Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cheese Making Forum > Today's recipe!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2010, 06:32 PM   #11
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4359 Times on 3169 Posts
Likes Given: 848

Oh, that pizza sounds awesome! We'll have to try it. Our garden is producing tons of lettuces right now, along with cucumbers so we're having feta every day on salads. It's wonderful, but I would like to do something else with it like pizza.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2010, 01:44 AM   #12
MeadWitch
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
I use raw goat's milk. You can used store milk, but not any that is ultra (or high heat) pasteurized, because it'll never form a curd.

I got some of my cultures from cheesemaking.com, and some from austinhomebrew.com.
I almost bought a cheese starter kit for mascarpone cheese when I was in Austin Homebrew a couple weeks back. I passed on it though becasue I didn't have anything to really keep it cold for 5-6 hours. What kind of cheeses do you make? Homemade feta sounds awesome but I would be the only one eating it. Now if it was Gouda, my boy would clean that up!

Old 07-29-2010, 01:57 AM   #13
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4359 Times on 3169 Posts
Likes Given: 848

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeadWitch View Post
I almost bought a cheese starter kit for mascarpone cheese when I was in Austin Homebrew a couple weeks back. I passed on it though becasue I didn't have anything to really keep it cold for 5-6 hours. What kind of cheeses do you make? Homemade feta sounds awesome but I would be the only one eating it. Now if it was Gouda, my boy would clean that up!
I've made cheddar, havarti, gouda, feta, mozzarella, colby, cabre al vino, manchego, chevre, fromgina (that's a new one- just chevre with a different name, slightly sweeter), edam, and alpine cheese. I've never made a cheese like stilton or brie that gets bacteria added during aging.

After all this, I still don't like cheese. I like feta crumbled on salads, but that's about it. Bob loves it, though. I'm making far less cheese now, only two batches a month. I thought I'd like cheese (like beer and wine) if I made it myself. I was wrong. I still don't like dairy, fermented or not!

Old 07-29-2010, 02:40 AM   #14
MeadWitch
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I like almost any kind of cheese except for goat cheese. We have several places around Austin that make goat cheese, not sure what kind or style but I don't like it. It taste kinda skanky to me and this coming from a girl who loves bleu cheeses, especially German.

I guess for you it is the cheese making process that trips your trigger. Happy cheese making!

Old 10-07-2010, 06:30 PM   #15
Beeropolis
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yoop,

What Lipase did you use? I have calf lipase (which is recommended for feta) or kid lipase which is recommended by the person who wrote up that recipe. I don't know which one to choose.

Quick Reply