Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cheese Making Forum > What cheese to pair with Apfelwein?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2011, 12:51 AM   #1
nukinfuts29
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pike County, MO
Posts: 1,657
Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default What cheese to pair with Apfelwein?

For my wife's baby shower my contribution is the wine, and I have it brewing per Ed's Apfelwein recipe. I would like to make and then smoke (maybe?) a cheese to pair along with it and serve with pepperoni and crackers.

Any suggestions?

__________________

My Recipes: Drunken Emu Hard Cider, Drunken Emu Mississippi River Water
The Jack Keller Collection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt_Kirks View Post
Patience, my Padawon. The yeast can sense your tension.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Maybe you want to educate yourself instead of just having a bunch of pre-conceived notions based on ignorance.
nukinfuts29 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2011, 12:55 AM   #2
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Between here and there, and everywhere
Posts: 12,057
Liked 473 Times on 418 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Default

Gouda and Edam are both really good with some smoke flavor added. You could do some cheddar too (not too sharp though). If you've not smoked cheese already, you might want to make some before you need to make it for the shower.

If there's a good cheese shop in your area, or the grocery store has a solid selection, you might be able to find some already smoked cheese (making it easier on you)...

__________________
Hopping Tango Brewery

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine
Golddiggie is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2011, 01:02 AM   #3
Pumbaa
I prefer 23383
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Pumbaa's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Posts: 7,230
Liked 69 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Default

Cheddar, not a question . . .

pair that with a good summer sausage . . . < drool >

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P.J. O'Rourke
"There are just two rules of governance in a free society: Mind your own business. Keep your hands to yourself."
Pumbaa is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2011, 01:04 AM   #4
nukinfuts29
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pike County, MO
Posts: 1,657
Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
Gouda and Edam are both really good with some smoke flavor added. You could do some cheddar too (not too sharp though). If you've not smoked cheese already, you might want to make some before you need to make it for the shower.

If there's a good cheese shop in your area, or the grocery store has a solid selection, you might be able to find some already smoked cheese (making it easier on you)...
This will be my first attempting with cheese, peiod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumbaa View Post
Cheddar, not a question . . .

pair that with a good summer sausage . . . < drool >
I have about 20 pounds of Deer in various flavors of summer sausage
__________________

My Recipes: Drunken Emu Hard Cider, Drunken Emu Mississippi River Water
The Jack Keller Collection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt_Kirks View Post
Patience, my Padawon. The yeast can sense your tension.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Maybe you want to educate yourself instead of just having a bunch of pre-conceived notions based on ignorance.
nukinfuts29 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Three cheese day! Yooper Cheese Making Forum 13 11-15-2012 02:50 AM
First Real Cheese Topic...Pressing Cheese SuperiorBrew Cheese Making Forum 9 08-31-2012 02:11 PM
New To The Cheese reubadoob Cheese Making Forum 6 06-13-2011 04:28 AM
I cut the cheese! Yooper Cheese Making Forum 6 05-16-2009 11:53 PM
How to Cheese? Soulive Cheese Making Forum 13 02-01-2008 05:51 PM