Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > 12 Beers of Christmas 2013 Edition! (Need Brewers!)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2013, 03:04 PM   #1
danbrewtan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default 12 Beers of Christmas 2013 Edition! (Need Brewers!)

We have 12 brewers at this time. If you are interested in being a back up brewer, just let us know by replying to the thread.

I haven't seen a thread go up this year, and I was bummed I didn't get to participate last year, so I'm going to volunteer to organize this years 12 Beers of Christmas .

Here's the concept for any new comers:

• 12 different brewers will brew one of the 12 beers of Christmas found in Randy's Mosher's Radical Brewing.
  • Each brewer sends out three 12oz bottles of their beer to the 11 other brewers (33 bottles sent out in total) and receives 3 bottles of each recipe in return - that's 12 different beers for you to try around Christmas time!

We're a little behind this year compared to the previous year's threads, so I'd like to get enough brewers as soon as possible as some of these are big beers that need some time to age. Juniper Rye Bock requires lagering, so we will need a lager-capable brewer to jump in on that one!

If you need the recipe for anything, I can send it to you via PM.

Shipping:
  • As mentioned in last year's thread, it will cost you some money to send out 11 packages UPS/Fedex (You aren't suppose to use USPS*), so keep that in mind. You're looking at about $120 in shipping (but you're getting 33 fancy Christmas beers!).
  • All brewers will need to be located inside the U.S.
  • If you can accept packages at a business address, that will save your fellow brewers some money.
  • We will plan to ship out beers after Thanksgiving so that they arrive before the holiday rush.

*But brewers have used flat rate boxes in previous exchanges. Your call!

Choosing What You Want to Brew:
  • We'll use the same system as last year: first come first serve.
  • Reply to this thread if you're interested and let us know which beer you want to brew.
  • As beers are claimed, I will update this post with the brewer's name next to their selection.

Here is the list of Beers. I'm going to throw down for the Spiced Bourbon Stout:

1) Caramel Quadrupel (NuclearRich)
2) Spiced Cherry Dubbel (gavball6)
3) Spiced Dunkel Weizenbock (bobdozer)
4) Juniper Rye Bock - Requires Lagering - (watersr)
5) Fruitcake Old Ale (jgourd)
6) Saffron Tripel (pheboglobi)
7) Christmas Gruit (stblindtiger)
8) Honey Ginger IPA (FermentedTed)
9) Crabapple Lambicky Ale (obscurebrewing)
10) Gingerbread Ale (jjefrey)
11) Spiced Bourbon Stout (DanBrewTan)
12) Abbey Weizen (Stovetop535)

Other Notes:
  • You will need to bottle most of your batch to get the 33 bottles that you need to send out.
  • You should bottle in late October at the latest. The bigger beers will benefit from getting bottled earlier so that they have time to bottle condition.

I'm very excited, and I hope we can pull together 11 more brewers to participate.

For record keeping, here's the post from 2012:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/12-b...2012-a-331431/

And from 2011:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/do-y...istmas-253676/

EDIT: Added lagering and shipping notes (thanks biochemedic)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2013, 04:29 PM   #2
pheboglobi
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

What about the 13th - Christmas Ale on pg 150?

I'm in for the Saffron Tripel.
I've never done an exchange before, so I'm looking forward to it!

Old 07-23-2013, 04:48 PM   #3
danbrewtan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Great, thanks! I've got you added. We could always throw in a 13th beer if another brewer wants in

Old 07-23-2013, 06:50 PM   #4
biochemedic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Super +1 Kudos to danbrewtan for volunteering to organize this year...it's funny b/c I had just been thinking about/talking to SWMBO about this a couple days ago.

Unfortunately, I can't participate due to logistical issues...Life just gets in the way too much in the next few months!

I do have a few additional thoughts/advice. You guys are starting late, so definitely start brewing in the next 1-2 weeks! If you're bottle conditioning one of the bigger beers, you may want to think about getting into the bottle even earlier than late October. Also, your not *supposed to* ship via usps, but I can tell you that at least one of the brewers in each of the past two years shipped in flat rate boxes via usps...just saying. Regarding lagering...if you actually go through the recipes, the only one that was truly done as a lager last year is the Juniper Rye Bock. Shipping? If you do UPS, I spent closer to $120 in shipping both of the last 2 years. Remember, shipping to a business address is cheaper than a residential address, so if you have a business address where you can get packages, it will save your fellow brewers money. Shipping definitely needs to be in the week following Thanksgiving in order for everyone to get their beers in a timely fashion...

Best of luck to all of you...I will be following along, and I will be hoping to participate again in 2014!

Secondary: Why do I keep this line here...?
Bulk Aging: Cocobochet
Planned: Hop Metheglin #3 (NZ hops), Trad. Gesho T'ej

Old 07-23-2013, 09:01 PM   #5
watersr
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 24 Posts

I'm in for the juniper bock! Got a suggestion for shipping that might reduce cost. Instead of shipping 11 packages we could send 3 12 packs to a coordinator who would mix the beers and them ship them out. Each brewer would send three boxes and three self adressed shipping labels to the coordinator who would get the benefit of not having to pay any shipping cost in consideration for his work.

Burn the village, then drink the beer!

Old 07-23-2013, 09:40 PM   #6
sfrisby
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 12 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 234 Times on 160 Posts

As I organized this in my brew club this year, I won't be participating for the first time in 3 years. Good luck and enjoy the brews. Will enjoy following your thread.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:42 PM   #7
danbrewtan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by watersr View Post
I'm in for the juniper bock! Got a suggestion for shipping that might reduce cost. Instead of shipping 11 packages we could send 3 12 packs to a coordinator who would mix the beers and them ship them out. Each brewer would send three boxes and three self adressed shipping labels to the coordinator who would get the benefit of not having to pay any shipping cost in consideration for his work.
Awesome! I'll add you. Not a bad idea either as long as everyone can print out a shipping label for themselves. We could reuse the box they used to ship the beer, too. The coordinator basically just swaps out beers and send the box back. The only issue I see is time since there will be two shipments. We could just send them a week earlier.

Let's get 12 brewers and see what everyone wants.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:45 PM   #8
danbrewtan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by watersr View Post
Oh, and... you can lager right?

Old 07-23-2013, 10:50 PM   #9
watersr
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 24 Posts

Yup, sure can.

Burn the village, then drink the beer!

Old 07-23-2013, 11:07 PM   #10
Dudest
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I have a RIS with a little real vanilla and a half cup chivas in it. Will be 10 months old by christmas. I guess you will have to list the names that are going to participate to avoid any confusion.
Oopps sorry I didnt realize you wanted specific brews please disregard....

When i lived overseas i must have heard this joke a 1000 times "what does american beer and having sex in a canoe have in common? " . Both fu#*n close to water.

Quick Reply