The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > 12 month Iraqi experiment

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2009, 04:52 PM   #11
llazy_llama
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxdcmast View Post
good luck man my buddys heading back over there soon too.

You should also add in a 5 gallon batch of Apfelwein and let it age for 6 months. I have heard that it gets real good with age.
Man, I would... but Apfelwein has this weird habit of disappearing around my household. I drink my fair share, and my wife just gives an innocent smile and ignores my questions, so I assume it just evaporates over time.

I am going to try and smuggle in a few dozen packs of Montrachet and some stoppers. I might be limited to three beers per day (BMC only, of course) over there, but I doubt they have a limit on apple juice. I'll just sub corn sugar for table sugar and call it a day. Granted, the 3 beer per day limit is pretty lenient compared to most other deployments... plus I can always buddy up with the Brits or Aussies (friggin love these guys! Ask me about the time I ran into two Royal Navy sailors in Okinawa) to get extra drinks. They don't have a limit, and they can be very generous at times.

Masshole: I just learned recently that I'm on a 6 month on, 6 month off deployment rotation. After 6 years where my roughest TDY was to Osan AFB, Korea (party central), I changed station to this base where I'm suddenly in high demand. It's not nearly as bad as most of my buddies in other branches have it, but I still think it kind of sucks. I guess I might as well make the best of it.

To everyone who said thank you for your service: Thank you for your consideration. Most of us do what we do because we choose to, and on behalf of all my Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, Marine Corps, and Navy brethren, you are very welcome. Just keep fighting for your rights on the home front, and we'll keep defending them overseas.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2009, 04:55 PM   #12
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Agree on the IPA probably not tasting as good by then as it would after only a few weeks, but I bet it's still pretty darn good. This is an excellent experiment and I hope you take careful notes about all. It could make for some very interesting reading.

Hey, I have an idea, why not send me a bottle or two of each and I can taste them for you in about 6 months time! That way you have even more data!
No worries there. Their rounds tend to be 7.62mm in diameter. I haven't bothered to measure a 2000 lbs. JDAM (Joint Direct Attack Munition, AKA: big friggin accurate bomb!) , but I can tell you from personal experience that it's quite a bit larger than 7.62mm.

Edited: I should have mentioned this in my first post, but it slipped my mind. I'm not a registered Cicerone by any means, any my palate tends to be a bit vulgar. I actually have a few HBT folks in mind that I would like to ship some bottles to, in order to get additional readings on them. Don't bother posting and asking if you're one of them, I'll PM the folks I mean,

Last edited by llazy_llama; 02-25-2009 at 04:58 PM.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:04 PM   #13
justinakajuice
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Sounds like a plan. +1 on adding the Irish Moss. I don't know what kind of seals you get with your primary/secondary/carboy/etc., but I would suggest something a little more like either putting wax or hot glue around the stopper/air-lock to try to further prevent any possible contamination.

(For the smart alecs: no, not where the gas escapes, just around the opening)

Old 02-25-2009, 05:32 PM   #14
NJTomatoguy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks for your service.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:38 PM   #15
ScottyT
Recipes 

Thank you for your service!

Be sure someone will be topping off your airlocks every few weeks/month.

I BREW THE BEER I DRINK!

Old 02-25-2009, 05:53 PM   #16
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyT View Post
Thank you for your service!

Be sure someone will be topping off your airlocks every few weeks/month.
I'll top off the airlocks myself during active fermentation in the primary. During the secondary, it'll be sanitized tinfoil.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:55 PM   #17
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnevoodoo View Post
I'm not a fan of aging IPAs. The best characteristics usually come from them being fresh. Sure, historically the higher alcohol and hops were included to help them on long trips, but these days, it seems like a waste of hops to me. Other than that, it sounds cool.
I'll add some sanitized oak into the secondary. I did just that with my first IPA, and it turned out amazing. Granted, I only oaked it for about 2 weeks, as opposed to 9 months, but I think it'll be more accurate to the original style.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:36 PM   #18
double_e5
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Where in the hell in Iraq are you going where you will get beer? My 3 times in country we didn't get a drop let alone 3 beers a day!

Old 02-25-2009, 06:51 PM   #19
orangeandblue302
Recipes 

Good Luck!! I bet that barleywine turns out awesome!

Old 02-25-2009, 06:55 PM   #20
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Hey man, be careful over there! Don't fall victim to making the Gatorade hooch (I talked to a guy who was over there, they fermented the Gatorade or something to that effect in the rafters, being that it is a dry country there is no alcohol, or at least that was what he said)

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Quick Reply