Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cheese Making Forum > First Time Yogurt

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2011, 11:44 AM   #11
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 952 Times on 676 Posts
Likes Given: 2020

I also make yogurt, its not hard. If anyone has questions, I'm sure there are lots of people here who can help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2011, 04:46 PM   #12
snccoulter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 43

well yogert 1 me 0 it was not good. the kids would not even eat it. oh well i will try again in a few days I think it was keeping my temps steady that caused the problem it would swing from 100 to 130.

“Fairy tales don't tell children that dragons exist; children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children that dragons can be killed.”
― G.K. Chesterton
http://whatalesyou.webs.com/

Old 02-21-2011, 04:55 PM   #13
malvado78
Recipes 

Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by snccoulter View Post
well yogert 1 me 0 it was not good. the kids would not even eat it. oh well i will try again in a few days I think it was keeping my temps steady that caused the problem it would swing from 100 to 130.
I was going to caution that if you are not used to plain (unsweetened unflavored) yogurt it may not be what you are expecting.

My yogurt has come out quite sour. I am still trying to perfect a fairly thick not too sour yogurt.

I have decided for thickness I will just drain it.

Still playing with the sourness. Next I am going to try a different starter bacteria. To date all my yogurt has been made off of a Stonyfield yogurt I bought. I have read that the Stonyfield cultures lead to a more sour yogurt.

So what was the problem with the taste.

The yogurt generally sweetens up well with honey for the kids. We also add cinnamon or fruit sometimes along with the honey.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:48 PM   #14
MikeRoBrew1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 242

We are watching!!! THanks for posting always appreciate posts and pics. Would love to learn more about the diffs between animal and vegi reminant? Would prefer no animal byproducts if poissible

My brew blog:
http://www.mikerobrew.blogspot.com
Follow me on Twitter @WakeMikey

Old 02-21-2011, 06:58 PM   #15
malvado78
Recipes 

Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRoBrew1 View Post
We are watching!!! THanks for posting always appreciate posts and pics. Would love to learn more about the diffs between animal and vegi reminant? Would prefer no animal byproducts if poissible
I am currently using vege rennet. Not really because I care that it is not animal but because that is all I could find readily.

I have read that the animal rennet works better but I great curds from my cheese so seems to work fine.

And sorry bout the pics. I got a Ipod Touch for Christmas. THe pics are on it and I couldn't figure out how to post them from the MBT mobile app. SO I need offload to upload...

Quick Reply