New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > 12 Beers of Christmas 2012!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2012, 07:29 PM   #71
RedBeard1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

waiting for my kettle to boil now for an english ipa right now. if this recipe turns out to be a good one, it'll be the one i'll brew in early september with honey and ginger to send to you guys!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2012, 01:58 AM   #72
dgez
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

I can do the juniper rye bock, but I see that watersr has expressed interest before I did...so If he doesnt want it I'll take it.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:27 AM   #73
biochemedic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgez View Post
I can do the juniper rye bock, but I see that watersr has expressed interest before I did...so If he doesnt want it I'll take it.
AFAIK, watersr hasn't definitely committed; I PM'd him the recipe a couple days ago, and I sent him a PM again this morning, if he doesn't reply today, it's yours...
Secondary: Why do I keep this line here...?
Bulk Aging: Cocobochet
Planned: Hop Metheglin #3 (NZ hops), Trad. Gesho T'ej

Old 06-14-2012, 11:51 AM   #74
dgez
Recipes 

I PM'd watersr last night and he said he was going to pass...so mark me down for the JRB.

BTW, does anyone know where I can get juniper branches online? There is a bunch of juniper around where I live, but its not wild, so I dont know if its been sprayed.

Who did the JRB last year? I'd like to get some pointers because brewing this type of beer is outside my comfort zone.

Old 06-14-2012, 12:48 PM   #75
sfrisby
Feedback Score: 11 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgez

Who did the JRB last year? I'd like to get some pointers because brewing this type of beer is outside my comfort zone.
Rhoadsrage

Old 06-14-2012, 03:35 PM   #76
Draygon
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I brewed the base for the Spiced Bourbon Stout 2 days ago....OG: 1.110 lol, so this is definitely going to be a Spiced Bourbon Imperial Stout!

Should be getting the spices crushed up and "marinating" within the next few days so that they will be good to go in 3 weeks (all flavors infused into the Vodka and Bourbon). This will be well conditioned come Christmas time.

and DGEZ look at Penzeys (google it) for spices, thats where many people get their spices from.

Primary:Empty
Secondary: Amber Ale
Bottled: B2 Amber, Scottish Ale, Honey B Ale, Cherry Stout, Bourbon Vanilla Porter, Double Chocolate (Milk) Stout, B2 Cream Ale, Amber Cider, Maple syrup dark ale, Pirate Strong Ale, Midas touch clone, Spiced Imperial Stout, Olde Ale

Planned: Milk Stout, Barley Wine

Old 06-14-2012, 08:10 PM   #77
biochemedic

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgez View Post
BTW, does anyone know where I can get juniper branches online? There is a bunch of juniper around where I live, but its not wild, so I dont know if its been sprayed.
The recipe calls for the berries...It might be cool if you could find some branches...the book describes the beer as a mix between a bock and a traditional sathi, which was generally sparged through juniper branches.

Anyway, you can get the berries at Penzey's Spices...

I think I remember you telling me you have this book, right? If not, let me know and I'll send you all the details of the recipe.
Secondary: Why do I keep this line here...?
Bulk Aging: Cocobochet
Planned: Hop Metheglin #3 (NZ hops), Trad. Gesho T'ej

Old 06-14-2012, 10:19 PM   #78
watersr
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 24 Posts

Part of the reason I was interested in this brew is that I am Swedish and I have been researching sahti. The juniper berries are easy to come by, and many home brew stores have them so you can probably order them along with your grains. Juniper boughs however have been very elusive. I have not been able to find a source for them as of yet.

Burn the village, then drink the beer!

Old 06-15-2012, 12:10 AM   #79
dgez
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biochemedic View Post
I think I remember you telling me you have this book, right? If not, let me know and I'll send you all the details of the recipe.
Yes I have the book.

There is a Penzeys in ATL, so I will be paying a visit to acquire the berries. My LHBS, Brewmasters Wearhouse, also has juniper berries, but I think getting them from Penzeys will be better.

I wanted a few juniper branches to boil in the mash water to extract some woody goodness. Although juniper branches are not mandatory, I think it will add a unique character to the beer. I'll search around. I think a few of my friends have juniper bushes/trees in their yards.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:54 PM   #80
Draygon
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I have juniper bushes in my parents backyard. If I were going to visit them anytime soon I could have sent you some branches vacuum packed...but I dont think I will be going down fkr a few weeks.

Primary:Empty
Secondary: Amber Ale
Bottled: B2 Amber, Scottish Ale, Honey B Ale, Cherry Stout, Bourbon Vanilla Porter, Double Chocolate (Milk) Stout, B2 Cream Ale, Amber Cider, Maple syrup dark ale, Pirate Strong Ale, Midas touch clone, Spiced Imperial Stout, Olde Ale

Planned: Milk Stout, Barley Wine

Quick Reply