Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > #1 Beer City in America...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2009, 02:37 PM   #11
Parker36
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Colorado does need representation - second most breweries, most medals at GABF this year, macro and micro brew history.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2009, 02:37 PM   #12
DRoyLenz
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Only because I don't know anything about San Diego, but I'm VERY surprised to even see them on the list. I know Stone is out there, but that is all I was aware of.

I think the rest of the list if pretty fair, except I think NYC should be more like #4 or #5, Philly and Chicago should be higher, and I'm also a little surprised that Denver or Milwaukee are not on there. However, if adding them means pushing Chicago off the list, I'll just bite my tongue.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:45 PM   #13
wonderbread23
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

NY should be out. Philly should probably also be gone. Its a crime that Denver / Ft. Collins didn't make it, and Seattle should have also (although the Pacific NW is already represented by Portland).

Old 11-04-2009, 02:47 PM   #14
Parker36
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderbread23 View Post
NY should be out. Philly should probably also be gone. Its a crime that Denver / Ft. Collins didn't make it, and Seattle should have also (although the Pacific NW is already represented by Portland).
Don't forget Boulder! Denver/Ft COllins/Boulder is like the Bermuda triangle of beer. Except over land. And delicious beer comes out instead of planes going in missing. Nothing like the Bermuda Triangle actually, ignore that.

Old 11-04-2009, 03:12 PM   #15
olllllo
[]-O-[]
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 13

A blogger that I follow on twitter exposed the flawed logic behind selecting San Diego over Portland.

Here is the source: http://www.mensjournal.com/top-five-beer-towns
Here is the blog: http://portland.daveknows.org/2009/1...ghts-portland/

Quote:
I reminded myself, the writers, Christian DeBenedetti and Seth Fletcher, are entitled to their opinions. But then, in the writers’ rationalization for putting San Diego at the top of the list, I read this:
The sheer number of breweries (33) blows us away. (It has crept past Portland, which has 29.)
Well I try to keep up on my Portland factoids, and I was pretty sure that Portland still had more breweries than any other city in the world – Beervana and Munich on the Willamette and all. And as I thought about it some more I realized that I could come up with a list of 25+ Portland area brew pubs and breweries I’ve actually patronized myself. I’m sure there are some I was forgetting or maybe hadn’t even heard of. So I checked up on my factoid at the Oregon Brewers Guild website, and I confirmed that yes, Portland, Oregon actually has 30 breweries within the city, still more than any other city in the world.
Further:

Quote:
. A quick glance at the publication, A Complete Guide To San Diego Breweries (pdf), however, quickly reveals that only 13 of the 32 breweries listed in the Guide are, as matter of fact, in San Diego proper. The rest are in surrounding suburbs and towns in the metropolitan area. Even Stone Brewing Company, probably the best known San Diego brewery (well, the only one I could think of), is based in Escondido. The Portland metropolitan area, on the other hand, has 38 breweries – quite a few more than the San Diego area.
Opinion based on shoddy journalism? I think so.
Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 11-04-2009, 03:18 PM   #16
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

Liked 312 Times on 310 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by olllllo View Post
A blogger that I follow on twitter exposed the flawed logic behind selecting San Diego over Portland.

Here is the source: http://www.mensjournal.com/top-five-beer-towns
Here is the blog: http://portland.daveknows.org/2009/1...ghts-portland/

Further:

Yep, Portland rocks as far as good beer goes.

http://www.portlandbeer.org/brewerymap/

Old 11-04-2009, 03:24 PM   #17
dunnright00
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by olllllo View Post

Further:

Quote:
. A quick glance at the publication, A Complete Guide To San Diego Breweries (pdf), however, quickly reveals that only 13 of the 32 breweries listed in the Guide are, as matter of fact, in San Diego proper. The rest are in surrounding suburbs and towns in the metropolitan area. Even Stone Brewing Company, probably the best known San Diego brewery (well, the only one I could think of), is based in Escondido. The Portland metropolitan area, on the other hand, has 38 breweries – quite a few more than the San Diego area.
The thing about San Diego is, everyone in SD county considers themselves from San Diego. I live in Lemon Grove, but I consider myself from San Diego. SD city limits itself is not very big and it's really hard to tell where say, San Diego ends and National City starts.

So that being said, I would consider Stone, Alesmith, etc. to be in SD even though they are not in the city itself.

"I'm sittin' here, completely surrounded by No Beer!" - Onslow

Old 11-04-2009, 03:34 PM   #18
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

Liked 312 Times on 310 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnright00 View Post
The thing about San Diego is, everyone in SD county considers themselves from San Diego. I live in Lemon Grove, but I consider myself from San Diego. SD city limits itself is not very big and it's really hard to tell where say, San Diego ends and National City starts.

So that being said, I would consider Stone, Alesmith, etc. to be in SD even though they are not in the city itself.
Either way, even if you include all the breweries in the surrounding areas, it still doesn't equal the amount in the Portland city limits, let alone the quality percentage in Portland is way better I keed, kinda....

Let the beer wars begin

Old 11-04-2009, 03:36 PM   #19
weirdboy
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 432 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 60

My first gut instinct when I read the thread title was to say "Portland" and I was surprised to see it at #3 behind NYC, which I didn't even expect to be in the top 5. I also am very surprised to see Colorado unrepresented in that list, when there are so many fine breweries there.

I consider the surrounding areas to be part of the city, as that is standard practice in any city I've ever lived in. You may live in Dunwoody, GA, but you'd tell strangers in an airport bar that you live in Atlanta.

Old 11-04-2009, 03:39 PM   #20
bonzombiekitty
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderbread23 View Post
Philly should be gone?! Surely you jest. I don't know why NYC is there though. It's not very fair for NYC to be in these sorts of lists, it's so big that you can find a lot of anything, but doesn't say much about the overall culture. Philly has a very strong beer culture and it's getting stronger and stronger.

There's lots of things to make fun of Philly about, but it definitely deserves to be near top or top of the list of best beer cities. Even our bums are drinking Belgian imports! (seriously, I've been in a few conversations with local bums about them).

Quick Reply