Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cheese Making Forum > Cheeese and homebrew?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2008, 05:23 PM   #1
FSR402
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Cheeese and homebrew?

My wife has (about to) started to make cheese and she had the idea that she could just put her cheese stuff in my fermenting room. At first I said HELL NO. But really, would there be a problem with the cheese fermenting in the same room as my beer?

I do all my fermenting, racking, kegging, bottling and ageing in this room I also keep all my gear in there too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cad View Post
Its nice when you and your friends have comparable equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker-san View Post
some people will tap anything that has a hole.
Buy Two Fisted Brewing gear

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2008, 06:03 PM   #2
Parker36
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I don't see any problem with them sharing space. You have airlocks in all your fermenting beer and sanitize everything before/after a brew session, so no problem there. Hell you even have the opportunity to experiment with some lambics now.

Old 07-01-2008, 06:20 PM   #3
FSR402
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker36 View Post
I don't see any problem with them sharing space. You have airlocks in all your fermenting beer and sanitize everything before/after a brew session, so no problem there. Hell you even have the opportunity to experiment with some lambics now.
My only worry would be when they are open while racking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cad View Post
Its nice when you and your friends have comparable equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker-san View Post
some people will tap anything that has a hole.
Buy Two Fisted Brewing gear

Old 07-01-2008, 06:33 PM   #4
Ryanh1801

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Thats fine, their is **** floating all in your house anyways, putting some cheese in their is not going to change a thing.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:39 AM   #5
impulsoren
Recipes 

I'd be concerned on the part of the cheese, if it is naked to the air I wouldn't want yeast getting on it, that can ruin the cheese. Chances of the cheese bacteria getting to the sealed beer is unlikely though.

Old 07-27-2008, 06:55 PM   #6
brewmonger
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by impulsoren View Post
I'd be concerned on the part of the cheese, if it is naked to the air I wouldn't want yeast getting on it, that can ruin the cheese. Chances of the cheese bacteria getting to the sealed beer is unlikely though.
Depending on what kind of cheese you are making, yeast is not neccessarily a problem.

If you are making a schmear ripened/washed rind cheese (Gruyere, Fontina, Limburger, Muenster, etc...) then wild yeasts will probably take hold initially to raise the pH of the surface of the cheese so that the B. Linens can start growing.

If you are making a mold ripened cheese (Camembert, Brie, etc...) then there's a particular mold (geotrichum candida) that will do the same thing, raise the pH on the surface of the cheese so that Penecillium Candida/Camemberti can start growing. If you don't intentionally apply geotrichum, you could just get some wild yeasts to do the job. Wild strains similair to geotrichum are pretty ubiqitous.

Cave-aged cheeses are also similair. Wild molds & yeasts should be welcomed on the surface of the cheese. The more the merrier.

I don't think any of these yeasts are related to brewers yeast, however. I'm not sure what to tell you about cross-contamination. Personally, I would be a little concerned about lactic bacteria from the cheese infecting my brew, but if you are careful it hopefully would not be a problem. No promises though. I make both cheese and beer, and I keep them seperate, not for any sanitation reasons, but simply because they employ different equipment and require different enviroments.

Last edited by brewmonger; 07-27-2008 at 07:24 PM.

Quick Reply