LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2009, 01:14 PM   #11
brewmonger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evets View Post
Wow! Now there's an interesting response. Lots of good info.

The farm I buy my milk from is a licensed raw milk dealer. They have a modern bottling facility. The milk pretty much goes from the cow to the cooler in a properly sealed gallon jug. It's not like it's ever just sitting around in a bucket or anything like that.
The best part is they only charge $2.50 a gallon.
Fortunately and unfortunately, I live in America's Dairyland, in which raw milk sales to anyone but a licensed creamery is totally illegal. That doesn't mean raw milk isn't available, there are of course a half dozen sources even just in my area. Just don't tell the Wisconsin Department of Agriculture who they are.

The way you describe is actually much safer than the more casual way that most raw milk to individuals is dealt with around here. If the equipment and bottles are clean and functioning properly, then the only potential source of contamination would be if one of the animals was unhealthy or if there was carelessness during milking. Barring that, raw milk produced in the way you describe is (I would argue) much safer and much more nutritious than the pasteurized milk you buy at the grocery store.

Last edited by brewmonger; 06-27-2009 at 01:18 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2009, 02:16 PM   #12
adamziegler
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Wow... great info. I have been trying to make cheese off and on for the past 8 months or so with mixed results. I came across the cheese forum here yesterday, and already have learned quite a bit.

Found a different brand of milk yesterday from a different store... I will try that this morning to see what happens.

Brewmonger... I did not add calcium chloride. I will pick up some later today at the local home brew shop.

Last night I also found a local supply of raw milk about 20 minutes from here. I am just waiting for a reply back on the cost.

Old 06-29-2009, 03:54 PM   #13
brewmonger
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamziegler View Post
Wow... great info. I have been trying to make cheese off and on for the past 8 months or so with mixed results. I came across the cheese forum here yesterday, and already have learned quite a bit.

Found a different brand of milk yesterday from a different store... I will try that this morning to see what happens.

Brewmonger... I did not add calcium chloride. I will pick up some later today at the local home brew shop.

Last night I also found a local supply of raw milk about 20 minutes from here. I am just waiting for a reply back on the cost.
If you are using raw milk you don't need to add calcium chloride, although I suppose it can't hurt, it probably won't do as much. I have never added CaCl only because I have always used raw milk. With pastuerized milk it is neccessary because the protiens are slightly denatured and the calcium is less bio-available. (Calcium is critical to the formation of curd)

If you are getting raw milk from a farm, don't be afraid to ask some hard questions about their animal husbandry practices.

Start with an easy question: What breeds do you have, and how big is your herd?

Are the cows on pasture? If so, do you use a rotational grazing system, or is it just a single pasture paddock? What percent of their diet is fresh forage during the grazing season, and what percent is hay? (Hay is good, but not as good as fresh grass and clover)

Do you feed them any sillage? (Sillage is bad... but if they only feed it during the winter just don't buy the milk during the winter)

Do you feed any grain at all (it is not uncommon to feed them a small amount during milking... but too much can be a problem) Do you feed them soy? (Soy is bad, but a small amount during milking is acceptable)

Questions about the milk:

Do you test the raw milk for coliforms and pathogens? How often? (once every month or so is OK, as long as the results are coming back negative)

What is your typical butterfat and protien %? (useful for cheese making and estimating yields -- a high ratio of butterfat to protien is better for soft cheeses, for harder cheeses you want more protien so it might be neccessary to skim some of the cream if it is particularily rich)

Old 06-29-2009, 03:54 PM   #14
brewmonger
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

p.s. I'm going to start a thread with these questions.

Quick Reply