Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > 12 Beers of Christmas 2012!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2012, 10:25 PM   #191
biochemedic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Sweet! That's a lot of hops!

Secondary: Why do I keep this line here...?
Bulk Aging: Cocobochet
Planned: Heady Topper Clone! Wild Cider?, Hop Metheglin #3 (NZ hops), Trad. Gesho T'ej

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2012, 07:50 PM   #192
jtakacs
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

my goal was to do my abbey weizen in the last week of september, but it's boiling now... hit all my numbers although it sat in protein rest for longer than i would have wanted (extra 15 minutes - my ex wife stopped by so we argued for a bit, bi***) - anyway, looking good - i didn't follow a recipe, but i'm excited about it; maris otter as the base, german malted wheat and a bit of munich. it's about 60-40 barley/wheat... with my setup i get low efficiency on wheat beers for whatever reason, but i hit 70% (pre-boil anyway) so i'm happy...

it'll be at the upper scale of weizen for gravity (maybe a point over, but i figured the beer will handle it) - single hopped only with 100% saaz, 2.5 oz worth, most of which are at the end so i'm gonna wind up with 15+ BU...

i'm underpitching and fermenting at moderate temps with wyeast abbey II - i actually want high phenolics, esters, etc, so i'm hoping the high temps (65-70) will do right by this. i want to taste the yeast on this one. i'm also going to go in the spirit of christmas beers - low co2, should get plenty of head retention from the yeast and clock in a bit darker than normal weizens with the MO and munich added (maybe 6-8 SRM, i'll have to check)...

as for tasting - there is NO way i can match a schedule that says "taste this on this day" - but i guarantee i will post all results for each beer...

guys - i'm JAZZED for this. been looking forward to todays brew day for a loooong time (it's been two months since i've brewed - sh** just got in the way)...

i have to backtrack on this thread to figure out how we're sharing addys and ship date...

Old 10-07-2012, 07:55 PM   #193
jtakacs
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfrisby View Post
I very much like the idea of having assigned beers on assigned nights, but I recognize the logistics for 12 people may not be realistic. We could make a volunteer system and those that are willing and able do just that.
the only thing i can guarantee is that when things start to land, they'll hit my fridge for a week+ and then from that point on i will only drink the beers we're doing here... i'm excited about feedback. i checked my logs and i've only brewed two wheats out of the last 40 (not counting sours with wheat) - i don't work with wheat often, so i'm a bit nervous.

i am going to lay one of each down for a year and will post the results of that to this thread as well...

Old 10-07-2012, 07:57 PM   #194
jtakacs
Recipes 

by they way, kudos to all of you doing loooooong beers... i usually only make two kinds of beers; ones with short time from brew to bottle and those that take 12-24 months... the long beers are tough...

Old 10-07-2012, 08:04 PM   #195
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

Liked 312 Times on 310 Posts
Likes Given: 21

wow that sound like a great idea, hope all the beers turn out good and what a great way to get a nice eclectic mix of beers

Old 10-10-2012, 07:10 AM   #196
biochemedic

Recipes 

Update: Just cracked one of the Caramel Quads when I realized it's been almost 2 1/2 months since I bottled...I'm very excited at how this is turning out! It's carbonating very nicely, and damn tasty if I do say so myself! And wowza...I can't stop sipping it, but you don't want to drink this one too fast!

Draygon, keep the faith on your monster beer carbonating as well...I kept mine in a warmer area of the house, so perhaps try that with yours as well if it's still not picking up if you sample again...

Planned: Heady Topper Clone! Wild Cider?, Hop Metheglin #3 (NZ hops), Trad. Gesho T'ej

Old 10-10-2012, 08:29 AM   #197
Piratwolf
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Checking in! The Saffron Tripel has been in bright tank under low CO2 since the start of July, and I'm looking to chill & carbonate then bottle from my kegerator on the 27th. I'll probably prime and bottle the Brett BGS before that. The Thiriez (3711 French Saison) Tripel has been bottle conditioning about 4 months already and will have 6 months by the time it gets to those who want it

I'm very excited about trying all these beers. It seems to me that the "PM & post" approach to reviewing the beers is most likely to work. While I've been know to drink good beers too late in a night to appreciate them, everyone has put too much effort into this for me not to do my reviews sober. Plus, it'll help me prep for my BJCP tasting exam!

EDIT: I'm looking through all the posts to get a count on the split counts to send out and don't see any from Pint_destroyer. Anyone know if he's still in?

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:11 PM   #198
sfrisby
Feedback Score: 12 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 246 Times on 165 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piratwolf

EDIT: I'm looking through all the posts to get a count on the split counts to send out and don't see any from Pint_destroyer. Anyone know if he's still in?
I would recommend getting a last minute confirm from everyone confirming participation prior to shipping next month. Last year we had one guy who gladly accept our beers while never shipped his own.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:35 PM   #199
biochemedic

Recipes 

Further to "checking in" and such, I only so far have addresses from dgez, SavoryChef, Piratwolf, and Draygon. If the rest of you can get me your addresses by PM, this will at least serve as a "roll call" for now...

Old 10-10-2012, 08:27 PM   #200
Piratwolf
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfrisby

I would recommend getting a last minute confirm from everyone confirming participation prior to shipping next month. Last year we had one guy who gladly accept our beers while never shipped his own.
Good call!

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.

Quick Reply