Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cheese Making Forum > Supermarket cow milk?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2011, 03:04 AM   #1
kyleobie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Supermarket cow milk?

Hey ya'll -

I just tried making a second batch of cheese from cow's milk from Trader Joe's and it isn't coagulating. I've seen pictures online of bad coagulation from hotly pasteurized/ultrapasteurized milk and mine looks identical.

I live in a big city and unfortunately I don't own an automobile to drive to some great local farms in the area. Has anybody used milk from Whole Foods or your local hippie shop for this hobby?

Thanks for your help!

Geography in a Glass:
http://beergeography.blogspot.com/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2011, 06:23 AM   #2
GroosBrewz
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleobie View Post
Hey ya'll -

I just tried making a second batch of cheese from cow's milk from Trader Joe's and it isn't coagulating. I've seen pictures online of bad coagulation from hotly pasteurized/ultrapasteurized milk and mine looks identical.

I live in a big city and unfortunately I don't own an automobile to drive to some great local farms in the area. Has anybody used milk from Whole Foods or your local hippie shop for this hobby?

Thanks for your help!

My wife and I tried three different grocery stores before we found a supermarket brand that would work. We have had success with both 2% and whole milk. They key is to just keep searching, difficult without a car, I know. But Supermarket brands will work if you can find the right one. For the record, out of the three brands that didn't work the first time we tried them, we have since gone back and been able to make cheese with at least one of them. Variation in the milk quality between the first and second try? Possibly. The fact that we had 8 or 9 batches under us before we tried that milk again? Most likely.. Good luck!

Tap 1- JubelAle Clone
Tap 2- Evening Bite Pale Ale
Tap 3- Twilight Clone
Tap 4- Dicks Danger Ale Clone

"Today I felt like burning some calories....So I found a fat kid and set him on fire"

Old 11-01-2011, 04:19 PM   #3
kyleobie
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks. Did you find any trends in the milk you tried (organic vs non for example)?

Geography in a Glass:

Old 11-01-2011, 05:54 PM   #4
Pumbaa
I prefer 23383
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 66

try milk from Oberwise. You should be able to get that in the Chicago area (it's based out of North Aurora) . It looks like they even offer home delivery if you are in their area. (Milwaukee isnt probably for the best or I'd have more cheese the I know what to do with)

Old 11-02-2011, 01:41 AM   #5
kyleobie
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks guys. As it turns out, a coworker told me about a source for raw milk in my city (ethnic corner store). If any Chicagoans stumble on this thread, PM me for it. They also have great honey!

Geography in a Glass:

Quick Reply