Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cheese Making Forum > Emergency Help w/Farmhouse Cheddar

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2011, 03:25 PM   #11
manoaction
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

We've got some more pictures of the two rounds sitting in their homemade molds. (C-clamp and cut up tupperware).

I am hoping to age it out, but have no experience on whether or not it will work. It certainly looks like cheese right now. It has slightly sour buttermilk smell to it, but we'll see. I throw some new pictures up when I get home.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2011, 02:05 AM   #12
manoaction
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

After heating the curds to a little over a 100 and holding them there for 45 mins, we strained the curds.

After 45 mins of hanging there, we unwrapped them.

Broke them up and salted them.

Then it was into the press made from cut up tupperware and a c clamp. Dan the roomie couldn't take the long hours. He's never going to make it as a Fromagist.

The next day while drying, this miserable bitch got on my counter and snaked one of the rounds. Damn her eyes...

Now I just have the one round left, and it's drying nicely. I had a tough time getting the cheese cloth off without breaking curd again. I need to not mess around and get a regular mold.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply