Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cheese Making Forum > Capturing/Propagating Cultures?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2011, 03:58 AM   #1
EndlessWinter77
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Capturing/Propagating Cultures?

Im new to cheesemaking, just made a fresh acid coagulated goat cheese (goat milk+heat+vinegar) Very disappointed to say the least (had visions of creamy tangy Chevre).

Now ive done some research, and it looks like I need to move on to using lactic bacteria cultures and rennet to get the expected textures and flavors.

My main question is, is there a way to capture and propagate my own cultures? Ive read about getting cultures from buttermilk or yogurt, or just buying manufactured cultures.

Well, I'm pretty sure that 100's of years ago, cheese makers did not go to the store and buy buttermilk, or buy pre-manufactured cultures. How do the professionals go about capturing and propagating cultures in their cheesemaking? Is there a way for me to do this as well?

I don't like the idea of buying a manufactured culture, it seems to me like that would be like buying a crappy beginners extract brewing kit- No room for creativity and personalization.

The store bought rennet I think I can deal with.... Until I get motivation to slaughter an animal and dig through its stomach(s).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2011, 02:23 PM   #2
Pumbaa
I prefer 23383
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 66

I disagree with your thought process. I look at it more like buying my yeast instead of harvesting and farming it but to each his own . . . this may help ya some
FAQ-Cheesemaking and Ripening

Old 12-13-2011, 06:42 AM   #3
EndlessWinter77
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumbaa View Post
I disagree with your thought process. I look at it more like buying my yeast instead of harvesting and farming it but to each his own . . . this may help ya some
FAQ-Cheesemaking and Ripening
Thanks for the info, that was helpful. I do like you're comparison to buying yeast as well... if I look at it that way, it makes more sense to me.

Do you (or anyone) happen to know, though, do all professional cheese-makers, especially the small and local variety start out purchasing cultures such as the ones for sale online? (I would assume the larger and corporate cheese-makers have expensive labs where they can cultivate and modify their own culture strains)

Quick Reply