The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cheese Making Forum > Tried Mozz with Ricki's kit

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2009, 05:43 PM   #1
RedIrocZ-28
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

Default Tried Mozz with Ricki's kit

The GF and I went out and got the kit, and the milk and went to town on the kit.

She bought some milk at the store that I researched, and made sure that it was non-homogenized, and also that it was low temp pasteurized. 'As close to straight from the cow as you can get' the label says. I researched the farm, and their method and process and verified all this was true.

So, we start by dumping the milk in my SS pot and brought it up to the required temp and added the Citric acid, let that sit for the required time, then added the rennet and stirred for no more than 30 seconds. I timed it.

Then we let it sit for about 25-30 minutes because after only 5 minutes the curd was not very "solid", very milky really. Anyway, after a half hour, since the consistency did not change, I decided that we were going to just go with it. So we began cutting the curd, let that sit, then we tried to drain the whey. Got most of it out, and then looked at the curd. It was very runny and NOT well formed. Strained it a few times, still no consistency, so I decided that we would heat it up. That helped. Finally we got it workable. And it eventually made cheese. Albeit not a pound like it should have, but a good 10oz.

Why was the curd so runny? We used the right amount of citric acid and the right amount of Rennet, and hit temps.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2009, 05:07 AM   #2
RayInUT
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

After a few half assed attempts, I've decided cheese is something I would rather buy. Yogurt is easy and good though!

Old 08-20-2009, 07:31 PM   #3
RedIrocZ-28

Recipes 

Like I say it turned out, but it was WAY less than it should have been because the curds never formed very firmly.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:58 PM   #4
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm with you Ray. I HATE to say this but I am just plain happier with my local cheese sources than my own efforts. Including mozz.

I do plan to try a couple different more things, and another stab at mozz, but so far, I am disappointed. BUT, I do have a cheddar in the cheese cave, (and yes, I spent $150 on a wine cooler/cheese cave) that could change my mind about the whole endeavor. We'll see.

Red, you might need a touch of cacl to firm up the curd. Maybe your temp did not get up quite high enough, or maybe the milk was a touch older. Also, you can adjust the citric acid and rennet levels and microwave heating times to fine tune. It is a trial and error type thing though and it might take a few batches to dial in the process.

On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 08-21-2009, 02:27 PM   #5
RedIrocZ-28

Recipes 

Yeah, I bought some Spartan Milk and made Cheddar and all I needed to do was add CaCl to the mix. What really irks me is I spent $10 for the gallon of milk to make the Mozz. And the cheapo $1.88/gal Spartan milk made awesome curds with the CaCl.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:53 AM   #6
Heckle
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

We had the same results as the OP using Ricki's kit. Tried twice with same results. Curds not forming. Been doing some more research and even read Ricki's book. The directions from the kit and from the book do not contain the same steps. Seems they left some information out of the kit instructions. I am going to try again this weekend for one last attempt.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:46 AM   #7
Evets
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 79

If you can get raw milk somewhere, do it. It makes a huge difference. Not that other milk won't work. It's just that fresh raw is better.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:38 AM   #8
Austinhomebrew
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 90

You need to use a 1/2 tablet of rennet instead of the 1/4 tablet she says.

Forrest

Old 01-21-2010, 03:18 PM   #9
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayInUT View Post
After a few half assed attempts, I've decided cheese is something I would rather buy.
Me too. Not that I didn't get some okay results but that there is way too much effort for a mediocre payout.

You can get better results with true raw milk but that stuff costs me $9/ gallon. I can get real Italian market made fresh mozz for about $8/ lb.
On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Last edited by dontman; 01-21-2010 at 03:27 PM.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:10 PM   #10
Heckle
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

We use milk from a farm that we pick up in glass bottles. We are going to pick up some more and will try 1/2 tablet instead of 1/4 tablet.

Quick Reply