Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cheese Making Forum > Successful gervais!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2013, 04:45 AM   #1
Fizzycist
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Default Successful gervais!

I think. Followed the recipe out of Ricki's book and it seemed to turn out great. Super smooth, kinda light texture, not sour. I've never had a commercial example so I can't compare. But I spread some on a graham cracker and it was fantastic! The only problem is after a light pressing and salting she said to pack it in wax paper in a small mold. That didn't work for me at all. The wax paper didn't fold nicely, and just tore and the creamy texture didn't fill in the corners of the mold. I ended up scraping it back into the bowl where I salted it and covered it and stuck it in the fridge. Do you guys have any experience with putting a soft cheese into a mold?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 12:00 PM   #2
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2019 Times on 1451 Posts
Likes Given: 1102

Tell me you are going to name it, "Ricki's Gervais"!!

Oh, and I think you will be fine, although it might be best to make sure there is nothing exposed to the air to dry it out.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:23 PM   #3
Fizzycist
Recipes 

Funny you should bring that up, I was searching the internet to see if anyone had posted a video on how to pack it into the mold and all it brought up was Ricky Gervais. I was a little irritated.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:33 PM   #4
Fizzycist
Recipes 

Blegh, second go around, same recipe, far less success. I realized that I had bought ultra-pasteurized cream last time, so this time I made sure I got regular pasteurized. I think I did everything else the same, but it didn't set very firm and about half of it ran out through the butter muslin. Any suggestions?

Quick Reply