Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cheese Making Forum > What brands of store-bought milk work for making cheese?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2009, 03:48 AM   #11
avaserfi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

I just got back from HEB. All the milks there were labeled "pasteurized" except for Promised Land ($2.20 per quart ) milk which claims to be "HHST pasteurized." From what I can find this means high heat, short time pasteurization and should be safe for making cheese with. Does anyone know if my findings are right? I would prefer not blow $10 bucks if it is the same as regular milk...

Andrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2009, 01:47 PM   #12
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4942 Times on 3579 Posts
Likes Given: 996

Quote:
Originally Posted by avaserfi View Post
I just got back from HEB. All the milks there were labeled "pasteurized" except for Promised Land ($2.20 per quart ) milk which claims to be "HHST pasteurized." From what I can find this means high heat, short time pasteurization and should be safe for making cheese with. Does anyone know if my findings are right? I would prefer not blow $10 bucks if it is the same as regular milk...
I think it's the opposite- "regular" pasteurized milk is ok, but HH might mean UP. You want to stay away from high heat/ultra pasteurized. Lower temp pasteurized would be ok.

Organic milks seem to be more likely to be UP, since it improves the shelf life for shipping.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 04-17-2009, 03:39 PM   #13
HenryHill
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Milk labels will not say UP on them, if they are; you just have to try and see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
This is HBT of course. Normal Thread that goes every direction but the one intended. This forum should be scientific proof the beer causes ADD

Old 04-17-2009, 04:57 PM   #14
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by avaserfi View Post
HHST/HTST should work if you add calcium chloride. Milk labeled 'pasteurized' may be HTST or UP though some brands (HEB) are actually labelled as UP. I know from experience the HCF brand does not work, and there are no suitable brands at the local Walmart.

I can't tell if the Borden milk HEB carries is HTST or UP since it just says 'Pasteurized', so I may give it a shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 04-17-2009, 10:22 PM   #15
avaserfi
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saccharomyces View Post
HHST/HTST should work if you add calcium chloride. Milk labeled 'pasteurized' may be HTST or UP though some brands (HEB) are actually labelled as UP. I know from experience the HCF brand does not work, and there are no suitable brands at the local Walmart.

I can't tell if the Borden milk HEB carries is HTST or UP since it just says 'Pasteurized', so I may give it a shot.
I discovered that HHST doesn't work to well as it is raised above 170 degrees F.

I did find Farmers Creamery locally at a natural food store (it is made in IA) and it is non-homogenized, VAT Pasteurized (at 145 degrees F according to their FAQ). A little pricey, but the milk is great and should work perfectly for making cheese.

Andrew

Old 04-17-2009, 10:33 PM   #16
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyangler18 View Post
As an aside, I've never seen an organic milk that hasn't been UP.
Exactly my experience. Every single one. Very disappointing. I made a special trip to Whole Foods figuring if any non dairy-specific market would have a suitable milk it would be them. They had like 8 brands of organic milk and every one said UP. A couple of em I had to look hard to find it but they all said UP somewhere.

didn't see that 365 brand though.

I did find a direct source dairy market within reach that I have not made it to yet. Maybe this week. (For aspiring cheesemakers in the Philly area - the market is out on Baltimore Pike in Springfield.)
On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:43 PM   #17
avaserfi
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontman View Post
Exactly my experience. Every single one. Very disappointing. I made a special trip to Whole Foods figuring if any non dairy-specific market would have a suitable milk it would be them. They had like 8 brands of organic milk and every one said UP. A couple of em I had to look hard to find it but they all said UP somewhere.

didn't see that 365 brand though.

I did find a direct source dairy market within reach that I have not made it to yet. Maybe this week. (For aspiring cheesemakers in the Philly area - the market is out on Baltimore Pike in Springfield.)
Check out the brand above it is organic, non-homogenized VAT pasteurized (Post 15). It is made in IA and I am in TX and can find it at local natural food stores so others might be able to find it.

Andrew

Old 04-20-2009, 04:16 PM   #18
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2433 Times on 1719 Posts
Likes Given: 1387

I got a friend who says he could probably find local raw milk. He used to work at a dairy and has contacts with some of the local farmers and buys eggs from the amish, etc. I'm thinking about trying this cheese thing with him and see how it goes. I'm not sure I'll want to do it all the time, but it looks like a fun project to play with. I've already got the rennet and citric acid for the mozz stuff. Just need to find the milk and pick a time.

Homer's Brew Log

Old 04-21-2009, 03:50 AM   #19
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Went to Costco the other day and they had several locally produced milks. Including "Ohio Organic Family Farms" Pasteurized and homogenized (not UP). They also had a "top cream" pasteurized organic milk. However that brand was in glass half gallons for over $4 + $1.50 deposit. The local grocery (Heinens) also had the same "top cream" milk. I think it depends of the availability of locally produced milk. Ohio produces a considerable amount of fresh milk, more than sufficient for the local market. In addition there are numerous local companies supplying milk, most with a considerable history. These types of traditional milk producers are less likely to be UP the milk. In denser areas like the Coasts and south the local demand outstrips the supply and the producers are more large national companies that find economy in UP milk shipped from out of state.

Oh and the local Giant Eagle brand milk made a nice 30 min mozzarella with the addition of CaCl.

Craig

Old 04-22-2009, 05:31 AM   #20
Boulderbrewer
Recipes 

Call the Dairy that the milk was processed from and they should tell you how they pasturize the milk. I know Kemps and Moring Glory in Wisconsin do not ultra pasturize their milk.

On Tap -Old Stoner BW,Wheat, Bohemian Pils, Mybock, DT clown,Oatmeal stout,AIPA, Son of Hop Nuggin'

Secondary- Helles

Primary- Bluebeery Wheat,Weizen

Quick Reply