Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > #1 Beer City in America...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2009, 03:41 PM   #21
Parker36
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzombiekitty View Post
Philly should be gone?! Surely you jest. I don't know why NYC is there though. It's not very fair, for NYC to be in these sorts of lists, it's so big that you can find a lot of anything, but doesn't say much about the overall culture. Philly has a very strong beer culture and it's getting stronger and stronger.

There's lots of things to make fun of Philly about, but it definitely deserves to be near top or top of the list of best beer cities.
Philadelphia's got a lot- a lot of culture. Anybody?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2009, 03:44 PM   #22
olllllo
[]-O-[]
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 13

How ever you draw the circle, the writers used a larger "metro" circle for San Diego and a smaller "city of" circle for Portland and they even did that wrong.

The fact remains, that in every numerical comparison, Portland would prevail. If the numerical argument was controlling in the minds of the authors as they stated, they reached a conclusion based on a mistake.

Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 11-04-2009, 03:47 PM   #23
ThickHead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handle View Post
No love for Asheville, NC -- aka Beer City USA? It's a very small mountain town with nine microbreweries and the third best beer store in the world.
Word!

Asheville has a crazy good craftbrew scene.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:04 PM   #24
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I have no problem with San Diego on top, though I tend to think Portland should have been first. I do know Portland should NOT be THIRD!

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 11-04-2009, 05:25 PM   #25
ahansler
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

There are 21 McMenamins in Portland. Take that away from the the 38 the blogger comes up with and Portland gets smoked in number of breweries. Rogue is also listed but I don't think they brew at their public houses (and they are in Newport). San Diego has 26 after removing all Karl Strauss and Oggis locations but one, even though they brew on site.

San Diego county = 13 beers in the BA top 50. Portland (Multnomah County) = 0. (I didn't have time to go through the whole 100)

Lets see the final score here:
San Diego 26 unique breweries and 13 beers in the top 50 beers.
Portland 18 unique breweries and 0 beer in the top 50 beers.

Looks like Men's journal got it right.

Old 11-04-2009, 05:37 PM   #26
BrianTheBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I am moving to San Diego at the end of the month. As of now I live 20 mins outside of Boston. I believe Boston should be in the top 5. I do agree though San Diego is amazing and should be #1.

I have not been to Portland yet but hopefully will soon.

"Good people drink good beer" - Hunter S. Thompson

http://brianthebrewer.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/BrianTheBrewer
http://www.chugsd.com
http://www.quaff.org/

Old 11-04-2009, 05:48 PM   #27
Martin2D
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I don't know of anywhere else in the country where you can get Sculpin, Angel's Share, Older Viscosity, Pliny the Younger, Pliny the Elder, etc all on draft at the same place. Hell you can even buy sixtels of AS and OerV at the distributors.

Philly has huge support from a ton of breweries, so you guys that are saying it shouldn't be on the list obviously have never been there.

Old 11-04-2009, 05:55 PM   #28
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

Liked 309 Times on 307 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahansler View Post
There are 21 McMenamins in Portland. Take that away from the the 38 the blogger comes up with and Portland gets smoked in number of breweries. Rogue is also listed but I don't think they brew at their public houses (and they are in Newport). San Diego has 26 after removing all Karl Strauss and Oggis locations but one, even though they brew on site.

San Diego county = 13 beers in the BA top 50. Portland (Multnomah County) = 0. (I didn't have time to go through the whole 100)

Lets see the final score here:
San Diego 26 unique breweries and 13 beers in the top 50 beers.
Portland 18 unique breweries and 0 beer in the top 50 beers.

Looks like Men's journal got it right.
First off, BA is not a good place to go to for a list of classic good beers, at least their top beers link. It is more of a "most outrageous beer list". There is not a beer in the top 10 that is under 8% and that one is Pliny which is a hop bomb, most are above 10% actually. This has been discussed on here before.

Don't get me wrong, I love a good IIPA or RIS and also love a few beers from the San Diego vicinity but for most categories like a brown porter, amber ale, APA etc... Portland would win out over San Diego. I know your hometown pride is kicking in but how many Portland beers have you really tried with an open mind?

Last edited by humann_brewing; 11-04-2009 at 05:59 PM.

Old 11-04-2009, 06:16 PM   #29
ThickHead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin2D View Post
I don't know of anywhere else in the country where you can get Sculpin, Angel's Share, Older Viscosity, Pliny the Younger, Pliny the Elder, etc all on draft at the same place. Hell you can even buy sixtels of AS and OerV at the distributors.

Philly has huge support from a ton of breweries, so you guys that are saying it shouldn't be on the list obviously have never been there.
I just had my first Sculpin a few days ago. Wow!

Old 11-04-2009, 06:39 PM   #30
ahansler
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I lived in near Portland for a couple years and travel there frequently to visit family. Love me some Full Sail, Hopworks and have had great beer at a handful of breweries.

It was not implied that I do not like any beer from Portland, just pointing out that the number of unique breweries is far less than stated. It seems that that was the biggest point the blogger was making. When 21 of the breweries are McMenamins chains, that may not all brew, you have to take that into account. Their beer (McMenamins) is rather pedestrian though I have had some good seasonals from them now and then.

As far as Imperials go, San Diego is known for them but they also have winners in classic styles as well. BA is not the best judge so let's look at GABF awards. San Diego county breweries won awards this year in Sweet stout, english style pale ale, english brown (silver and bronze), American brown, scotch ale, English IPA and american amber, also a Brewing Company or Brewpub of the year in 3 of the last 5 years.

Yes I am a homer and the Chargers are going to the Super Bowl!

Quick Reply