Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cheese Making Forum > Question about cheddar

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2009, 12:35 AM   #1
dontman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Question about cheddar

I made a stirred curd cheddar this weekend. Everything seemed to go exactly as would be expected according to the recipe. Some pertinent info.

3 gals milk
1.5 tsp Calcium Chloride
1/4 tsp mesophilic starter
1/2 rennet tab

45 mins to ripen at 87 degrees
30 min at 90 with rennet
45 min temp rise up to 100
30 min at 100
drain
1 more hour to cheddar
begin pressing

The question is this. The cheese has been under 50 lbs pressure for 20 hours now. It still seems a little spongy, slightly hollow. I am concerned about this. It is the texture of very firm foam rubber. Does this solidify into a standard cheddar texture with more time under the press or drying time or aging or did I do something wrong.

On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2009, 04:44 AM   #2
archroy
Recipes 

I think it should firm up with drying and aging, I wouldn't worry about it. My cheddar that I just made is doing that and my curds on this one were a mess. Still I think I'll wax it tomorrow if it's dry enough.

-Archroy

Old 05-31-2009, 01:50 AM   #3
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

It is firming up. I will be waxing it tomorrow. I think it is okay now. Thanks for the confirm.

I made some mozzarella today using the starter and ripening and hot water bath and all that. It is in the brine now. It is very tough. Tastes good but I am a little disappointed. I am trying to duplicate the awesome Hoboken mozz. cheese I used to make special trips for.

On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Quick Reply