Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cheese Making Forum > Having Fun with Acid Cheese

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2012, 05:05 AM   #11
Brew-Happy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccumath View Post
Well, after reading this here a few days ago, I decided to give it a whirl. Have a whole gallon of milk, (now turned into 2 cheese rounds) hanging up as we speak. I did one with 2 tbs italian herb seasoning, as mentioned by the OP, and one with 2 jalapenos in it. I was not sure on how much salt to add, so I added 1 tbs of salt into the italian herb one, and forgot to add salt to the 2nd one. Will do it after it is done hanging. Will let you know how it turns out!

Ryan M.
Hmm, putting jalapenos in the hot milk would add some good spice to the cheese. Great idea! i may try that next.

Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2003!!! Whoop!

Quote:
Now, Harry you must know all about Muggles, tell me, what exactly is the function of a rubber duck?
- Arthur Weasley

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2012, 02:41 PM   #12
MrJames
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Fun stuff indeed. We are gonna take the plunge today and make something!! I may stop at at the whole foods market and check on goats milk. Also gonna stop and get some calcium chloride in case I need it.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:31 PM   #13
mccumath
Recipes 

Liked 198 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew-Happy View Post
Hmm, putting jalapenos in the hot milk would add some good spice to the cheese. Great idea! i may try that next.
Well, I am reporting back on the cheese that we made this weekend. We ate the Italian herb seasoning cheese just a few hours after we made it, and it was pretty good.

As mentioned on the same site as the acid cheese instructions, one of the folks in the comments section talked about baking the cheese. I figured that since we were not going to eat the jalapeno cheese that night, that I would give it a try.

We tore into that cheese today, and it was really awesome! It was not hot/spicy from the jalapenos, it had very good jalapeno flavor and aroma, and was dense and easily sliced for putting on crackers. It had a slight smoky taste from cooking it in the oven (300 degrees for an hour, then 375 degrees for 15 mins). All in all, very good for first time cheese making, and the fact that it requires few ingredients makes it even better!

We are having some friends up from across the state this weekend, so we are going to make it again on Wednesday.

A few more ideas about what to make cheese with:

1. Roasted jalapenos
2. Habaneros (roasted vs plain)
3. Sun dried tomato and basil (with a nice balsamic vinaigrette)
4. Jalapeno Bacon (oh yeah)
5. Roasted garlic

Just a few thoughts, will let you know what else we come up with!

Ryan M.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:10 PM   #14
Brew-Happy
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Well, I am reporting back on the cheese that we made this weekend. We ate the Italian herb seasoning cheese just a few hours after we made it, and it was pretty good.

As mentioned on the same site as the acid cheese instructions, one of the folks in the comments section talked about baking the cheese. I figured that since we were not going to eat the jalapeno cheese that night, that I would give it a try.

We tore into that cheese today, and it was really awesome! It was not hot/spicy from the jalapenos, it had very good jalapeno flavor and aroma, and was dense and easily sliced for putting on crackers. It had a slight smoky taste from cooking it in the oven (300 degrees for an hour, then 375 degrees for 15 mins). All in all, very good for first time cheese making, and the fact that it requires few ingredients makes it even better!

We are having some friends up from across the state this weekend, so we are going to make it again on Wednesday.

A few more ideas about what to make cheese with:

1. Roasted jalapenos
2. Habaneros (roasted vs plain)
3. Sun dried tomato and basil (with a nice balsamic vinaigrette)
4. Jalapeno Bacon (oh yeah)
5. Roasted garlic

Just a few thoughts, will let you know what else we come up with!

Ryan M.
Please keep us informed. Your Jalapeno bacon idea is intriguing. Imagine fire roasted jalapenos with that bacon....hmmmm. Feeling kinda Simpson right now. lol

Quote:
Now, Harry you must know all about Muggles, tell me, what exactly is the function of a rubber duck?
- Arthur Weasley

Old 01-11-2012, 08:16 PM   #15
mccumath
Recipes 

Liked 198 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Settled on 4 new cheeses today. Made:

1: Roasted Habanero
2: Roasted Jalapeno
3: Sun Dried Tomato and Roaster Jalapeno
4: Sun Dried Tomato and Basil

I am pretty excited about this go round of cheese making. I noticed a typo in one of my last posts. I actually added only 1.5 tsp of salt to each batch.

I am going to cook all 4 of these cheeses as mentioned in my previous post. I like the texture it makes, and it gives a nice smoky flavor to the cheese.

I am super excited that I cam across this thread! Thanks Brew-Happy!

Ryan M.

(When I have more time, definitely a Jalapeno/Pepper Bacon cheese!)

Old 01-11-2012, 08:58 PM   #16
Brew-Happy
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Settled on 4 new cheeses today. Made:

1: Roasted Habanero
2: Roasted Jalapeno
3: Sun Dried Tomato and Roaster Jalapeno
4: Sun Dried Tomato and Basil

I am pretty excited about this go round of cheese making. I noticed a typo in one of my last posts. I actually added only 1.5 tsp of salt to each batch.

I am going to cook all 4 of these cheeses as mentioned in my previous post. I like the texture it makes, and it gives a nice smoky flavor to the cheese.

I am super excited that I cam across this thread! Thanks Brew-Happy!

Ryan M.

(When I have more time, definitely a Jalapeno/Pepper Bacon cheese!)
Your combo ideas are great. Glad you are excited by this.

You have given me the idea to fire roast some jalapenos for a spicy&smokey cheese... hmmm

Quote:
- Arthur Weasley

Quick Reply