Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cheese Making Forum > A couple questions about milk

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2012, 04:16 PM   #1
SnupDave
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default A couple questions about milk

My understanding is that the difference between pasteurized milk and ultra-pasteurized milk is the temperature the milk was raised to and the length of time that it was kept there (with ultra-pasteurization being higher for both). And my understanding is that pasteurized milk is okay to use (though it won't give you results as good as raw milk), but that you can't make cheese with ultra-pasteurized milk.
I have two questions. First, is my understanding of milk correct? And evenifit is correct, is there anything that's vitally important that's missing?
My second question is about labeling. If something is labelled pasteurized, can you be sure that it is simply pasteurized, or might it be ultra-pasteurized? (If any pasteurized milk is contraindicated for cheesemaking, I suppose this question is irrelevant.)
I'm looking to make my first batch of lemon cheese today (starting with something easy), and I'm just trying to figure out if the milk I picked up for it is even going to work.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2012, 06:39 PM   #2
Pumbaa
I prefer 23383
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnupDave View Post
My understanding is that the difference between pasteurized milk and ultra-pasteurized milk is the temperature the milk was raised to and the length of time that it was kept there (with ultra-pasteurization being higher for both). And my understanding is that pasteurized milk is okay to use (though it won't give you results as good as raw milk), but that you can't make cheese with ultra-pasteurized milk.
I have two questions. First, is my understanding of milk correct?
yes
Quote:
My second question is about labeling. If something is labelled pasteurized, can you be sure that it is simply pasteurized, or might it be ultra-pasteurized? (If any pasteurized milk is contraindicated for cheesemaking, I suppose this question is irrelevant.)
Labeling is questionable. The only way to know for sure is try it since most labels I have seen dont differentiate between simple pasteurized, gently pasteurized and ultra pasteurized.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:12 PM   #3
SnupDave
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Well, that's what I did. I made it. The consistency was a little more creamy and spreadable than I expected, but that's fine with me. It appears that the pasteurization level turned out to be fine, but there turned out to be a different problem. At the grocery store last night when I was picking up the stuff for this, my wife had assured me that we had Kosher salt at home. The salt that she thought was not iodized kosher salt is actually iodized sea salt. So, we'll see how it actually turns out...

Quick Reply