Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cheese Making Forum > Does humidity matter for waxed cheese?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2013, 01:02 AM   #1
goldy81
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Does humidity matter for waxed cheese?

Hi,

So I recently made and waxed a farmhouse cheddar using the Ricki Carroll's kit.

Unfortunately, I do not have a dedicated cheese cave so I'm keeping the cheese in a
small refrigerator where I keep beverages. I'm still keeping it around 48-50F, but I do not have any mean of humidity control so It's pretty dry inside.

I'd like to know if humidity matters...

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2013, 10:27 PM   #2
Zuljin
16%er
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3483 Times on 3195 Posts
Likes Given: 387

My understanding is that it matters most before waxing, when you want it to dry out enough to be waxed.

My wife is more into it and just said cheddar should be kept at low humidity. Too high and it doesn't cure as well. Neither of us are sure what that means really.

The few cheeses we've made were kept in the fridge after waxing. They came out good.

The only other thing I can think to add is that too moist a cheese will more readily grow mold than a cheese kept properly dry. You can just cut off any mold though.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply