Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > 10k USD to start a home brewing business. Possible?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2012, 01:27 AM   #11
VagabondBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Short answer no
Could you "start" towards one yes but you will quickly need a lot more capital.

Having a property in Oregon zoned right and isn't connect to a house will cut down costs. Starting the company is $100 depending what you form. You could get a system for under 10k but then everything else needed to be successful would pass 10k pretty quick. Despite the 250k being the normal. You could do it for under 100k and depending on how quickly you realize you want to transition from nano, add anywhere from 50k - 100k more for the upgrade.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2012, 01:39 AM   #12
SweetAmmonia
Recipes 

Likes Given: 15

I'd like to start off by maybe just trying to get a few of my kegs into local pubs. I was thinking about adapting my 3 car garage that is extremely clean into where I brew. I have no plans to get a separate building if I can find a way around it. I just want to start very small and simple. Maybe if things pick up and my brews are well received I'd like to do something like Captured by Porches, which is a brewery food cart here in PDX. http://capturedbyporches.com/

Old 07-17-2012, 01:49 AM   #13
SweetAmmonia
Recipes 

"A 3 or 4 barrel microbrewery (wholesale production) is doomed to either fail, or enslave its operator with interminable hours and little compensation until he can upgrade his equipment to a large enough system to become profitable on. In many instances the venture self destructs and visits financial ruin upon the owner."

Not looking good.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:54 AM   #14
SweetAmmonia
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
$250,000 seems to be a minimum number that gets thrown around here to start a brewery.

Can you clarify what you mean by home brewery?
I was just thinking about kegging and hustling my brews to local pubs. Just a really small operation. From what I've been reading here this might not even be profitable.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:56 AM   #15
BrewKnurd
Formerly discnjh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongrel
In Oregon, he can do it in his basement. He'll just have to give TTB/OLCC 24 hour access to it.
Interesting.... I don't know if that's a worthwhile tradeoff or not, but interesting option!

Fake it til you make it.

Old 07-17-2012, 02:01 AM   #16
Mongrel
Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Check out Below Grade Brewing in Bend. The guy started amazingly small, brews in his basement, and sold all his initial beers at local farmer's markets with $15 day permits from the OLCC. You'll probably have to keep the day job, but you can start small. I don't think he even has a website yet, he was still just using his facebook page last time I searched for a site. (ok, still no site)

According to this, he had to only allow access to the basement brewery from an outside door. So, there might be some additional home improvements involved.

Old 07-17-2012, 02:12 AM   #17
Phunhog
Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 66

I think it ultimately comes down to what your goals are for having a brewery. Do you want a career change or just take brewing to another level. This article deals with "nano" winemakers but I think it has a lot of relevance for us brewers.http://ventanamonthly.com/article.ph...68&IssueNum=74 I think they are on the right track!! They are starting small vineyards not to make money but rather because they love it!! Some readily admit that they will never be profitable and they are ok with that. I see operating a nanobrewery the same way..if you aren't doing it out of love why are you doing it at all?

Check out my nanobrewery!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Two...02323289804018

Jay1 Likes This 
Old 07-17-2012, 02:18 AM   #18
BrewKnurd
Formerly discnjh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongrel View Post

According to this, he had to only allow access to the basement brewery from an outside door. So, there might be some additional home improvements involved.
Ah, so that might be the key to the basement thing. Its in the same building, but is essentially completely isolated from the residence.

Fake it til you make it.

Old 07-17-2012, 05:15 AM   #19
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 228 Times on 191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewKnurd View Post
Ah, so that might be the key to the basement thing. Its in the same building, but is essentially completely isolated from the residence.
That's how New Belgium started, at least according to the brewery tour.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:13 AM   #20
integra93ls
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

Subd I'm looking into it also but in ny. I found a building for $10,000 rent for the yr ($833 mo). I figured start with either 1bbl or if I can get money 3.5 bbl. Brew like 5-7 times a week. If its 1bbl n I sell 750ml bottles . U get about 165 bottles from 1bbl. Most places sell that size beer around here from $7-10 ea. So let's say I sell for $5 ea. 165 x $5. $825 for that 1bbl batch. Minus cost. I would say around $325 at most. So a profit of around $500x5(times a week) is $2500 week x4 weeks is $10,000 mo. I'm sure u can still make a decent profit out of that after all cost. Am I right?

Quick Reply