Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cheese Making Forum > slovak easter cheese

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2009, 02:37 PM   #1
RogerK
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default slovak easter cheese

From the Smoking Meats forum I'm on-
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

slovak easter cheese (slovakia, hungary, ukraine, poland etc.)
This recipe is from the kitchen of Maria Macejko Milot, my wife's grandmother.

Hrudka (Sirets - Egg Cheese)
1 dozen eggs
1-2 tsp vanilla
1 quart milk
1/2 cup sugar
Combine all ingredients in a white, enamled pan. cook over medium to low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture curdles.

Pour mixture into a colander that is lined with several thicknesses of cheesecloth. once mixture is drained, pick it up, cheesecloth and all, and shape into a ball by twisting the top part of a cheesecloth.

Tightly tie open end with string, placing string very close to the top of the ball. CAUTION! this will be hot! hang over sink until cool.

remove cheexecloth when cool; wrap and refrigerate.

*the whey from the hrudka can be saved and used when making pascha (paska). to conserve the whey, place the colander over a large pot before pouring mixture into cheesecloth.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Discussion was also brought up about making a savory rather than sweet by leaving out the vanilla and sugar and adding salt and herbs.

It's pretty good and helps us get rid of a lot of eggs (we have hens) and make something tasty!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2009, 08:32 PM   #2
jamesnsw
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

How much does this make? It looks pretty delicious. Is it served alone, or part of another dish?

Some stuff I've made: Odell's 90 Shilling Clone, Abbey Weiss Pottsville Common, Simple Mead, Dry Dock Apricot Blonde Clone, Rye IPA, Maibock, Scrapper's Quaffable Irish Red, Short Sleep Blueberry Ale, Lazy Magnolia Pecan Nut Brown Ale Clone, Graff, Apfelwein, Cascades Orange Pale, Orfy's Mild Ale, Vagabond Gingered Ale
What to Brew for iOS (free)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply