Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cheese Making Forum > Making yogurt

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2009, 11:15 AM   #1
tspilker
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Making yogurt

I found out tonight that the "Active Cultures" on yogurt means its a fermented item! Thats exciting. I guess it only takes about 6 hours to ferment too.

Anyone have any experience with making yogurt? I might have to make a batch.

My question is, I only see people making it plain. At what point would you add strawberries if you were to do such a thing?

Primary1, 2, 3: Empty
Secondary Fermenter: Empty
Kegged: Nothing
Bottled: Ironmaster Porter, EdWort's Haus Pale Ale, EdWort's Apfelwein, Tyler's IPA (Triple Cs IPA)
Future Plans: DC Raspberry Stout, EdWort's Robust Porter

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2009, 03:44 PM   #2
jamesnsw
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

My mom used to make yogurt a lot- it's pretty easy. Try searching Boingboing.net and Lifehacker.com- they both had a recent article on making yogurt.

Also try asking this in the cheese making forum- it actually may already be in there.

Some stuff I've made: Odell's 90 Shilling Clone, Abbey Weiss Pottsville Common, Simple Mead, Dry Dock Apricot Blonde Clone, Rye IPA, Maibock, Scrapper's Quaffable Irish Red, Short Sleep Blueberry Ale, Lazy Magnolia Pecan Nut Brown Ale Clone, Graff, Apfelwein, Cascades Orange Pale, Orfy's Mild Ale, Vagabond Gingered Ale
What to Brew for iOS (free)

Old 05-16-2009, 03:52 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4939 Times on 3578 Posts
Likes Given: 995

You'd add the fruit at serving time.

Yogurt is pretty easy, it just requires a steady temperature. You can use a slow cooker on low, or an oven turned off but the pan with hot water. I'm going to be trying some yogurt with goat's milk, just to see how it tastes.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 05-16-2009, 04:02 PM   #4
adfirmus
Recipes 

In Indian cuisine, if they want to make a yogurt based dish for dinner, don't they usually just leave a bowl of milk out in the morning to catch wild cultures? I don't think you'd get a most consistent results but it may be worth a try with a small batch, or even with a starter taken from some store bought yogurt. Just make sure it's not pasteurized or anything. I've never tried to make yogurt, but from what i've read that room temperature or a little bit warmer (80 degrees-ish) will give you decent results, but don't quote me on that. You can also buy little yogurt fermenting boxes, which is just a temperature controlled trey with a lid. I think i've seen it in SkyMall or something, so it's probably gimicky. I don't know if you would need anything special like that.

In the mail: AHS Sierra Nevada Wheat clone
Fermenting: None yet!
Bottled and conditioning: MW Belgian Wit, BM's Extract Centennial Blonde, Haus Pale Ale

Old 05-16-2009, 05:58 PM   #5
giligson
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yogurt:
4L milk (I like 2%)
One container organic style yogurt (ie live culture)
one cup powdered milk (I like to up the milk solids in mine - this is optional)

Heat your milk mixed with powdered milk up to scalding temp (just below boiling) this pasteurizes out all the unwanted bacteria in the milk. Cool to fermentation temp (25-35 celsius) Add your starter - live yogurt. Keep the temp steady using your favourite method (insulated cooler, water bath, brew belt etc). Ferment for at least 4 hours but up to 24 hours (this is "to taste", the longer it goes, the more sour the yogurt will get).
If you want a more solid product, take the finished yogurt and dump into a cheesecloth lined strainer in the fridge and let drain - If you let it go long enough you will have soft cheese.

We who are about to Brew, salute you!

Old 05-16-2009, 07:56 PM   #6
Bokonon
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I'm not a yogurt fan but I've helped my wife make it before. What we do is take 1/2 gal or gal of milk and add packet or half packet of dry powdered milk to it. Heat that up to about 200 to pasteurize (I'm not sure this is really necessary unless your using some non pasteurized milk)

Cool down in a water bath (or let cool down naturally) to 110-120 and stir in your yogurt culture.

With the oven light on my oven stays at about 80. We move the covered pot into the oven and leave it for a while, usually overnight.

With the oven light on and the the warm milk the temp never gets below 90-95

Using the powdered milk seems to make a thicker product

Edit: We've also taken half the yogurt and made yogurt cheese by putting some cheese cloth in a colander and setting that over a bowl in the refrigerator. This is something I'll eat, it ends up being similar to cream cheese.

Old 05-16-2009, 08:05 PM   #7
Irie5447
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My LHBS sells all different types of make-it-yourself kits including cheese and yogurt kits. They have a website its Fermented Foods You Can Make Yourself. They also have good info on the website!

Old 05-16-2009, 10:40 PM   #8
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 54 Posts

When I was in college I made yogurt all the time. I would scald a quart of milk and cool it to ~120*F. Then I would stir in a heaping tablespoon of active culture yogurt from the grocery store, dump it into a thermos bottle, and put that in the fridge. The next morning I had perfect yogurt. When I got to the bottom I'd harvest a few tablespoons for the next batch, and that worked for a few generations after which I had to start over with a fresh culture since the yogurt would start to get thin and sour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 05-17-2009, 03:02 AM   #9
Mike M
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by giligson View Post
Yogurt:
4L milk (I like 2%)
One container organic style yogurt (ie live culture)
one cup powdered milk (I like to up the milk solids in mine - this is optional)

Heat your milk mixed with powdered milk up to scalding temp (just below boiling) this pasteurizes out all the unwanted bacteria in the milk. Cool to fermentation temp (25-35 celsius) Add your starter - live yogurt. Keep the temp steady using your favourite method (insulated cooler, water bath, brew belt etc). Ferment for at least 4 hours but up to 24 hours (this is "to taste", the longer it goes, the more sour the yogurt will get).
If you want a more solid product, take the finished yogurt and dump into a cheesecloth lined strainer in the fridge and let drain - If you let it go long enough you will have soft cheese.

Thanks, I may just try this.

Old 06-16-2009, 06:23 PM   #10
MeatyPortion
Internet Bartender
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 385 Times on 304 Posts
Likes Given: 222

How about Greek yogurt?

murr
Kegged
Modified Warbler Pale Ale (with wet-hop addition&different yeast)

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Quick Reply