The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cheese Making Forum > First attempt at Cheese

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2013, 03:03 AM   #1
snccoulter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default First attempt at Cheese

So my wife got me a cheese making kit for Christmas and I am finally able to give it a try Sunday. I am going to make a farmhouse cheddar, from Home Cheese Making 3rd Edition by Ricki Carroll. Given my propensity to overdue just about anything I take a shining to I built a cheese press today. It only cost me about $35 so my wife thinks we got off easy so far.

img_20130105_185509.jpg  
“Fairy tales don't tell children that dragons exist; children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children that dragons can be killed.”
― G.K. Chesterton
http://whatalesyou.webs.com/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 03:06 AM   #2
Clearcut23
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Awesome. How long will it take before its ready to eat? I bought my wife the cheap mozzarella kit and she made two batches and lost interest. I've been a little too intimidated to try anything else yet

Old 01-06-2013, 03:06 AM   #3
jcam91
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

That looks crazy. Have the rennet and culture in freezer. Its funny. I can make beer. But cheeze is making me go huh?

Report your results. Errors and triumphs when yiu make

Brew on folks!

Old 01-06-2013, 03:16 AM   #4
BorealBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 102

Welcome to cheesemaking, snccoulter!

I got in about seven years ago...it's awesome!

If you keep everything clean, follow the recipe, and use decent ingredients, you'll be fine, everytime. You might not be 100% on style, especially at first...but I've never had a cheese turn out inedible.

Take the plunge, get the process started...then, Relax, don't worry, and pair some homemade cheese with a homebrew! (RDWAPSHCWIAH? It might catch on!)

Boreal Brewer

-"Son, you can't sing or dance, I don't like your writing, and you can't draw a picture to save your life. But you make a fine beer!" An 80 year old friend

Old 01-06-2013, 03:17 AM   #5
snccoulter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

The Farmhouse Cheddar should be ready in about a month.
Why let a little bit of curdled milk intimidate you. I plan on making salami here soon also. What is more fun fun than Beer Cheers and Salami.

“Fairy tales don't tell children that dragons exist; children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children that dragons can be killed.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Old 01-06-2013, 10:18 PM   #6
richbrew99
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 41

How do you know how much pressure you are applying?

Old 01-06-2013, 11:17 PM   #7
snccoulter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

The book tells you what you need to know as to when to put presser 10 lbs for 10 min then 20 lbs for 10 min the 50 lbs for 12 to 16 hours... for this cheese so far it has been easy.. i have it hanging right now.

img_20130106_152430.jpg  
― G.K. Chesterton

Old 01-07-2013, 12:46 AM   #8
Zuljin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3300 Times on 3048 Posts
Likes Given: 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by snccoulter View Post
So my wife got me a cheese making kit for Christmas and I am finally able to give it a try Sunday. I am going to make a farmhouse cheddar, from Home Cheese Making 3rd Edition by Ricki Carroll. Given my propensity to overdue just about anything I take a shining to I built a cheese press today. It only cost me about $35 so my wife thinks we got off easy so far.
That looks like the one we built. We're following the time, pretty much, but we didn't do anything to rate the weight. We just keep it tight and to where it's squeezing out liquid, for the first pressings, anyway.

It'll be next week before we try our Colby. So far though, it *looks* good.

Have you done anything to determine how much weight you're pressing on it?

Old 01-07-2013, 01:12 AM   #9
snccoulter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I am going to get some other springs here in a few days. I thought the springs I had would work but they are to strong 50 lbs is about 1/4 inch compression. What I did was place a scale on it and start compressing the springs. I am going to build a scale so I can track the compression therefore track the pressure being applied. Today I went with good an firm for the 50 lbs that it will sit under tonight...

― G.K. Chesterton

Old 01-07-2013, 02:02 AM   #10
Clearcut23
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snccoulter
I am going to get some other springs here in a few days. I thought the springs I had would work but they are to strong 50 lbs is about 1/4 inch compression. What I did was place a scale on it and start compressing the springs. I am going to build a scale so I can track the compression therefore track the pressure being applied. Today I went with good an firm for the 50 lbs that it will sit under tonight...
You could probably get a fish scale and hang it from the top stationary piece of wood and attach it to the bottom piece that moves. In theory that should measure the amount of force pushing down as you apply it

Now that I take another look at it maybe you would have to add one more piece of wood up top? Not sure how it works just by looking

Quick Reply