Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > 12 Beers of Christmas 2012!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2012, 04:03 PM   #91
jtakacs
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

let me know when i'm a go bio and mike, i can hang on the sidelines for a while... thanks for the recipe also bio - the reason i asked was because the first thing that came to mind was a brett-c finished abbey weizen. the recipe will help me be more "normal" - lol... i just may brew this anyway.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2012, 04:23 PM   #92
Piratwolf
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by biochemedic

RDWHAHB...

I pretty routinely add sugar additions during the primary. I'm not sure you even need to break it down into the 1/2 lb increments. I've added 1 lb for sure without any problem. There may even be some advantage to doing it this way...for especially high gravity brews, you're not shocking the yeast right up front with the whole gravity...they can get started with less osmotic stress, then you give them more food once they're rocking. The only thing is that those sugars won't get the full effect of the 60 or 90 min of boiling, and you may miss out on some caramelization that could happen. Also, you need to take into account the effect that the lower boil gravity may have on your hop utilization...
Thanks. I read some threads here re: sugar additions in primary & it definitely seems ok, which is a relief. I hadn't considered the hop utilization aspect until you mentioned it and I don't know how to do the math off the top of my head. But I was on the high end for style anyway, so lower utilization shouldn't knock me out of the range.

Cheers!

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.

Old 06-20-2012, 05:23 AM   #93
jtakacs
Recipes 

range, shmange. rock it.

brewing ranges are for people that follow directions.

**** happens = once in a lifetime brews, happen. have a beer (HAB)... way shorther than rahawb, rhahb, rdwahahb, or whatever the acronym for the decade is...

Old 06-20-2012, 06:32 AM   #94
biochemedic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakacs View Post
let me know when i'm a go bio and mike, i can hang on the sidelines for a while... thanks for the recipe also bio - the reason i asked was because the first thing that came to mind was a brett-c finished abbey weizen. the recipe will help me be more "normal" - lol... i just may brew this anyway.
But you may be 'abbey normal'...

I haven't heard back from mikeysab yet, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to start brewing if you think you'd like the brew for yourself anyway!
Secondary: Why do I keep this line here...?
Bulk Aging: Cocobochet
Planned: Hop Metheglin #3 (NZ hops), Trad. Gesho T'ej

Old 06-20-2012, 04:49 PM   #95
biochemedic

Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Just heard back from mikeysab...he's officially bowing out. jtakacs, it's all you!

Secondary: Why do I keep this line here...?
Bulk Aging: Cocobochet
Planned: Hop Metheglin #3 (NZ hops), Trad. Gesho T'ej

Old 06-20-2012, 08:01 PM   #96
jtakacs
Recipes 

i'm in! i'll be out of touch for a week or so, but i'll catch up... i'll build the recipe tonight.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:05 PM   #97
sfrisby
Feedback Score: 12 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 261 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Even though the recipes are filled, if there are any interested lurkers, make yourself known. Even after brewing began last year, accidents happened and we needed reserves.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:03 PM   #98
Draygon
Recipes 

So, took another reading this morning and was surprised to see that it is now at 1.016...and still going down.

Tbe imperial Stout is currently sitting at 12.5% ABV officially the biggest beer ive ever made!

Primary:Empty
Secondary: Amber Ale
Bottled: B2 Amber, Scottish Ale, Honey B Ale, Cherry Stout, Bourbon Vanilla Porter, Double Chocolate (Milk) Stout, B2 Cream Ale, Amber Cider, Maple syrup dark ale, Pirate Strong Ale, Midas touch clone, Spiced Imperial Stout, Olde Ale

Planned: Milk Stout, Barley Wine

Old 06-21-2012, 11:44 PM   #99
jtakacs
Recipes 

happened to be down in concord today so i stopped at morebeer and picked up my yeast (abbey II 1762)... if'n you guys don't mind, i'm going to turn this more into a winter-ish beer instead of the lighter gravity version from radical brews... won't be "imperial" per se, but i'm going to try to make it a little bold and brash. gonna ferment slightly warm, more aggressive hop character, but i'll keep the color light and the wheat percentage high...

Old 06-22-2012, 12:12 AM   #100
Draygon
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakacs
happened to be down in concord today so i stopped at morebeer and picked up my yeast (abbey II 1762)... if'n you guys don't mind, i'm going to turn this more into a winter-ish beer instead of the lighter gravity version from radical brews... won't be "imperial" per se, but i'm going to try to make it a little bold and brash. gonna ferment slightly warm, more aggressive hop character, but i'll keep the color light and the wheat percentage high...
Fine by me!

Primary:Empty
Secondary: Amber Ale
Bottled: B2 Amber, Scottish Ale, Honey B Ale, Cherry Stout, Bourbon Vanilla Porter, Double Chocolate (Milk) Stout, B2 Cream Ale, Amber Cider, Maple syrup dark ale, Pirate Strong Ale, Midas touch clone, Spiced Imperial Stout, Olde Ale

Planned: Milk Stout, Barley Wine

Quick Reply