Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > 12 Beers of Christmas 2012!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2012, 03:24 AM   #341
Draygon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Im having the Fruitcake Old Ale tonight, the first thing Ill say is...Id pay money for this! Well done! I get a nice "spiced" aroma to it, like that of the fruitcake. The taste is quite good of the fruit you used, and to me I get a bit of a tart finish which I like.

So again, very nicely done! Id like to get this recipe and make this myself.

Primary:Empty
Secondary: Amber Ale
Bottled: B2 Amber, Scottish Ale, Honey B Ale, Cherry Stout, Bourbon Vanilla Porter, Double Chocolate (Milk) Stout, B2 Cream Ale, Amber Cider, Maple syrup dark ale, Pirate Strong Ale, Midas touch clone, Spiced Imperial Stout, Olde Ale

Planned: Milk Stout, Barley Wine

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 05:02 PM   #342
AerationStation
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts

I'm a sucker for the Harpoon Winter Warmer. Nice spiced flavor without being too nuts

Janet's Brown Ale
English Mild
Oatmeal Stout

Old 12-24-2012, 09:02 PM   #343
dgez
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Christmas Gruit

Aroma: Spices, faint alcohol, herbal.

Appearance: Nice amber color, good clarity. Thin head, faded quickly...similar to a champagne pour.

Flavor: I'm getting hints of cinnamon, juniper, and herbs.

Body: Medium, great carbonation.

Overall: This is a very tasty beer. Good finish. I am having this with hors d'oeuvres. The herbalness is complementing the food very well. Need to keep restraint on drinking this too fast, it goes down too easy for such a high ABV. Another phenomenal beer.

I have seen a couple of people say that these are some of the best beers they have had in the last 6 months and I agree. Every beer I've had so far I have said to myself "wow, this is good".

Old 12-27-2012, 09:38 PM   #344
jtakacs
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

just as an update i'll double check, but it looks like i received everything - good work people...

last one i had was the gruit;

aroma: piney, but not hoppy piney - like pine piney, smells warm.

appearance: slightly hazy dark amber... i poured it aggressively and the head built up to about 1/2" and then faded within a few minutes.

flavor: uh, there's a LOT going on in this beer - one thing that surprised me is i couldn't really taste the alcohol - smelled hotter than it tasted and had tons of woody herbal and piney flavors. really nice and i sipped it as slowly as i could (kind of slammed it actually)

body: thick, mouthfilling with a nice lightness - the carb was excellent and really opened the beer up physically as it warmed.

overall: fantastic and i really enjoyed it - it's not a beer i would normally drink, but now i'm thinking about making one! thanks for this, never had anything quite like it and enjoyed every sip!

Old 12-31-2012, 07:40 PM   #345
jtakacs
Recipes 

last few days i had a couple different ones;

strong saffron saison;

aroma: smells like blossoming farmland - sweet and spicy with some earthiness

appearance: slightly hazy straw with orange tints - i didn't really let this sit in the fridge very long (just a few days) but i imagine it would clear up quite a bit.

flavor: excellent yeast flavor that doesn't at all carry any warmth from the 10+% abv - although i couldn't pull the saffron out of this, it does have a sweet herbal quality that is excellent. although it's a high abv beer, i could drink this anytime of day.

body: i thought this thing going to have a really full body to it, but in reality is it's perfectly dry and the sweetness it does have is more in flavor than in mouthfeel - excellent beer!

overall: loved it... i'm a huge fan of saisons so this is right up my alley - i'm looking forward to the other two but i'm committed to trying them all before i move onto a repeat session!

Old 12-31-2012, 07:50 PM   #346
jtakacs
Recipes 

spiced imperial stout;

aroma: heavy spice and you can smell huge quantities of star anise and warm alcohol... i sipped this bad boy watching a movie late at night with the kids and the aroma said "take your time"

appearance: poured very aggressively and in the dim light of the kitchen but it appeared inky black and didn't get much of a head on it at all - what head there was immediately gone. carbonation was very light, but didn't distract from the beer.

flavor: intense spice and heavy anise... my fiance has tried all of the beers and i've learned that when she says "horrible" i know i'm going to like it... if she ever drinks beer (she doesn't) she goes with a blue moon and an orange slice and can't finish that, lol... what i liked about the spice in this is that the base beer held up to it. you can taste the stout portion for sure... be ready for a spice bomb once you open this up. if you've had this years anchor christmas beer, this reminds me of an imperial version of that.

body: thick, thick, thick, and thick. completely mouth coating without being cloyingly sweet. the body fits the flavor perfectly.

overall: sounds strange, but i was surprised i liked this one as much as i did - not because of the beer, but the last two beers i usually drink are 1) spiced and 2) stouts... again, my beer prejudice has been shattered.

the only one left is the cherry dubel and i'll likely get to that tonight with dinner (ciopinno)...

happy new years everyone!!

Old 01-07-2013, 10:30 AM   #347
Piratwolf
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Drank the Gruit last night. I'd planned to do a write-up but I literally pounded it too quickly. Wow, that was a tasty, well made beer!!

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:09 PM   #348
jtakacs
Recipes 

any more reviews?

Old 01-12-2013, 06:25 PM   #349
Piratwolf
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Sorry for the slow posting of reviews. I've got so much beer to drink from the holidays. I'll try to post the rest of my reviews in the next week!

It's been eye-opening reading your reviews, jtakacs. I'd love to hear from others, too.

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:58 PM   #350
sfrisby
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 11 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 215 Times on 147 Posts

Now that HBT has developed the itrader section to help ID good traders, I wanted to suggest we go through our list and give back other positive feedback. All the participants (or lack of participants) can be found on page 1 of this thread.

Quick Reply