Quick Reply