Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > 0 min hops? How long?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2012, 06:02 AM   #1
mikescooling
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 215 Times on 163 Posts
Likes Given: 193

Default 0 min hops? How long?

The last hops addition at 0 min; how long dose this stay in the wort. If I turn the fire off and pump the wort through the plate chiller, it would seem to not have much time to do any good? Any thoughts on this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2012, 07:24 AM   #2
DannyD
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

This is a very good question,and is far as i understand, "aroma" is "obtained" fast so I dont think time matters as much as first temprature. But I want to ad something: I cool my wort as quick as possible, but it stil takes 2-3 hours before it is under 25'C. How does that effect the hop profile?

Old 06-27-2012, 08:24 AM   #3
C-Rider
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 284

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikescooling View Post
The last hops addition at 0 min; how long dose this stay in the wort. If I turn the fire off and pump the wort through the plate chiller, it would seem to not have much time to do any good? Any thoughts on this?
Good question. I just brewed a porter w/zero hop addition. I let it and the other hops (in bags) stay in the mix until it was cool enough to add the yeast. Don't know if that's right, but it's what I just did yesterday.

Kaiser Ridge Brewing
-------------------------
Bottled in the refer: Maui Wowie(RobustCoffeePorter)
Bottled in the refer: Malahine Ale (Am Pale)
Bottled in the refer: OldGlory (Am Stout)
Bottled in the refer: GermanImperialStout
Bottled in the refer: German IPA
Bottled in the refer: Düsseldorf Altbier

Old 06-27-2012, 10:58 AM   #4
Slipgate
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Interesting. Are you saying you remove the leftover hops before fermenting? I leave everything that was in the boil to be added to the primary. I don't take anything out. I use an immersion chiller and 10 minutes later pitch the yeast and seal up the vessel for a couple of weeks.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:59 AM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4483 Times on 3261 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikescooling View Post
For a hoppy beer, I'll often do a "hop stand" after flame out. That is, let the beer sit for a few minutes before starting the chiller. Then I recirculate the wort, so that the entire batch is about 140 before sending it to my fermenter. I like the hops flavor and aroma profile I get as a result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyD View Post
This is a very good question,and is far as i understand, "aroma" is "obtained" fast so I dont think time matters as much as first temprature. But I want to ad something: I cool my wort as quick as possible, but it stil takes 2-3 hours before it is under 25'C. How does that effect the hop profile?
That does change it somewhat. The longer the wort stays hot (even not boiling), the more the hops are still contributing some small bittering amounts.

Old 06-27-2012, 12:18 PM   #6
Piratwolf
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper

For a hoppy beer, I'll often do a "hop stand" after flame out. That is, let the beer sit for a few minutes before starting the chiller. Then I recirculate the wort, so that the entire batch is about 140 before sending it to my fermenter. I like the hops flavor and aroma profile I get as a result.

That does change it somewhat. The longer the wort stays hot (even not boiling), the more the hops are still contributing some small bittering amounts.
I have a somewhat similar practice: I have a wider-than-high brew pot and do a 10-min whirlpool/rest after flameout before starting my CFC and taking another 20 min to cool the wort. That really gives me a great aroma and flavor as well as a bit more bitterness.

I've heard that the magic number for isomerization is 190F, and I think my wort stays above that until it goes thru the CFC.

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.

Old 06-27-2012, 12:25 PM   #7
Double-R
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Also curious about that,then noticed a pattern to a guy give out IPA recipes
All the 0 Min/flame out additions were "post boil" 30 min whirlpool at 100>150F
Tried it on last brew..still have 2 till i dry hop.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/i-wi...rt-2-a-333387/

Old 06-27-2012, 12:37 PM   #8
Gear101
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 187

OK maybe I am doing it wrong, but this is what I do. I use a grain bag for a hop bag. The grain bag will stretch across the handles of my brew pot, making and approx. 4 inch opening. When I offer the last hops normally I just place them in the bag and turn off the heat. Then pull the bag out on 1-2 mins, and then remove the bag and the spent hop, place chiller in the wort and chill down to yeast temps. Is that not the way to do this?

Islamorada Pale Ale by Island Time Brewery

Stainless is Painless
Pappers_ Likes This 
Old 06-27-2012, 02:58 PM   #9
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2148 Times on 1537 Posts
Likes Given: 1180

My method is to add the hops and turn off the heat and start the stirring the whirlpool. I then let it sit and spin as I prep the chiller. After the spinning seems to have stopped, I start the chill, working from the top and siphoning down. You def. want the hops to spend some time in the hot wort, but of course if you chill, you also want to chill relatively soon.

Note that lately I have started siphoning from the bottom using a copper scrubby placed over the end of the siphon tube. That way I can be cleaning stuff and not have to babysit the siphon to keep it from breaking. It seems to do a great job of keep crap out of the wort and still allowing the siphon to work.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:10 PM   #10
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

I also do an aroma steep in my hoppier brews. I kill the flame, throw the aroma (zero min) add into a whirlpool and let it steep, covered, for __ minutes, depending on recipe. You can get a lot of flavor and aroma that way. There's a great article (set of articles, actually) in the latest Zymurgy on IPA brewing that goes into the different hops additions from mash hops to hopsacks and dry hopping. Pretty good read.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Quick Reply