I cut the cheese!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
And I forgot to take pictures. I cut a wedge out of a cabre al vino and out of a Manchego cheese, but then repackaged with my food saver sealer.

The Manchego (made with goat's milk, as sheep's milk is impossible to find!) is really wonderful. The cabre al vino was milder.

When I pull them out again, I promise to take pictures! My homemade Yooper cheese press makes some unusual looking cheeses, but it's working out pretty good so far.

How about some pictures of the homemade cheese press until then?

That's in the basement- I'll try to take a picture later. It's just two boards, with dowels on the corners. One has the dowels glued in so they are stationary, the top board is loose. To use it, I put my cheese molds in a big bowl with a strainer to drain, and them put the floating board on top. It's weighed down with the appropriate weight- usually it's bags of kitty litter or grain, or gallons of water. It's ugly, but it works!

Sweet... I'm still waiting for pics so I can build my own cheese press.

Like everything I use to brew, I want my cheesemaking stuff to be ghetto as well. That way people will be even MORE impressed when they taste it, after I show them how it was made. :D :fro:

I really need to get into cheese making. I really enjoy a good aged cheese, but the cost is always so high! And there is something deeply satisfying in making your own foodstuffs. Besides beer and cheese, I'm going to try to start canning, pickling my homegrown veggies, making vinegar, making sausage, and jerky, etc. It's unrealistic, but becoming almost completely self-sufficient would be so cool!

...uh, you mean the man of the house??? :D

Are you going to have any left over for the get together this summer?

Heck, since no one is coming for my HBT get-together (except me, and maybe Sause), I won't need to save any cheese for that!

Why does no one ever want to come up north? Oh, sure, I know it's not on the way to anywhere. And, yeah, it's 6 hours from Chicago, 7 from Minneapolis, and 10 from Detroit. But other than that, I mean!

I promise I will get a picture of my ghetto press the next time I use it! You would love the bags of kitty litter (8 pound each) perched on top with bags of grain in ziploc bags. Combined with the homemade molds (some made from old Briess' 3.3 pound LME containers) and a cool whip lid as a follower, it's got ghetto written all over it. The cheese cave (a wine chiller with a bowl of water and a cloth to "wick" up water) pictures are already in my gallery.

Back