Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Is a 10+ year old beer drinkable

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2012, 08:52 PM   #1
Thomasaug
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Is a 10+ year old beer drinkable

I found two bottles of Fullers Vintage Ale, one from 1999 and one from 2001. Still perfectly sealed still present.

Any danger in drinking a beer this old? Found it at my parents from before I moved away after college. Considering popping the top, but still a bit nervous.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2012, 08:53 PM   #2
Gear101
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 187

you have a 50 50 chance.. might be good.. might taste like soy sauce..

Islamorada Pale Ale by Island Time Brewery

Stainless is Painless

Old 05-20-2012, 08:57 PM   #3
Coiz
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Only one way to be sure, grab a bottle opener.

Old 05-20-2012, 09:01 PM   #4
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Liked 319 Times on 239 Posts
Likes Given: 227

There is no danger. The beer might be oxidized, it may no longer be good - but nothing pathogenic can grow in beer. Taste may be bad, but it CANNOT hurt you.

On the other hand, you might have excellent beer on your hands. Only one way to find out!

Fermenting: nothing
Lagering: Swarthy Satyr (traditional bock)
Bottled: Royal Goblin (Hoppy Hobgoblin rendition), Treasure Type "T" (oatmeal toffee stout), Enchantress (big Irish red ale), Frostfire (Oktoberfest), Thundersmoke brown ale

Old 05-20-2012, 09:01 PM   #5
Thomasaug
Recipes 

Default I guess thats true...

Drinking it is the only way to tell and I will give it a try. Just hope I don't lose my vision.

Old 05-20-2012, 09:04 PM   #6
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasaug View Post
Drinking it is the only way to tell and I will give it a try. Just hope I don't lose my vision.
This gets discussed here on HBT several times per week. NOTHING harmful to human can grow in beer. This is why beer came into vogue - water tended to kill people in ancient times, but the alcohol helped make sure that didn't happen.

Bottled: Royal Goblin (Hoppy Hobgoblin rendition), Treasure Type "T" (oatmeal toffee stout), Enchantress (big Irish red ale), Frostfire (Oktoberfest), Thundersmoke brown ale

Old 05-20-2012, 11:40 PM   #7
thetragichero
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewdad View Post
water tended to kill people in ancient times, but the alcohol helped make sure that didn't happen.
wasn't it the act of boiling the water that did it?
i think the alcohol was just an added bonus

Old 05-20-2012, 11:57 PM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2712 Times on 1630 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

How many times do we have to say this. Why are people freaking afraid of this????

Beer doesn't go "bad" unless your sanitization is weak. Since nothing PATHOGENIC can exist in beer/wine/cider/mead, there should never be a reason to ever fear tasting something like this, no matter how old it is. Yeah, it may taste like crap, it may be vinegar, but NOTHING that could happen, could ever cause harm to anyone.

It's not worth passing by on something that could be amazing, because of fear.....

Noone thinks twice about drinking old wine do they?????

Beer is really no different than wine, homebrew or otherwise. Properly stored it can last and be drinkable for 100s of years.

To put it in perspective, in the Dec 07 Zymurgy Charlie Papazian reviewed bottles of homebrew going back to the first AHC competition that he had stored, and none of them went bad, some had not held up but most of them he felt were awesome...We're talking over 20 years worth of beers.

This is a great thread about one of our guys tasting 4-5 years of his stored brew.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/revi...assics-160672/

And I brewed an og 1.150, 150 IBU barleywine that I won't be opening for 5 years.

Not to mention the fact that there are vertical tasting for certain beers like Stone epic, where people collect each years beer and then sample a flight of them going back in time.

I just had this expericence not too long ago... We tried 48 year old beer today. One was interesting and drinkable, and one was gnarly.

Mbowenze has a thread about tasting an over 100 year old beer recently. And In my history thread there's a video of the OZ and James Drink to Britain tv series where they taste a beer older than that.....one that goes back to Napoleanic times iirc.

It all depends on how they were stored.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-21-2012, 02:47 PM   #9
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetragichero View Post
wasn't it the act of boiling the water that did it?
i think the alcohol was just an added bonus
Boiling kills most pathogens. Alcohol (and the PH of beer) prevents new ones, and kills some that boiling alone does not.

Old 05-21-2012, 05:32 PM   #10
tugbucket
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Try to sell one. I was reading this month's Food and Wine and there's an article on the "new" trend of cellaring beers. One line said that a 7 year old bottle of Alaskan Barleywine sold for $1500 on eBay.

I;m all for keeping some of my own laying around for a while but, if someone wants to pay my mortgage for me...

Quick Reply