Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cheese Making Forum > Finally found raw milk..

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2009, 08:58 PM   #1
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Finally found raw milk..

Here in Texas I found it a bit tricky to find raw milk. There are only a handful of farms in the state licensed to sell it (and Texas is a big @$$ state, if you haven't noticed) since the Texas ag laws require special inspections and processes that are more stringent than a typical dairy farm. Driving three hours to get enough milk to make 3-4# of cheese isn't my idea of a picnic.

I believe it was HenryHill who suggested on chat that I try looking for a CSA (community supported agriculture). A quick Google search turned up a local farm that gets raw milk every two weeks from a farm way out in the sticks. For $6.50 a gallon I can get raw milk and the farm is a 15 minute drive from my house.

I went out there today and got my milk. Tomorrow I make 2# of Gouda and 2# of fresh mozzarella using the traditional method. I'm stoked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2009, 01:16 AM   #2
zac
Thread Killer

Recipes 

Liked 153 Times on 150 Posts

Sacc,

DONT MILK THE BULL!!!

Old 09-27-2009, 03:13 AM   #3
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...

Recipes 

hehe. I'll keep that in mind.

2# of Mozz the traditional way in the fridge, and 2# of gouda in the cheese press. I really noticed a difference in the texture and yield ... the raw milk is superior in both categories.

Quote:

Old 09-29-2009, 04:05 PM   #4
HSM
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I found this site and found a few local resources. The texas list is huge!

http://www.realmilk.com/where1.html

"Dad always thought laughter was the best medicine, which I guess is why several of us died of tuberculosis."
www.TheFreeSpeak.com

Old 09-29-2009, 05:36 PM   #5
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSM View Post
I found this site and found a few local resources. The texas list is huge!

http://www.realmilk.com/where1.html
Yes I started there but struck out because none of the dairies are within an hour and a half drive of where I live (Texas is a big state). The CSA gets milk from one of the dairies on that list, and since they bring it into town I only have to drive 15 minutes to the farm to get the milk.

Quote:

Old 10-02-2009, 05:27 PM   #6
HSM
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saccharomyces View Post
Yes I started there but struck out because none of the dairies are within an hour and a half drive of where I live (Texas is a big state). The CSA gets milk from one of the dairies on that list, and since they bring it into town I only have to drive 15 minutes to the farm to get the milk.
I found a dairy on the list that is about 40 minutes away that is state licensed. Might be a little inconvient for just a milk run but I plan to convert the family to raw only.

"Dad always thought laughter was the best medicine, which I guess is why several of us died of tuberculosis."
www.TheFreeSpeak.com

Old 10-22-2009, 07:49 PM   #7
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...

Recipes 

Made mozz and gouda three weeks ago with the raw milk, waxed the gouda yesterday we are still eating on the mozz which keeps getting more and more like an aged provolone every day. Both fantastic. I didn't have any problem making cheddar out of store bought milk but the raw milk had better yield and better butterfat for sure.

Quote:

Old 10-24-2009, 02:59 AM   #8
babalu87
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Cool that you found it
Sucks that its 2-3 times as much as milk in the store

Old 10-24-2009, 12:37 PM   #9
paulthenurse
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Location: Down by the rivah, Down by the banks of the Rivah Chahles.
Liked 289 Times on 240 Posts
Likes Given: 47

It's counter-intuitive, at least it was to me, but the milk gets better in the winter when the cows are inside instead of outside eating grass. As teh guy we buy our milk for cheese explained it, grass is full of water. Grain, as we all know, is full of goodness. So your cheese will be better in the winter with grain fed cows.

Babalu, the guys we buy the milk from are down by you, Johnson Bros. farms, just off 105

PTN

Old 10-26-2009, 03:04 AM   #10
babalu87
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulthenurse View Post
It's counter-intuitive, at least it was to me, but the milk gets better in the winter when the cows are inside instead of outside eating grass. As teh guy we buy our milk for cheese explained it, grass is full of water. Grain, as we all know, is full of goodness. So your cheese will be better in the winter with grain fed cows.

Babalu, the guys we buy the milk from are down by you, Johnson Bros. farms, just off 105

PTN
Thanks Paul, PLEASE let me know next time your going, I'd love to tag along. You guys can stop in if you promise not to kick two kegs and leave pairs of shoes laying around

Quick Reply