Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cheese Making Forum > Intermediate Book Recommendations

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2012, 08:21 PM   #1
ResumeMan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts

Default Intermediate Book Recommendations

My wife has been getting into making cheese this year. She's been making chevre for over a year, and so far this year she's made 2 great brie's.

We currently have the Ricki Carrol book, and she was interested in getting another book. Her goal is to get something that discusses the fundamentals and theories in a little more detail (but she's not technical, so it would have to be in layman's language).

Looking at Amazon, it seems that the Joy of Cheese Making may be the way to go. The other main book that seems to be recommended is Artisan Cheese Making, though that one seems to be more beginner focused.

Anyone have any thoughts on these two, or recommendations for something else? Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2012, 12:34 AM   #2
A4J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I have Artisan Cheese Making. It's the only cheese making book that I own. It goes into less detail compared to Ricki Carrol's book when it comes to general cheesemaking. It does have fantastic recipes.

My mid-century modern keezer build thread.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:55 PM   #3
jwwbrennan
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 40

I just received Mastering Artisan Cheesemaking but already think highly of it. For example I just read the entry for English Cheddar Style Cheese (the most recent cheese I made) and it's a straight forward 2 gallon recipe. Earlier I read why my Cambozola is a little bitter (page 301), I didn't know it could be the rennet. Now I do. The recipes I read so far are clear and concise. There is a lot more leafing to do before I start reading but my concern that it was going to be totally for market producers are gone.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:20 AM   #4
SnupDave
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I would second the above stated opinion about Artisan Cheese Making. I checked it out from my local library, and was a little disappointed in the general cheese making information, but the recipes sound pretty awesome.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS