Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > 12 Beers of Christmas 2012!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2012, 02:43 AM   #311
RedBeard1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Thanks for the review. Glad you enjoyed it. Germ temp was mid 60's to low 70's in a dark corner of the back room. Was just trying to talk the wife into a fermentation fridge with the argument that she could also age her cheese. Maybe when we move into a bigger place. I would appreciate some constructive criticism on this, as I can tell some of you have really honed the craft. I have a few ideas, but will hold on to them to see what you guys have to say.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 08:30 PM   #312
jtakacs
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

gruit arrived today in perfect shape - looking forward to trying it out!

Old 12-17-2012, 09:08 PM   #313
Piratwolf
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakacs
gruit arrived today in perfect shape - looking forward to trying it out!
Agreed. So far I've really liked the packaging from everyone who chose to go that route. I'm trying my first tonight & I've been really looking forward to this!!

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.

Old 12-18-2012, 01:02 AM   #314
Piratwolf
Recipes 

My first tasting notes--Fruitcake Old Ale

Aroma: BIG nose of spices, rich malt, dark berries, and alcohol aromatics up front. Cinnamon & sweetness dominate first. As it warms, I'm getting yeast notes, other spices ( maybe cloves?), then a sherry-like note with heavy fruitiness almost reminiscent of red wine: blackberries, tart cherries, raisins, and maybe plum.

Appearance: deep mahogany with orange-red glimmers at the edges when held up to the light. Pours a very low, tan head with fairly large bubbles. Head drops away within seconds to a faint rim. Good clarity.

Flavor: deep cherry and caramel malt flavors shine through with notes of spices and an almost sour tartness that lingers in the aftertaste. Hops absent or covered (as expected in an old ale). The strong fruitiness and secondary spice notes add a nice balance to the caramel malt, and that tartness clears the palate for the next sip. There does seem to be a very faint yeast/fermentation off-flavor in the background, but I only got it after warming up and it's very minor. Overall, a great balance of good flavors! My wife likes it a lot

Mouthfeel: less body than expected from the aroma, but the moderate mouthfeel allows the big flavor remain drinkable rather than cloying. The finish is thin enough to make me want another drink. Perhaps a touch higher carbonation level might add a hit of liveliness.

Overall: this is a very enjoyable beer. The balance is spot on--tartness and fruit balance out the malt and alcohol sweetness, and the spices add a perfect hint of complexity that rounds out the profile without clashing in the slightest.

Well done, and thank you for sharing!

Old 12-18-2012, 02:46 AM   #315
dgez
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Abbey Weizen

Bottle: Clean, good fill

Aroma: Grainy, yeasty, bread crust. Bready, I can't get over it! Fantastic bready aroma. Smells like liquid nourishment.

Appearance: Straw color, good clarity with a slight Haze. 3/4 inch head, faded slowly. About a 1/8" head throughout the length of the beer.

Flavor: I can only describe this as liquid bread. Isn't that what beer is anyway? Screw eating, drink this!

Body: light and crisp. Perfect carbonation.

Overall: I just love that bready flavor. When the Egyptians built the pyramids, this is what they were paid with. I'm not sure how this classifies as a Christmas beer, because I could drink this year round.
Fan-effing-tastic!

Old 12-18-2012, 07:07 PM   #316
Piratwolf
Recipes 

According to UPS tracking, 3-4 of my packages should have arrived by this evening. Can anyone confirm arrival intact? I'm a bit nervous about them leaking.

Thanks!

Old 12-18-2012, 07:58 PM   #317
dgez
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piratwolf View Post
According to UPS tracking, 3-4 of my packages should have arrived by this evening. Can anyone confirm arrival intact? I'm a bit nervous about them leaking.
Arrived in perfect condition!

Old 12-18-2012, 11:13 PM   #318
sfrisby
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 12 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 250 Times on 167 Posts

Bio,

Im drinking both Gruits right now. Yours from last year is phenomenal. There's a ginger beer component that I find fantastic. Not to take away from this years gruit at all. It too is a wonderful beer.

My point is, to all, consider saving a bottle of each for next year. A year of aging is fantastic!

Old 12-18-2012, 11:29 PM   #319
jtakacs
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i'll be saving one of each as well...

thanks for the review dgez... not very christmas-y for sure, but the recipe didn't seem to be... i increased the abv and body a bit and tried to make it a bit darker than the original recipe intended.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:56 PM   #320
Shuznuts
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piratwolf

Thanks!
Arrived in perfect condition as well!

Quick Reply