11.2oz vs. 12oz

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CidahMastah

Reaction score
Just wanted to say that I can't think of one thing more annoying to me with some commercial beers than the downsizing form 12oz to 11.2. Well only of course bad beer.

Seriously folks. If I grab a $5 a bottle specialty craft beer off the shelf... give me my 12oz and quit shortchanging me .8oz for your profits. I would prefer to pay the extra .10 it costs to get a proper bottle.

I hereby boycott all 11.2oz bottles of beer! :D

I like a lot of European brews, but I will admit that I rarely buy commercial beer. I brew my beer. So maybe this is just an annoyance from picking up some Orval today and other brews.

IMO this isn't about being European (though I guess 11.2 is about 1/3 of a liter). I have noticed distributors that are decidedly not European switch from 12oz to 11.2 oz. For example, smirnoff products, Mike's hard lemonade (wife drinks these), Labbatts products for beer used to be 12oz, now I find more 11.2 bottles and cans in the stores. I guess the Canadians prescribe to the metric system as well though.

Is a "pint" internationally understood? ha

Sadly I am not a Rogue fan. I tried their dead guy pale ale once and was unimpressed. Brews from stone however I would happily pay for $4-5 for a 22. Well not happily, but the brews are often worth it IMO.

I agree. I love Belgian Palm but also drink commercial beer for the bottles so Palm is out at 11.2oz Silly really.

I am now so hooked on these:

Franziskaner Weissbier
Spaten Optimator Doppelbock

and yes they are in 12oz bottles. Can I get a amen?

moench_ani.gif

I agree. I love Belgian Palm but also drink commercial beer for the bottles so Palm is out at 11.2oz Silly really.

Franziskaner Weissbier

moench_ani.gif

Amen!

I too love me some Franziskaner, the wiessbier or the dunkel. Darn good stuff! Funny because I love spaten too.

If the others want to go to an 11.2 reduction, let's get a price reduction ;). All these beers have been going up in price right on schedule. Most 6 packs are nearly $2 a bottle or more.

A couple European buddies of mine have told me that the standard pour across the pond is more like half a liter (500ml or 16.9 oz). This makes sense because a lot of the Polish brews I buy for my (Polish) wife and I are 16.9. Especially the no name ones that we can only find at the local Polish store.

Franziskaner Weissbier

moench_ani.gif

Lol I just tried both of these this past week. I got the Franz Dunkel, it was yummy.

Even if it is 11.2, I love buying Guinness just because their bottles look awesome and will look even cooler with my beer in it.

11.2 oz ~ 330ml
common size, international

Too bad the US is stuck in the dark ages and has not gone metric.
So much easier.

It's the metric system. It's slowly taking over. Which is a good thing. Let go of your imperial measures, they do more harm than good.

It's the metric system. It's slowly taking over. Which is a good thing. Let go of your imperial measures, they do more harm than good.

11.2 oz of beer instead of 12 oz of beer is never a good thing.

However feel free to serve me a 500ml beer anytime. That makes a hell of a lot more sense than.... 331.223531ml of beer (as per google conversion calculator).

If "dark ages" means I get more beer, keep the renaissance away.

+1 you beat me to it haha

scottland - Do you brew in the metric system?

scottland - Do you brew in the metric system?

I'm slowly getting there. I weigh all my hop additions to grams, and I'm not far from switching to kg for my grains. The final step will be my water volumes in liters.

My temperature controllers are all already in Celsius. It's really not that hard to figure out.

I'm slowly getting there. I weigh all my hop additions to grams, and I'm not far from switching to kg for my grains. The final step will be my water volumes in liters.

My temperature controllers are all already in Celsius. It's really not that hard to figure out.

I am razzing you a bit because everyone always makes the "metric is better comment", then doesn't actually practice what they preach - no hard feelings though :mug: because in many ways I agree :D

I use grams for hops because it just makes sense and it way easier to measure accurately. I used to use all metric when I cooked my way through school, especially when it came to baking bread and high end pastry type dessert making (it was the language that was spoken in terms of measures). Way easier to use and accurately tweak aspects of a recipe in small increments.

However, when I go to HD, way easier for me to think in terms of ft/inches and fractions on nominal lumber than it is for mm and meters when it comes to building materials.

Point is I won't be switching to kg or liters or C anytime soon because while metric is the language in high end baking and fine dining dessert recipes, it simply isn't with most home brewers. So it makes it a chore to convert all the time. That is just my opinion. But good luck to you on the conversion to metric brewing. All that said if I go pro someday I will for sure be working in metric (and won't sell 11.2 oz bottles of beer ;)).

On a lighter note, if those breweries went to a larger volume I would be ok with it. But less than 12oz makes me feel like I am drinking coronitas. And for the price I sure as hell shouldn't feel that low ha!

I rarely ever see craft beers in single 12oz (or 11.2) servings. All of the grocery stores up here carry mostly 6 and 12 packs of 12 oz bottles, or 22oz for the specialty craft beers. These range in price from $5 on the low end to $11.99 for the very high end. Seeing these prices is what makes me ok with spending $50 on 5 gallons of beer! That comes to around $2 per 22oz.

