Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > 12 gallon carboy fermenter - really

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2012, 06:32 PM   #1
gfd622
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default 12 gallon carboy fermenter - really

Hey all,

Just a quick note, I've been brewing for 4 years. Started off like all, switched to all grain, and never looked back. It's a great hobby, I love it. I'm set up for 5 gallon batches, so I've never really thought of other things. Until...

I just found a 12 gallon glass carboy and thought, this is awesome, I could make a double batch in that. The very simple obvious question here is - does anybody do that (or should I just dream, and really forget about it because it's just too hard). Would it work to make 5 gallons, then make 5 gallons again, so a double long brew day - but really I could use the mash tun once - start that process, then use the mash tun again while the first brews. Should only take an extra hour or so.

I don't have a way to boil 15+ gallons of liquid, nor would I have a way to transfer 10 gallons when finished (beyond just lifting it up and pouring, but it would be heavy).

What do you think?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2012, 06:42 PM   #2
BetterSense
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 35 Posts

pics.

Old 06-06-2012, 06:44 PM   #3
kpr121
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 57

A few questions:

1. How much is it? If its free/cheap, go for it. You can use it now if you want, but if/when you upgrade to larger system it will be more useful.

2. How big is it? You have to think about how you are going to ferment in it. I get scared moving my 5 gallons glass carboys around, I wouldn’t attempt to pick up a 12 gallon one if my life depended on it after hearing all the horror stories about glass chards going through peoples hands/arms/legs/etc.

3. Assuming you will be keeping it in one space per question 2, how are you going to transfer to bottles/keg/secondary/whatever after it is done fermenting? One way would be to use a carboy cap and CO2 system to ‘push’ the beer wherever it needs to go, or a sanitary pump.

Basically if you aren’t planning on upgrading your system to 10 gallon batches it doesn’t seem worth it to use this. Back to back brews are going to add more than an hour to your brewday, and it would be much easier to work with two seperate fermentors.

Ideally in order to make this worthwhile you would be brewing a 10 gallon batch, pumping the cooled wort to this carboy (which is sitting in a fermentation chamber and is never moved while full), and pumping/pushing it out to whatever serving vessel you want to use.

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:
Up Next: ???? Suggestions?

Old 06-06-2012, 06:48 PM   #4
gfd622
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Here is a quick one:

fermenter.jpg  

Old 06-06-2012, 06:49 PM   #5
gfd622
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

It's mine. I found it in a basement - totally free. So it just tempted me, but really, I don't know if it's something I want to try or not. I just wondered if anybody used one of these for their hobby

Old 06-06-2012, 06:51 PM   #6
mattmcl
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Could be good for mead or something where you never have to move it.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:09 PM   #7
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Liked 319 Times on 239 Posts
Likes Given: 227

I worry about my 6.5 and 5 gallon glass carboys (having broken one). A 12 gallon seems like a severe issue in moving and such.

Fermenting: nothing
Lagering: Swarthy Satyr (traditional bock)
Bottled: Royal Goblin (Hoppy Hobgoblin rendition), Treasure Type "T" (oatmeal toffee stout), Enchantress (big Irish red ale), Frostfire (Oktoberfest), Thundersmoke brown ale

Old 06-06-2012, 07:48 PM   #8
kpr121
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Oh! I like the mead idea! Or maybe a big batch of a strong wine or something. You could do either of these generally at room temp, and leave the carboy elevated (on a table or something) so that you can rack from it without picking it up.

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:
Up Next: ???? Suggestions?

Old 06-06-2012, 07:52 PM   #9
riverfrontbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I've used a 13 gallon demi john several times that I borrowed from a friend....the key was to siphon beer into and out of it without moving it. Basically, once I put wort in it, it didn't move again until fully fermented beer had been siphoned out. Talk about an awesome yeast cake to pitch on!

Old 06-06-2012, 07:53 PM   #10
Coff
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 141 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Do 2x5 gallon Lambic style batches and let it ride for 1 year, at one year bottle 5 gallons then top it off with another 5 gallons Solera style. You will never have to move the heavy glass and will have a never ending supply of an ever changing house Lambic.

Buy ECY01 for your yeast.

Quick Reply