Old 01-03-2013, 01:04 PM   #1
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1900 Times on 1371 Posts
Likes Given: 1045

Default Farmhouse Cheddar

I made some farmhouse cheddar, basically following the instruction in the thread here, but also with some additional information due to the lack of pictures in the thread here.

Anyway, it turned out out pretty well, just took a bit longer than I expected.

I tried my first taste at about 3 weeks just before Christmas. I just cut an edge off the wheel and re-waxed the exposed portion.

I used 45 lbs. May have left the weight on too long, not sure. I can't remember now how long it sat with the weight on it. The cheese is pretty dry and crumbly. I expected this by using too much weight. Maybe try a bit less next time?

I placed the pressed cheese on some chopsticks above a small plate to let it air dry a bit before waxing. Everything seemed great.

At any rate, the aroma was very cheddar-like even before waxing. The sample I tried tasted much like cheddar too, so that's good. It was actually a lot sharper than I expected. I used a whole packet of meso, which is enough for a lot more cheese IIRC.

When I make more I'll try making 2 gallons worth. Might have to re-read the troubleshooting information to figure out why it was so dry.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply