Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cheese Making Forum > Thick homemade yogurt?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2010, 10:07 PM   #11
Sedge
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My family has always made our own yogurt. We are Indian and its a huge part of our cuisine. When you have some around to pitch into the next batch as a culture its really easy, but in the beginning just go ahead and by some yogurt that contains live cultures. It should say on the package.

Stovetop was the old way, but now we microwave until boiling, let it cool and skim the fat off the top if you wish. When its warm to the touch (never took the temp but it feels like 100ish) mix in the culture. I like to take some of the warm milk and stir it into the culture to make the consistency more mixable then add it back to the milk. Leave it in a warm or well insulated place for several hours to set and refrigerate to conserve. The microwave is good for this, or your oven with the pilot light being the only heat presence. Yogurt is simple enough that I don't see a need to go through all the calculating bells and whistles we do for beer.

Makes great yogurt when you get the hang of it, and you can play around with the different milkfats or adding honey etc. Easy to strain into a Greek style yogurt also.

We generally use 2% milk fat, and its thick enough for me. If you've gotten yogurt from an Indian restaurant before you'll know the general consistency. I don't find powdered milk additions to be necessary, but if you like your yogurt Dannon thick, you might.

Fermenting: Flanders Red Ale
Conditioning: Blackberry Mead, Altbier, Cardamom Saison
Kegged: Vanilla Bourbon Porter, Belgian Strong Dark

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2010, 01:33 AM   #12
madbaldman
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljefebrewing View Post
How much dry milk powder would you add to a half gallon of liquid milk?
I used to add enough powdered milk to make the same volume as the milk I was adding it to. In other words, if I were using 1 qt milk, I would follow the instructions on the powdered milk and add enough to make 1 qt from powdered. Lately I've been making yogurt cheese so I don't bother beefing up the milk as I'm straining anyway.

Old 10-05-2010, 03:34 PM   #13
eljefebrewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Cool. Thanks for the reply!

Bucket: Air
Bottles/Drinking: Pirate's Plunder IPA, Peach Wheat
Bottle Conditioning: EdWort's Apfelwein - some still, some primed

Old 02-24-2011, 04:24 PM   #14
lizimamabear
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Healthy Yogurt

Non-fat dry milk powder is processed at very high temps and pressure, which over-denatures the protein structure; rendering it very unhealthy. we should all avoid this pseudo-food product.

Microwaving anything, fat, protein, vitamin or mineral messes with its structure and should also be avoided. Also heating milk to 180 degrees seems like overkill- overkill of nutrients, esp.

Reduced fat, homogenized, pastuerized milk is the din of western industrialized food. Too bad.

The fatty acid profile of whole milk is what makes it so nutritious!! The lipid hypothesis (that eating alot of saturated fat supposedly causes high cholesterol and a host of other diseases) is flawed and downright WRONG. these studies failed to recognize people were also eating a large amount of TRANS fat, white flour, and white sugar, which are really the inflammatory foods that signal your body to make cholesterol.

Go to great lengths to procure FRESH from the farm raw whole milk, it is a health food you can relish with abandon! Lots of good fat your body craves, plus vitamins, minerals, enzymes galore! Add cream to make it richer and know that this too is healthy and what your body wants!

This makes the best yogurt! But if you must use store bought, go for organic, cream-top, vat pastuerized (whole) milk.

Heat Raw milk to 110 (store milk to 120), let it cool slightly, and whisk in a few Tbsp's organic yogurt or Fage. put it in a dehydator set at 90 for 8 hours, or in a cooler of very warm 90 degree water (you might have to add some hot water once) for 8 hours.

Strain in cheesecloth for an hour after you have cooled it in the fridge some (otherwise it will strain very quickly).

Commercial yogurt all uses thickeners, or it is strained. You can try pectin to thicken if you like.

If you strain in cheesecloth for longer, it makes the best cream cheese! add a pinch of good sea salt and you will be in cream cheese heaven!

This is the healthiest way to make yogurt- full of enzymes and minimally processed. CHEERS!!

Old 03-02-2011, 02:07 AM   #15
kiki374
Recipes 

Default thicker yogourt

I make yogourt from whole Jersey cow milk and follow a slightly different method.
I heat the milk to pasteurize it then cool it down to 52 C and then add yogourt culture AND 1 tablespoon of (1/4 cup previously boiled water cooled with 3 drops rennet).
My yogourt always turns out thick and creamy. It's a tip mentioned in 2 of my cheesemaking books.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:16 AM   #16
kiki374
Recipes 

Default yogourt

I agree with lizimamabear about the microwave and the whole milk.
Microwaves kill your food. Good fat in whole milk.
I just use a cooler lined with a blanket to ripen my yogourt and leave it overnight. The temperature varies very little.
We add homemade jam from either cranberries or strawberry/rhubarb.
Yummy!

Old 03-02-2011, 02:31 AM   #17
itsme6582
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I used to strain yogurt at my first job. We made cucumber ranch dressing with it. The trick was to use a mesh strainer with a coffee filter in it. Put that on top of a one gallon bucket to keep it suspended and catch the liquid. Keep it in the cooler overnight.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:37 PM   #18
kiki374
Recipes 

Default pressed yogourt

That's called pressed yogourt and my kids can't get enough of it!!!

Old 03-07-2011, 04:33 AM   #19
android
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

the heating to 180 is supposedly essential for thick yogurt

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller

Old 03-13-2011, 01:27 PM   #20
doreilly
Recipes 

Default Greek yogurt

We make yogurt very simply here all the time and it turns out great.
We just us 2% milk off the shelf at the grocery store and have never had a problem. We buy a 16oz pack of greek yogurt to start but after that just save a bit from our batches to start the next batch.

We don't mess around with temps we just go by look and feel.

1. Pour 1 gallon milk into pot big enough to hold one gallon of mik. Bring to nearly a boil, when the milk starts to foam and look a bit like dish water, it is time to take off the heat. Keep stirring it though because burned milk on the bottom of you pan is the hardest thing ever to get off.

2. Pour your hot milk into a bowl, I have used glass or plastic, it all works. Let it cool there. I know people have an exact temperature that you cool to, but, when you can stick your finger in it and leave it there while you count to 10 it is cool enough.

3. Take your greek yogurt and slowly stir it into your warm milk.

4. Once it is all stirred in with minimal lumps. Cover it, wrap it up in some bath towels or other insulation. and forget about it for about 10 hours, we usually leave it on the counter at night and come back to it in the morning.

5. In the morning, your yogurt should be starting to look a bit like yogurt. I take a bowl, and set a colander in it, then I line the colander with a clean flour sack towel. Scoop all your yogurt into the colander, then I wrap the edges of the towel over the top of the yogurt. Stick it in the fridge for about 6 -8 hours.

6. You will have wonderful thick greek yogurt, it is like eating icecream. We pour honey on it or mix with fruit, whatever your heart desires. At this point you can remove the yogurt into a new container, cover and keep in the fridge. You should also have a nice size bowel of whey. Bake some bread, make some ricotta or throw it away.

Hope this helps. This has worked great every time we have used this process.

Quick Reply