New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > 12 Beers of Christmas 2012!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2012, 10:08 PM   #301
dgez
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Well it's time! Im off work for two weeks so its time to start cracking these open!
I'm starting with the caramel quad because its the first recipe in the book, and I've had them in my fridge the longest.

Bottle: Clean, good fill

Aroma: Wow, I'm getting a big wiff of toasted caramel and to a much lesser extent something I can only describe as maybe dark fruit. If this is a 10% beer, I am not detecting any alcohol in the aroma.

Appearance: Opaque and deep brown/raisin in color. Little head, faded almost instantly.

Flavor: Again wow, tastes just like it smells, but not as sweet as the aroma would suggest. Carbonation is low. Alcohol is present but faintly hanging out in the background. No off flavors

Body: medium-full, low carbonation.

Overall: very tasty, just wish it had a little more carbonation. As I sit here and type, I am feeling a slight alcohol warmth. And now that I look at my glass again, I believe I am drinking this faster than I should. Definately a sipper, would go great as an after dinner drink while conversing with the in-laws, cause you'll need it.

Edit: Yes definately a sipper!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 10:17 PM   #302
watersr
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 24 Posts

Have been following this thread intently. Wanted to get in on it but couldn't. Would love to do it for next year.

Burn the village, then drink the beer!

Old 12-15-2012, 12:28 AM   #303
jtakacs
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

no label on mine... i had labeled some of them to test out a new labeling system... paint the bottle with a "chalk board" paint and use chalk. reusable, but that beer went out before i started it...

so far i've recieived;

1) Caramel Quadrupel (biochemedic)
4) Juniper Rye Bock (dgez) <----- arrived w/ bonus! thanks dgez! can't wait!
5) Fruitcake Old Ale (SavoryChef) <---------arrived in perfect shape and looking good!
8) Honey Ginger IPA (RedBeard1)
9) Crabapple Lambicky Ale (Clanchief)
10) Gingerbread Ale (sfrisby)

the old fruitcake ale i thought was outstanding - the next day i had the gingerbread porter which i really enjoyed. nicely balanced, good carb, nice bite and very little hop influence which i think makes perfect sense... the next day i had the honey ginger IPA... i think the honey and ginger wiped out a lot of the hop influence - very good beer with a perfect head, carb, etc... so far i've really enjoyed them all and like mine the least.

i might go with the quad tonight - but i already had a martini and don't want to be on the floor.

i'm going to revisit all of them in january and then save a bottle of each for next year to compare/contrast... hopefully i can return for next year.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:45 AM   #304
jtakacs
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

duplicate post somehow.

Old 12-15-2012, 05:39 PM   #305
Draygon
Recipes 

I have received

Caramel Quad
Juniper Rye (Thanks for the extra !!)
Fruitcake Old Ale
Crabapple Lambicky Al
Gingerbread Ale

If it was shipped to me I did not get the Honey Ginger IPA, if anyone is not going to ship to me if you could let me know that way I can plan around that and know about what I need to complete the shipping. I do hope I get shipped the Spiced Cherry Dub and the Christmas Gruit, as those look / sound like they should be quite tasty.

I will begin posting reviews of those I drink after Sunday...when I am off for 3 weeks

Primary:Empty
Secondary: Amber Ale
Bottled: B2 Amber, Scottish Ale, Honey B Ale, Cherry Stout, Bourbon Vanilla Porter, Double Chocolate (Milk) Stout, B2 Cream Ale, Amber Cider, Maple syrup dark ale, Pirate Strong Ale, Midas touch clone, Spiced Imperial Stout, Olde Ale

Planned: Milk Stout, Barley Wine

Old 12-15-2012, 08:42 PM   #306
sfrisby
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 11 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 135 Posts

Fruit has shipped. I received mine. I thought the cherry dubbel was a no show for this year. Right?

Edit: nope. It was the weizenbock that was a no show.

Old 12-15-2012, 08:51 PM   #307
biochemedic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfrisby View Post
Fruit has shipped. I received mine. I thought the cherry dubbel was a no show for this year. Right?

Edit: nope. It was the weizenbock that was a no show.
Right on the weizenbock...and the cherry dubbel is going to just be a dubbel...Pint_destroyer was unhappy with the cherry version(s) and did not feel it was worthy of sharing, so wanted to just send his base dubbel
Secondary: Why do I keep this line here...?
Bulk Aging: Cocobochet
Planned: Hop Metheglin #3 (NZ hops), Trad. Gesho T'ej

Old 12-15-2012, 10:19 PM   #308
dgez
Recipes 

Fruitcake Old Ale:

Bottle: Nice label, good fill

Aroma: I'm getting spices up front. Allspice, nutmeg, cinnamon type spices. Hints of tart fruit.

Appearance: Deep chestnut brown, pencil thin head that dissapated over a few minutes.

Flavor: Yeah, if you were to crush up and juice the month of December, this is it. Spices, a tart fruitiness, sour (not a bad sour, but a slight puckering). To me, the spices are the dominant flavor, followed by a cherry/blueberry tartness. Great finish, the flavor lingers long after your last sip.

Body: Medium-Light. Carbonation is spot on.

Overall: I hate fruit cake, but I love this beer! The flavors are in perfect harmony with each other. While I think the spices are the dominant flavor, they are not over powering. Excellent brew, Great job!

Old 12-16-2012, 09:42 PM   #309
dgez
Recipes 

Thistlehair: Honey Ginger IPA

Bottle: Nice label, good fill

Aroma: Honey and ginger up front, faint hop aroma.

Appearance: Dark straw in color. Pretty good clarity. Good head, about a half inch on the pour, faded to a thin layer that stayed for the whole beer.

Flavor: Its all here, a touch of sweetness from the honey, a little bite from the ginger, bitterness from the hops. Very good. As its warming up a little, I'm starting to pick up on a little bit of fusels...or it could just be that ginger bite, I can't tell. I'll try another in a a week or so to see if I still detect it. Just curious, what was the ferm temp on this?

Body: Light and refreshing. Perfect carbonation.

Overall: Another excellent brew. The honey and ginger complement each other very well. Clarity and head were great. Crisp and refreshing!

Old 12-17-2012, 01:30 AM   #310
SavoryChef
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Here's a pic

My Cellar http://www.cellarhq.com/cellar/Savorychef

Untappd: Savorychef