I rarely ever see craft beers in single 12oz (or 11.2) servings. All of the grocery stores up here carry mostly 6 and 12 packs of 12 oz bottles, or 22oz for the specialty craft beers. These range in price from $5 on the low end to $11.99 for the very high end. Seeing these prices is what makes me ok with spending $50 on 5 gallons of beer! That comes to around $2 per 22oz.

When I was in Massachusetts, I had to buy in liquor stores, and there were lots of 22oz stuff available for more than I was generally willing to spend. Now I buy in grocery stores, and it's usually six packs for $8-9 with fairly little deviation.

Also, awesome handle.

When I was in Massachusetts, I had to buy in liquor stores, and there were lots of 22oz stuff available for more than I was generally willing to spend. Now I buy in grocery stores, and it's usually six packs for $8-9 with fairly little deviation.

Also, awesome handle.

Thanks! I actually saw your handle and thought of Tar Valon before I saw your comment about my handle!

I have gotten spoiled out here in the Republic of Cascadia (Puget Sound area of Washington State!) There are probably 30 to 50 different 22oz craft beers available in your average grocery store like Albertsons, Fred Meyer, Central Market, Whole Foods, etc...

Thanks! I actually saw your handle and thought of Tar Valon before I saw your comment about my handle!

I have gotten spoiled out here in the Republic of Cascadia (Puget Sound area of Washington State!) There are probably 30 to 50 different 22oz craft beers available in your average grocery store like Albertsons, Fred Meyer, Central Market, Whole Foods, etc...

Yeah, I'm a huge Tennessee Vol fan and current UNC Tar Heel student, so the slight modification was pretty perfect.

I think our Whole Foods might have some 22s. But I usually do my beer shopping at Food Lion. I'm just amazed that Food Lion has a selection such that I do my beer shopping there. The ones in Tennessee had Sam Adams, Dos Equis, Fat Tire, and a whole bunch of BMC. Here I can get any of that plus the major offerings from Big Boss, Duck-Rabbit, Highland, etc.

I got so mad at the Rogue brewery in Newport the other day. I get my bill and my pint cost $5.75. This is at the friggin brewery, not to mention they were "shaker" pints, so it wasn't even 16 ounces. They have a few great beers but the majority is average. On the tour the guide also stated how rogue spends little to no money on advertising. Where is the money going, those stupid fancy painted bombers? Yeesh.

/rant

It has nothing to do with profits, especially when you name brewers like Orval and Guinness. This is done because they don't even use ounces, they are bottling in liters. This is a silly thread if the complaint is about a brewery over seas. I could see if your favorite local US micro started doing it, but realize we aren't the only country out there.

I got so mad at the Rogue brewery in Newport the other day. I get my bill and my pint cost $5.75. This is at the friggin brewery, not to mention they were "shaker" pints, so it wasn't even 16 ounces. They have a few great beers but the majority is average. On the tour the guide also stated how rogue spends little to no money on advertising. Where is the money going, those stupid fancy painted bombers? Yeesh.

/rant
Heh, the only time I buy Rogue anymore is when it occasionally shows up at Costco. Or during last year's Hop Madness at Chatoe Rogue when they're having a garage sale. Figured, they were letting us camp down wind of the hop kiln for two nights, better buy something. They're hosting us again this year, you should go if you can, and bring your brewery.

nanofreak said:
It has nothing to do with profits, especially when you name brewers like Orval and Guinness. This is done because they don't even use ounces, they are bottling in liters. This is a silly thread if the complaint is about a brewery over seas. I could see if your favorite local US micro started doing it, but realize we aren't the only country out there.

They bottle in ml. If you enter a foreign market for profit you customize your product for that market for maximum traction. Ask Mercedes or any other foreign vehicle manufacturer. If they can change something as complex as glass compounds and emission systems to name a few I am sure foreign breweries can make a 12oz bottle. Or just to keep everybody happy a 355 ml bottle.

Heh, the only time I buy Rogue anymore is when it occasionally shows up at Costco. Or during last year's Hop Madness at Chatoe Rogue when they're having a garage sale. Figured, they were letting us camp down wind of the hop kiln for two nights, better buy something. They're hosting us again this year, you should go if you can, and bring your brewery.

I'm definitely excited to go to Chatoe Rogue in the late summer (only about 40 minutes from me). I guess that's where they are spending their funds, and I am in full support of it. I'll have to check out Hop Madness, never heard of it.

I'm definitely excited to go to Chatoe Rogue in the late summer (only about 40 minutes from me). I guess that's where they are spending their funds, and I am in full support of it. I'll have to check out Hop Madness, never heard of it.
2012 will be August 25 – 26. http://www.hopmadnessfest.com

It's a lot of fun. Make sure you bring your best damn hoppy beer for the contest. But hopefully the crowd will be saying "f'ing COHO!" again :D

:mug: nano said what I was thinking while reading through this thread.

They bottle in ml. If you enter a foreign market for profit you customize your product for that market for maximum traction. Ask Mercedes or any other foreign vehicle manufacturer. If they can change something as complex as glass compounds and emission systems to name a few I am sure foreign breweries can make a 12oz bottle. Or just to keep everybody happy a 355 ml bottle.

Well ****, you better call brooklyn brewery, they ship their 12 oz bottles over seas. Selfish bastards. So do many breweries in the states.

If a bottle of beer had the same profit margins as a mercedes what you are saying could be in the realm of sanity. Buying a second non standard so more expensive bottling line just to please people that dont use logic doesnt make sense. Not only that the increase in the 12 ounces price to pay for not just the extra beer but the extra bottling line, and extra space needed for it, etc would piss me off more than understanding why I dont get that fraction of an ounce.

BTW, I dont see people bitching when they get 750ML rather than 22oz.

A lot of the stores around here let you take single bottles out of the sixers.

Yeah, I'd say half the liquor stores I frequent. I rarely buy sixers anymore and never buy a sixer of something I've never had before. Too risky.

Haha - me too. Sounds sad but a sixer is a lot of commitment for me when I only want to try one. Wegmans has a build your own 6 pack rack. It is great because they do rotate stuff in and out. I remember they had DFH 120, 90 and 60 in there (9.99 a sixer). I was like, man that is cheaper than buying the 4 packs of some of those. Great way to try lots of stuff.

well... that is because a 750ml is about 25 oz, which is more than a 22oz :rolleyes:

I think your missing the point of this thread. If I pay a premium price for a beer, I get to ***** about missing .8oz.

I have seen products, not just beer, shrink in size by weight over the past several years, yet the price has stayed the same or in some cases risen. From soap, to prepackaged foods, etc. There was a time when Labatts blue was never offered in 11.2oz. I know because that was mostly what I would buy for my everyday beer through college. I also lived up near Canada and we went up there all the time to visit because it was a 30 minute drive. Molson, Labatt, etc., was all in 12oz bottles, in Canada (this is since I was 18 years old, which was the age to drink legally up there)! 14 years later I see it in 11.2, which means that they changed the way they were packaging it.

Clever packaging saves companies money. Perhaps this isn't the case with beer but I don't believe it. Like I said, my buddies who live in Spain, Germany, Scottland and England have told me the common size growing up was 500ml. Just as easy to make 355ml bottles vs. 331ml.

Well ****, you better call brooklyn brewery, they ship their 12 oz bottles over seas. Selfish bastards. So do many breweries in the states.

If a bottle of beer had the same profit margins as a mercedes what you are saying could be in the realm of sanity. Buying a second non standard so more expensive bottling line just to please people that dont use logic doesnt make sense. Not only that the increase in the 12 ounces price to pay for not just the extra beer but the extra bottling line, and extra space needed for it, etc would piss me off more than understanding why I dont get that fraction of an ounce.

Take hold of a cold home brew and relax man. Why would anyone complain getting more beer so kudos for Brooklyn Brewery for shipping 12oz overseas? 750ml is 25.36oz so again why would anyone complain getting more beer? I do not think you will find such a person here. I just used the auto industry as an example of companies having to 'modify' products for foreign markets and I think you also underestimate the profits these commercial brewing companies make, might rival Mercedes, I don't know.

Again, I buy commercial beer for two reasons:
1. Beer - obvious
2. The bottles for my home brew and to that extent the beer from Spaten and Franziskaner (Munich) are imported to the US in 12oz bottles. Aaaah... thank you.

Bottling my home brew in a 11.2oz bottle and then still having to leave a bit in the bottle for yeast sediment really makes a difference, you think it is only 1oz but man I can't help feeling shorted every time that frosty glass looks half full (or half empty depending on your outlook of life) after I pour a brew. I actually had a big collection of the Belgian Palm 11.2oz bottles but sent them to recycling with hope they will come back one day as 12oz bottles ;) I am also 6'4" with big hands (not that small grubby carny hands that smell like cabbage) and I can report that a 11.2oz bottle does not feel right and looks tiny.

Not only that the increase in the 12 ounces price to pay for not just the extra beer but the extra bottling line, and extra space needed for it, etc
Shoots a big hole in your previous statement...
It has nothing to do with profits

I am also 6'4" with big hands (not that small grubby carny hands that smell like cabbage) and I can report that a 11.2oz bottle does not feel right and looks tiny.

:D HAHA, too funny - thanks for the "field research". You can put in me in that club as well.

I think your missing the point of this thread. If I pay a premium price for a beer, I get to ***** about missing .8oz.

You're surely allowed to ***** about whatever you want. If you're being realistic, you also understand that as time passes, prices go up or size goes down, and consumers are usually less likely to notice, and therefore react to, a decrease in size. So you really have no one to blame but the consumer. :D

So you really have no one to blame but the consumer

true. Which is why I brew my own beer and remove myself from the consumer end as much as possible. I find less self loathing going on that way :D

Latest posts

Back