Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > 12/12/12

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2012, 05:05 PM   #11
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 266

We could brew something to be shared (that's what the 12-12-12 date is typically for) on 11-12-13. I'm hoping to be able to brew a BIG beer within a couple of months (after my move in a couple of weeks). Need to finish nailing down a recipe I've been working on that will use WLP099. I want something that will push it to the limits (25%). Might involve getting a bigger mash tun, or making a second one and split the grain between them. Otherwise, I'll have to do something else to get to my target range.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2012, 05:09 PM   #12
ktblunden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 289 Times on 175 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
We could brew something to be shared (that's what the 12-12-12 date is typically for) on 11-12-13. I'm hoping to be able to brew a BIG beer within a couple of months (after my move in a couple of weeks). Need to finish nailing down a recipe I've been working on that will use WLP099. I want something that will push it to the limits (25%). Might involve getting a bigger mash tun, or making a second one and split the grain between them. Otherwise, I'll have to do something else to get to my target range.
You can try mashing once and then using the runoff as your mash and sparge water for some fresh grain. I know people have done that, but I have no idea what kind of efficiency you can expect from that or how high you can get the gravity by repeating the process.

EDIT: Actually, on second thought I think the ph of the wort would affect its ability to convert the sugars in the remaining grain. Plus, I don't think it's possible to go past a certain level of saturation of sugars.

Old 09-13-2012, 05:14 PM   #13
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktblunden View Post
You can try mashing once and then using the runoff as your mash and sparge water for some fresh grain. I know people have done that, but I have no idea what kind of efficiency you can expect from that or how high you can get the gravity by repeating the process.
I was just looking at making a second mash tun so that the water to grain ratio would be good (and not fill the mash tun too much). I can mash about 28-30 pounds of grain in my current mash tun (a converted keg). If I make another, and split the grist between, I should get a good efficiency and such. Just means I'll need to order another false bottom (NorCal) for the second mash tun. I have everything else needed to make this.

Other option is to get/make a larger mash tun. Only issue there is cost. I'd rather continue to direct fire the mash tun, so that could become an issue. Of course, another issue for having two mash tuns is burners. Right now I have two burners, but only one has the longer legs. I'd end up heating the sparge water on the stove. Maybe do a staggered mash so that by the time I'm sparging one, I can get the second mash tun sparge volume up to temp. Going to be more logisticals if I try to mash like this. My other option is to use other fermenting sugars in the batch. I'll need to offset any drying effect that could have by mashing at a higher temperature (easily done).

Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 09-13-2012, 05:16 PM   #14
ktblunden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 289 Times on 175 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I think your best option as far as efficiency and cost is going with a split mash in two vessels.

Old 09-13-2012, 05:22 PM   #15
iambeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 158 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Cool tradition. In numerology, the number twelve is considered the number of completeness, as reflected in the twelve months of the year, twelve hours of the clock, twelve gods of Olympus, twelve tribes of Israel, twelve apostles of Jesus, the 12 successors of Muhammad in Shia Islam, twelve signs of the Zodiac, twelve eggs in a dozen, etc..... not sure how that would translate into a beer style. But maybe something inline with what beer a greek god would drink, and taking advantage of the cold temperatures, with an OG of 1.048, or 1.060, 1.072, 1.084 etc and FG of 1.012... and other crazy ideas.. okay I'm having way too much fun with this.

As for the 13 problem, the baker's dozen instead of the regular dozen, well there are only (2) Fridays the 13th in (2)013: In September and in December. I'm talking about the superstition and not the movies. I think I'll be very lucky to get the chance to brew on both those days.

Old 09-13-2012, 05:44 PM   #16
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktblunden View Post
I think your best option as far as efficiency and cost is going with a split mash in two vessels.
That's what I was thinking... I do have 9# of honey that was a mid-season harvest, so it's really light in color and very low in flavors (couldn't really detect any in the mead I made with some of it, last time I checked). I was thinking of adding that to the brew to increase the gravity. So maybe a bigger braggot recipe.

Fermenting
K1:

Old 09-14-2012, 01:04 AM   #17
signpost
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 454

Is it possible to get to an OG of 2.012?

Bottled - Northern Brewer's Oud Bruin de Table; The Land of Pils and Honey, imperial Saison with Clover Honey; a sour mashed Berliner Weisse; Cascade Pale Ale; Hop Wine - Imperial India Pilsner Ale; Guajillo Ancho Brown Ale; Back To School Porter, Imperial Robust Porter with vanilla beans

Old 09-14-2012, 01:09 AM   #18
barneygumble
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt_Kirks View Post
Isn't that about a week before the world ends?

Yes, yes it is. No point in brewing that day. No one will be left to drink it. Ever. I would focus on consuming as much of the pipeline as possible from 12-12-12 to the end.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:34 AM   #19
Krazykripple
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

i might brew a 12% BDSA, it's a little out of style but who cares

Old 09-14-2012, 03:02 PM   #20
Bradinator
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by signpost View Post
Is it possible to get to an OG of 2.012?
I threw it into beersmith. You would need to use about 185lbs of malt for a 5 gallon batch.

Thats going to be one hell of a mash.

"There is only two ways do to something; The smart way or the hard way."

"Beer is pretty resilient stuff, its resistant to human stupidity"

Bradinator's Brews

signpost Likes This 

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS