Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > 1 day in Munich

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2009, 02:01 AM   #1
mkultra69
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 1 day in Munich

The family and I will be heading to Germany Friday to visit friends and see the sights. I only have time for 1 day at Oktoberfest in Munich. We will be taking the train from Vilseck so we will be getting into Munich around noon, and staying until the last train out. For those that have been, what advice can you give for cant miss tents. Cant miss sights. Cant miss events. Cant miss Oktoberfest!!! Hope to see some of you there!!!

Live better buy union

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2009, 02:19 AM   #2
PlainsBrew
Recipes 

Never been there, but I bet its awesome... Have a great time!

"No matter who you talk to, or how much you disagree with them, there is always beer to settle all disputes." ~ Unknown

"Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today." - Edgar Allan Poe

Old 09-22-2009, 02:37 AM   #3
mkultra69
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainsBrew View Post
Never been there, but I bet its awesome... Have a great time!
Thanks. This is the first time out of the US, so I'm pretty excited. My buddy is going to take us for a day trip to Praug as well as a day trip to Neuschwanstein. We might even cross the border to Austria (really to just get a stamp in the passport) We will also have a week in Paris, so if anyone knows a good place for beer, I'm all ears.

Live better buy union

Old 09-22-2009, 03:02 AM   #4
elmetal
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkultra69 View Post
Thanks. This is the first time out of the US, so I'm pretty excited. My buddy is going to take us for a day trip to Praug as well as a day trip to Neuschwanstein. We might even cross the border to Austria (really to just get a stamp in the passport) We will also have a week in Paris, so if anyone knows a good place for beer, I'm all ears.
gotta love the american dream to stamp the passport. I don't quite understand it.

I hate to burst your bubble but unless you are flying, you won't have your passport stamped.

Old 09-23-2009, 12:23 AM   #5
-Dan-
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

No passports are stamped within Europe anymore...even if you fly within Europe. Nope, not Switzerland either. Sorry guys...you barely have to show the passport anymore anyway since almost all countries are part of the EU

As far as Munich goes, visit the Hofbrauhaus, Schneider Brauhaus, Viktualienmarkt, German Museum some of the churches around there (some date back to the 8th century) and the Englischer Garten (there are plenty of beer gardens). To be honest, 1-2 days at the Oktoberfest is plenty especially if you don't have a reservation for one of the tents.

Kulturgüter Hopfen und Malz, Gott erhalt's!

Old 09-23-2009, 03:12 AM   #6
roverlandpark
Recipes 

If you want to drink at Oktoberfest, go to the tents first. You have to be seated to be served and the seats fill up early. If you go later in the day, you will be relegated to very long wait. If you're going on a weekend it's going to be brutal.

I went ten years ago and have been pining to return ever since.

Old 09-23-2009, 04:06 PM   #7
spiny_norman
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Not sure you'd manage Prague as a day trip as it's a bit of a hike. But if you do go, I recommend returning heading south (do the Budvar brewery at Ceske Budejovice) into Austria--just for the scenery. Salzburg en route also. Neuschwanstein is a must-see but the interior is less impressive than the other castle down the hill (a must-see also). My personal favorite place in Munich is the Hofbrauhouse, although I've never been during Octoberfest.

Darn it, this thread is bringing back some fond memories. Wish I was going with you; you'll have a blast.

Old 09-23-2009, 04:32 PM   #8
Icebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

First post
If you come to munich on friday noon you should be able to get seats in one of the big tents. I went there last year and really liked it. Great beer, lots of stuff to do and plenty to eat and drink Just try to check out some of the big tents and drink from few Mass beer mugs , but you can also get Franziskaner weissbier in the weissbier carousels outside. Personally I liked Paulaner festhalle the most.

Old 09-24-2009, 03:51 PM   #9
TAP
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Definitely check out the Haufbrau Haus in Marienplatz--it is a cultural fixture and one of the oldest breweries in Bavaria. As for the Fest, you definitely want to sit inside one of the tents and experience all of the dancing and music. Good luck and enjoy a litre of good Bavarian fest beer. Tschüß!

Old 09-24-2009, 05:22 PM   #10
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Sorry TAP, the Hofbrauhaus is not in Marianplatz...it's about 4 blocks away. I know because I have been to Munich AT LEAST 100 times...and I have always gone to the Hofbrauhaus whenever I went to Munich......(I lived 40 miles from Munich for 4 years).

The castle at the bottom of the hill from Neuschwanstein is the Hohenschwangau.

Prague from Munich is doable in one day, but not a return n the same day.

Ceske Budejovice (Budweis in German) is a great town with a large square in the center. I spent several weekends there. The first time in 1991 when it cost $.26 for a half liter of beer up to 2004 when it cost about $.53.

The beer is excellent and definitely nothing like the American self-proclaimed King of Beers. Gottse dank!!! (Thank God).

True enough, passport stamps are a thing of the past in EU countries. You can still get them for places like Ireland, Poland, Czech Rep, Turkey, etc.

Telling you the best thing to do or see in one day is not really being fair to yourself if you are also trying to throw in Prague (northeast of Munich) and the castles (even further southwest from Munich)...I would concentrate on the Hofbrauhaus, the fest, the glockenspiel show at 11 in Marionplatz, and the fest...( I know I said the fest twice...)...I'd recommend you add 2 more days to really see the sites of Munich.

If you're going to Prague...add another 3 days. One for Plzn, one for Prague and one for CB...

Overall, just have fun!!

PROST!!

Quick Reply