Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cheese Making Forum > Feta today

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2009, 02:27 AM   #11
zac
Thread Killer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 153 Times on 150 Posts

I used star-san... I sprayed my whole kitchen down... of course, with my mozz, it went from a gallon of mile to our bellies in less than 4 hours, so I dont think sainitation was at the top of the worries...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2009, 02:30 AM   #12
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4777 Times on 3472 Posts
Likes Given: 952

Quote:
Originally Posted by zac View Post
I used star-san... I sprayed my whole kitchen down... of course, with my mozz, it went from a gallon of mile to our bellies in less than 4 hours, so I dont think sainitation was at the top of the worries...
And....for any cheese aged 60 days, you don't even need to used pasteurized milk. But I still sanitize all my cheesemaking stuff, just like for beer. If you're eating the cheese in 45 minutes, though, I guess sanitizing is overkill!

My next project will be goat cheese Havarti, I think. I like to mix up soft cheeses with hard cheeses- as to keep that pipeline going!

Old 05-11-2009, 02:38 AM   #13
Picobrew
Biscuit Enthusiast
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoopernatrix View Post
Well, just be aware that it's like beermaking. You think you "just need some citric acid and some rennet" and pretty soon you're buying a cheese cave. I'm just saying.

Actually, I saw a book at the library that used Dannon yogurt for many cultures, and had many soft cheeses that didn't even use rennet.

I like Leener's website- they have the kits you can purchase, all the ingredients, but also all of the recipes, so you can see how involved each recipe is before you commit to it.

I'll try to take pictures next time. We have a homemade cheese press (it's hysterically funny- old boards and some dowels, with kitty litter and bags of grain as the weight) and I use my old brewpot for my cheesepot, so I really haven't had to buy much at all as far as ingredients or supplies for cheese. Star-san is a great sanitizer for cheesemaking!
Yes I can see where this is going... perhaps I'll have to consciously keep this as a "mini" hobby so it doesn't get in the way of my maniacal brewing. I'm working with 900 square feet here.

Quick Reply