Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > 1/2 whiskey barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2013, 04:40 AM   #1
juanes152
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 1/2 whiskey barrel

So I work at a nursery and today we just received 210 1/2 whiskey barrels from jack Daniels. Have been brewing for over a year and really want to use these barrels for something. The smell is awesome! Should I try to ferment in one? Or secondary? Just not sure how to use?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2013, 05:06 AM   #2
RainyDay
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Yes! Something like a stout, RIS, BSDA would be great. A few threads on here go into the how part and conditioning the barrel pre-beer. You are a lucky person to have one of those, good stuff!

How the heck did you get one at a nursery?

Old 03-29-2013, 05:07 AM   #3
vp1839
Recipes 

I think you should send me a half dozen.

You can use them for secondary ferm or make a whiskey blend

Old 03-29-2013, 05:15 AM   #4
phreaky
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm going to guess by 1/2 barrel, you mean a barrel that has been cut in half. If that's the case, not really sure you could do anything with them unless you wanted to try an open fermentation. Either that or get one and cut chunk of the oak out to use in your secondary.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:16 AM   #5
juanes152
Recipes 

We sell them for planters. They are all halved. Tried to order whole but they wouldn't ship them due to "liability". It would have to be an open fermentation

Old 03-29-2013, 06:07 AM   #6
Desvio
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Always wanted to age some brew in a barrel, whiskey would be awesome. A friend of mine owns a winery and I have access to countless barrels from various varietals (have a fresh Cab Frac barrel in the garage now), but alas I simply don't and can't brew in that volume.

A nice ale that has aged in a Pinot Noir barrel is incredible. One day maybe, they have enough equipment for me to try it.

"The next best thing to drinking good beer is wearing it" -me

Old 03-29-2013, 01:10 PM   #7
Piratwolf
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desvio
Always wanted to age some brew in a barrel, whiskey would be awesome.... but alas I simply don't and can't brew in that volume..
I hear you on this! Our club just got a whiskey barrel to age an RIS. But it took seven of us to brew enough (most 10gal each, some 5) to get 50gal with another 8 for top off over the coming months.

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.

Old 03-29-2013, 01:32 PM   #8
Teromous
Beer Gnome
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 375 Times on 209 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Obviously you'll want to make sure they hold water before using. I've heard of some whiskey and wine makers that will sell whole barrels to breweries when they're done with the barrel, but selling them as planters when there is a physical defect. If they're selling you these barrels in bulk I highly doubt that a company as reputable as JD has so many defective barrels, so odds are the ones you're getting are fine, but it's something to consider.

I think it's awesome that you're doing an open fermentation on these things. Please do post a lot of pictures and keep us updated. I'd like to see high krausen in a JD barrel, and what the yeast cake looks like after sitting in a whiskey barrel.

Edit: I misread the thread. I agree with phreaky that you should try an open fermentation.

Old 03-29-2013, 03:22 PM   #9
Desvio
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teromous View Post
Obviously you'll want to make sure they hold water before using. I've heard of some whiskey and wine makers that will sell whole barrels to breweries when they're done with the barrel, but selling them as planters when there is a physical defect. If they're selling you these barrels in bulk I highly doubt that a company as reputable as JD has so many defective barrels, so odds are the ones you're getting are fine, but it's something to consider.
Whiskey and wine makers don't get rid of barrels because of any defect, there is only a certain number of times a barrel can be used before oils in the oak and the charring are depleted. And in wine making they may start using infusers to extend their use, and you can only use one varietal or product in them. Once you cross use a barrel like from whiskey or wine to beer, it's then done as we are only infusing our beer with what the barrel had in it before. Then the only thing it's good for is a planter.

"The next best thing to drinking good beer is wearing it" -me

Old 03-29-2013, 07:45 PM   #10
Teromous
Beer Gnome
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 375 Times on 209 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desvio View Post
Whiskey and wine makers don't get rid of barrels because of any defect, there is only a certain number of times a barrel can be used before oils in the oak and the charring are depleted.

I know. Reread my post.

Quote:
I've heard of some whiskey and wine makers that will sell whole barrels to breweries when they're done with the barrel, but selling them as planters when there is a physical defect.

Quick Reply