Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cheese Making Forum > Making cheese, yet another new hobby

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2008, 04:29 PM   #11
racer944
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I want to get started with doing cheeses, but SWMBO isn't on board with the whole "home made" everything that I'm going for, with our own wine, beer, and cheeses. I'll get her on board within a few months, so I'm not worried. Keep us informed, I want to know as much as possible before I start!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2008, 04:34 PM   #12
Natas
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billtzk View Post
Have you used Lipase in your mozzarella? One of the recipes I have calls for it. It wasn't included in the kit I got from the New England Cheese Making Supply Company, but the longer recipe in Ricki Carroll's Home Cheese Making book calls for it.
I use the lipase. It was with the initial ingredients that I got from Grape & Granary. I haven't tried it without it, so I can't really give a description of what the difference is.

I agree that you need to add more salt than you think you need. It does, however, give you an idea of how much salt is in a commercial product.
I still don't add as much as what it would take to match commercial mozz, but it suits my taste, and that's what it's all about.

Old 11-25-2008, 05:31 PM   #13
billtzk
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I'll buy some lipase and give it a try.

Once I'm comfortable with the process of making some of the simpler cheeses, I plan to embark on hard cheeses like cheddar and leicester, and then blue cheeses and surface-ripened cheeses. It's the blue cheeses in particular, and the soft cheeses with surface molds like Camembert and Brie that I most want to be able to make.

I just finished off some Bleu d'Auvergne and some Humboldt Fog that I bought recently at Whole Foods. I also just polished off a Stilton that I got at Costco. If I can learn to make a cheese as good as those, I'll be mighty pleased.

Reality is a crutch for people who can't cope with drugs. -Lily Tomlin

Old 11-25-2008, 07:25 PM   #14
Laurel

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I haven't used Lipase yet, I'm not sure what it adds to the final product, I'll do some reading on it today.

I also started adding salt before the first time I microwave the curds. I find that this helps to get them incorporated into the final product a lot easier.

Buying starter kits is a waste of money IMO. Most starter kits come with a book of recipes (which you can get online), citric acid, rennet, and butter muslin which are all available at the local homebrew store, or at austinhomebrew for a fraction of the price of getting the kit.

Old 11-25-2008, 07:36 PM   #15
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4342 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Lipase adds some flavor to mozzerella.

I've made chevre, mozzerella, ricotta, etc. I bought everything I need for hard cheeses, too, except for a cheese press.

I paid $6/gallon for whole fresh goat's milk, and I thought it seemed like way too much! I don't have a source for cow's milk, though.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:28 PM   #16
Laurel

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

In WA, you can find raw milks at coops and health food stores usually. I'd be willing to buy direct from a farmer if I could find any dairy farmers locally, but so far I've come up short. I'll look into adding lipase to my mozzarella.

Old 11-25-2008, 10:12 PM   #17
jvlpdillon
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Doesn't cheese while it is aging smell like like dirty socks? Unlike rhino farts I don't think this would go away after few days.

Becuase this is the myth SWMBO is not on board.

Old 11-25-2008, 10:48 PM   #18
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

If I could choose another hobby and justify the expense of getting started, I would probably choose cheese. I LOVE CHEESE, and it goes great with BEER.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 11-28-2008, 04:00 AM   #19
Evets
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 85

I've had great success making mozzarella. I haven't tried anything else yet. The milk makes all the difference. I'm lucky I guess. I get fresh raw milk from an Amish farm, nearby, for $2.50 a gallon.

Old 11-28-2008, 06:13 AM   #20
billtzk
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

$2.50 a gallon for fresh raw milk is indeed a bargain. That's cheaper than ultra-pasteurized homogenized horrible tasting dead white milk-like fluid you can find at the grocery store.

If I lived further out of town on a few acres, I think I'd get a jersey or a guernsey and a few goats and produce my own.

Reality is a crutch for people who can't cope with drugs. -Lily Tomlin

Quick Reply