Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cheese Making Forum > Yet another mozz failure...help?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2011, 05:28 AM   #1
orcus332
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Yet another mozz failure...help?

Ok, so i was pretty excited to get my mozz cheese kit in the mail today from AHS (Austin Homebrew Supply). Since Kroger's milk is not labeled as being pasteruized or ultrapasteurized, i decided to go with some info from a link I found on here. I made 112 oz of milk from dry non-fat milk powder, then added ultra-pasteurized heavy whipping cream to make 128 oz (1 pint). Unfortunately ultra-past. was all kroger had for heavy whipping cream.
Anyway, I followed the instructions to a tee and I still have no curds to show for it. It's been about 45 minutes, so looks like this one is going down the drain. Any suggestions? Can I not use ultrapasteurized heavy whipping cream? I wanted to use a whole milk, but since it wasn't labeled one way or the other, i didnt want to chance it. I can elaborate on the steps if need be, but it seems pretty standard.
Thanks

Primary: Bell's Two Hearted Clone
Carboy: EdWort's apfelwein
Drinking: Edwort's apfelwein, AHS oatmeal stout and lots of new belgium brewery beers brought back to ohio!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2011, 02:03 PM   #2
PantherCity
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

In my understanding Pasteurized milk is ok. You need milk that is not homogenized.

Old 09-22-2011, 07:33 PM   #3
orcus332
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Well mozz making take 2 was a success! Went to walmart and bought some cheap "Great-value" brand vitamin D milk. Says right on the label pasteurized and homogenized (the key being not ultra pasteurized). Got a nice loaf of cheese!

Primary: Bell's Two Hearted Clone
Carboy: EdWort's apfelwein
Drinking: Edwort's apfelwein, AHS oatmeal stout and lots of new belgium brewery beers brought back to ohio!

Old 12-08-2011, 12:10 AM   #4
BigfootCounty
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Krogers milk never worked for me when I was in the area. I'm blessed with an abundance of good milk out here on the west coast.

keep on making cheese!

Old 01-19-2012, 11:57 PM   #5
Lute
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherCity View Post
In my understanding Pasteurized milk is ok. You need milk that is not homogenized.
...and that explains why the cheese I attempted to make this afternoon failed hardcore.

It was both homogenized AND pasteurized.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:05 AM   #6
Pumbaa
I prefer 23383
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 66

pasteurized and homogenized is fine . . . just not ultra pasteurized.

What method were you using? Did you use chlorinated tap water? Did you heat your curds enough?

Old 01-20-2012, 01:39 AM   #7
Lute
Recipes 

I seem to have gotten CHEESE. I turned on the stove top after 2 hours of it not coagulating and SUDDENLY I have curds.

Now I'm trying to get the mozzerella to "act like taffy" like one of the videos I found.

So far it's getting nice and hot but not stringing. My boyfriend said I might not have used enough salt. I'm using the "water bath" method and burning up my hands.

Old 01-20-2012, 01:55 AM   #8
Lute
Recipes 

None of my tap water is chlorinated and I'm pretty sure I heated the curds properly. After waiting for two hours I got frustrated so I turned the heat on the stove on. INSTANT curds! So I tried the microwave method to warm it enough to stretch and I just could not get the cheese to heat properly. So I tried the water bath.

Failed at that too.

I just can't make mozzarella. I wound up making some stupid curdled cheese soup. *sniffles*

I used the 30 min. Mozzarella method that you had mentioned using on another thread, actually.

Last edited by Lute; 01-20-2012 at 02:06 AM.

Old 01-20-2012, 04:23 AM   #9
Randall
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

A thermometer is your best friend just like when brewing. As far as stretching I think the core temp of cheese should be 135. I'm new to cheese making too. Just made my first few batches last weekend. Keep trying you'll get it down.

Old 01-20-2012, 06:43 AM   #10
Lute
Recipes 

I'm starting to think my thermometer isn't working properly, to be honest. It's a candy thermometer that I've had for a very long time now (more years than you can count on both hands). I'll look into picking up a new one when I go into the big city next week.

Quick Reply